Help with new pool design (SoCal...south OC)

dotbombjoe

Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2017
Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
LOL...filled, that is good one!! We've had zero progress in months. Supposedly workers are supposed to start demo of the existing patio next week, but I still haven't see the change order reflecting the updated plan so I'm not particularly hopeful. Fortunately for the builder, I've had a lot of other things going on in my life so I haven't had time to make his life a nightmare.

I'm praying for water in September. :(

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats

dotbombjoe

Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2017
Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
Well, it's been a looooooong time coming, but the project is finally back underway! I'm trying not to think about the lost money and time...focus currently is on completing the patio extension which has held everything else up. The goal was simple: extend the patio the full length of the house and replace the picture window in the kitchen with a slider -- easy peasy, right? Not with the red tape in CA. Turned out county was going to make us do 95% of the work even if we kept the middle support in place...so that made the decision easy to nuke it. Anyway, here is a 'before' pic...it shows the three-post w/brick fascia monstrosities that supported the existing structure -- what this doesn't show is how much of an obstruction those columns represented to our view.

image0.jpeg
...and the current-not-yet-complete after with single-column supports at each end of the property and nothing in the middle:

IMG_7078.jpg
Those steel posts are in about 5' of concrete that is tied into the house with serious rebar. The roof has to be constructed but oh boy is it nice to have the old structures eliminated. It really opens up the view, particularly from within the house. The kitchen now has a completely unobstructed view of the pool and also the peak-a-boo ocean view (you probably can't tell from the pic but there is ocean in that middle valley area off in the distance) both of which were largely blocked by the old columns from the original structure. The view from the living room is also markedly improved too.

Once the patio is up, the doors will go in and at that point, it will be back in the hands of the original PB and, hopefully this project will be done by the time it warms up.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Looks great and nice view. I've never had luck staining glue lams. Theres so much glue the stain never really takes well and color is off. Make sure you sand any labeling off first very well they are always stamped like crazy. I just trim all exterior projects with pvc boards looks great and no maintenence. They have colored pvc too if you dont want white FYI

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
Looks great and nice view. I've never had luck staining glue lams. Theres so much glue the stain never really takes well and color is off. Make sure you sand any labeling off first very well they are always stamped like crazy. I just trim all exterior projects with pvc boards looks great and no maintenence. They have colored pvc too if you dont want white FYI
Even gel stain?

dotbombjoe

Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2017
Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
What a wonderful difference! Will you try to take up the bricks where they old set was?
Yes, the base of that middle post is already demo'd at this point. Looking out over the pool, the left steel beam come up through the end of the counter where the grill/sink/trash will be, so the 'base' will not be visible at all. I'm assuming we will wrap the post and stucco it or something. The other post on the far right will also be wrapped and to match the other end but will also have an "over-sized" base/fascia because the HOA requires it. It will not be anywhere near the size of the old base and it will not have a brick fascia...we could tile it, like the wood tile we are using on the raised section of the pool (visible on our water feature wall on the spa) or maybe we'll do smooth concrete...not sure on that one just yet.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
All of the ideas would work to tie it into the pool and house! I went back and looked at the before pics....................WOW again! What a difference!! Have you gotten used to the change yet?

Kim:kim:

dotbombjoe

Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2017
Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
So, the roof is pretty much on now and they're mostly finished with the rough opening for the new slider. We're replacing the double sliders you see on the left of the pic with a 3 panel stacking slider that will match the new slider...should be a lot more glass and less frame. We're thrilled with how much less obstructed the view is all over now but I expect we'll be shocked again once the sliders are in place. I can't tell you how great it feels to just have this thing moving along again. Really happy with the crew doing the patio extension work btw, if anyone is in the SoCal OC area.

And just to clarify, the taps will be on the wall just to the left of where the new slider is going (kegerator will be on the interior side of that wall). