Help with new pool design (SoCal...south OC)

LOL...filled, that is good one!! We've had zero progress in months. Supposedly workers are supposed to start demo of the existing patio next week, but I still haven't see the change order reflecting the updated plan so I'm not particularly hopeful. Fortunately for the builder, I've had a lot of other things going on in my life so I haven't had time to make his life a nightmare.

I'm praying for water in September. :(

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Well, it's been a looooooong time coming, but the project is finally back underway! I'm trying not to think about the lost money and time...focus currently is on completing the patio extension which has held everything else up. The goal was simple: extend the patio the full length of the house and replace the picture window in the kitchen with a slider -- easy peasy, right? Not with the red tape in CA. Turned out county was going to make us do 95% of the work even if we kept the middle support in place...so that made the decision easy to nuke it. Anyway, here is a 'before' pic...it shows the three-post w/brick fascia monstrosities that supported the existing structure -- what this doesn't show is how much of an obstruction those columns represented to our view.

image0.jpeg
...and the current-not-yet-complete after with single-column supports at each end of the property and nothing in the middle:

IMG_7078.jpg
Those steel posts are in about 5' of concrete that is tied into the house with serious rebar. The roof has to be constructed but oh boy is it nice to have the old structures eliminated. It really opens up the view, particularly from within the house. The kitchen now has a completely unobstructed view of the pool and also the peak-a-boo ocean view (you probably can't tell from the pic but there is ocean in that middle valley area off in the distance) both of which were largely blocked by the old columns from the original structure. The view from the living room is also markedly improved too.

Once the patio is up, the doors will go in and at that point, it will be back in the hands of the original PB and, hopefully this project will be done by the time it warms up.

Last edited:
Looks great and nice view. I've never had luck staining glue lams. Theres so much glue the stain never really takes well and color is off. Make sure you sand any labeling off first very well they are always stamped like crazy. I just trim all exterior projects with pvc boards looks great and no maintenence. They have colored pvc too if you dont want white FYI

Looks great and nice view. I've never had luck staining glue lams. Theres so much glue the stain never really takes well and color is off. Make sure you sand any labeling off first very well they are always stamped like crazy. I just trim all exterior projects with pvc boards looks great and no maintenence. They have colored pvc too if you dont want white FYI
Even gel stain?

What a wonderful difference! Will you try to take up the bricks where they old set was?

Yes, the base of that middle post is already demo'd at this point. Looking out over the pool, the left steel beam come up through the end of the counter where the grill/sink/trash will be, so the 'base' will not be visible at all. I'm assuming we will wrap the post and stucco it or something. The other post on the far right will also be wrapped and to match the other end but will also have an "over-sized" base/fascia because the HOA requires it. It will not be anywhere near the size of the old base and it will not have a brick fascia...we could tile it, like the wood tile we are using on the raised section of the pool (visible on our water feature wall on the spa) or maybe we'll do smooth concrete...not sure on that one just yet.

So, the roof is pretty much on now and they're mostly finished with the rough opening for the new slider. We're replacing the double sliders you see on the left of the pic with a 3 panel stacking slider that will match the new slider...should be a lot more glass and less frame. We're thrilled with how much less obstructed the view is all over now but I expect we'll be shocked again once the sliders are in place. I can't tell you how great it feels to just have this thing moving along again. Really happy with the crew doing the patio extension work btw, if anyone is in the SoCal OC area.

And just to clarify, the taps will be on the wall just to the left of where the new slider is going (kegerator will be on the interior side of that wall). :)

IMG_7095.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More progress! Luckily, there are only two guys doing all the work at this point -- a father son team -- and construction is apparently considered "essential work" so, the project is continuing at this point. The patio structures is done with a couple minor exceptions...still need to get a new gutter put on and another coat of paint...but the roof is on and it all looks great.

IMG_4126.jpg
The bbq and bar structures were roughed out and they've started in on the ipe deck at the end of the pool...and also complete the "big pour" yesterday (patio and fire pit area to be finished in tile and then about ~25 "steppers" or so in various places (mostly connecting the courtyard area to the back yard). It is soooooo nice to have firm ground instead of dirt out back!

firepit_spa.jpg

Planning a 48x48 fire pit in that middle area...original plan called for built in benches along the right and left but we've decided to opt out of those. The pool coping is 18" above grade so it's bench heigh already and we figured small, moveable furniture might be better options than a built in bench along the left. The spa stairs will offer good seating on that side too.

ipedeck.jpg

The other end of the pool is a rather small ipe (wood) deck. The automatic cover is that gap to the left of the deck and to the right of the big post in the middle of the picture.

corner_to_house.jpg

...the 'long' shot of the pool toward the spa. Pool is 4 x 5 x 4. The gap in the bench along the left was put in to allow a space for kids to jump in.

corner_to_house2.jpg

This shot shows the bar counter in the middle...it will have a fridge and sink which should show up next week. The upper structure is the grill area...sink on the left, trash beside that and then the grill. The back wall extends up a bit higher (although not as high as I'd like). The structures will be faced with that same wood tile we used on the spa water feature wall and the side of the pool. Picking out soapstone slabs for the counters now. The flooring will be an R11 light beige tile that can be seen in earlier pictures from the courtyard space.

Outdoor shower is behind the wall of the grill structure. Equipment is down the dog run past the shower.

Attachments

• IMG_5216.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 22
Yeah, that's the plan, to have marker tile on the benches so it's clear...you can actually kinda see where they started laying some out to show what they were thinking in one of the photos above. We're also planning to put a step on the outside of the pool in the right place when we're permitting jumping as well as marking the coping in some way (lines or an X or something) so it's as clear as we can make it where it's ok for little ones to jump in. It will mostly be used by the fam anyway, so hopefully we won't run into problems.

It has been a while with some good if not always entirely apparent progress. Here are some pics...

First shows the ipe wood decks...one at grade level and then the raised one at the end of the pool. The stairs are also ipe and in place but this photo is old. It's all dirty in the pic but wow does it look great when clean. The post has been prepped for cladding (stucco).

Landscaping pics - 1 of 7.jpeg

With most of the heavy work done, we finally took off the plastic on our new sliders -- finally able to look out at the view through the glass!

Landscaping pics - 3 of 7.jpeg

Landscaping pics - 4 of 7.jpeg

Next pic is of where the outdoor shower is...there will be gates at both ends for privacy, well, where you see the 4x4s. This is ipe wood again, which will also be on the floor once finished. Unfortunately the HOA will not let us put a gate at the end of this dog run...they have not approved a single variance in the entirely community yet. I hope I never need a pool guy because he'll half to basically do a complete loop around my entire property to get to the pool equipment!

Landscaping pics - 5 of 7.jpeg

Fire pit was formed...this side actually got a bit screwed up when they took the form off...the bottom edge of the wall busted up a bit. I'm trying my best not to be upset about it.

Landscaping pics - 6 of 7.jpeg

Next pic isn't really pool related but fingers crossed it comes out cool...design of the fire/water feature for the courtyard:

FOUNTAIN 2.2.jpg

...below you can see the main wall is mostly built, just need to form the basin up top, waterproof, and finalize the finish materials... Currently plan is to use soapstone for everything but the actual water wall portion which is the middle recessed area. You can also make out the 14' w movie screen that laying up against the fence along the back left there -- when in place, that extends from the corner of that wall to a few feet in from the water feature. Nothing like watching movies/tv outdoors. The screen will be on a sliding rail system so it tucks neatly behind the back side of the garage. We're hoping to cover the wall on the right (side of garage) with a living wall.

Landscaping pics - 7 of 7.jpeg

Builder was going to just put the equipment on loose stone but advice here was to put it on a pad. I hope it fits everything...this is just past the shower in the pic above. We can always make it bigger. :)

equipment pad.jpg

Builder is saying we're still probably 3-6 weeks from water...and that is assuming I can get my permitting problems resolved. I see a light at the end of this long, long tunnel though!

Reactions: bdavis466
That deck looks AWESOME!! LOVE the color! It is so rich looking!!

That view is worth having! SWEET on being able to enjoy it!!

Love the working being done on the shower. That will be a nice addition!
GURRRRR on the HOA though.

It looks like they fixed the fire pit. Are you going to cover it with something or leave it concrete?

This YOUR thread! Please keep sharing everything. I LOVE that wall and oh yeah of movies in the pool!!!

We're hoping to cover the wall on the right (side of garage) with a living wall.
Now that is a neat idea. Do you have an inspiration picture?

Love the equipment pad. Did you put a light in that area as well? If not look into it. You will thank me in the dark of night!

Here is hoping the problems go away and you can move forward!

Kim:kim:

Here are a few photos of living walls that we thought were pretty cool.

1592151395610.png
1592151343088.png
succulent_wall.jpg

We aren't sure if we'll do this right away though, we may keep it simple for now and just put up a lattice or wires and have a vine/creeping plant instead...a lot less money and less maintenance too, but I do really like the succulent wall idea. We'll see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.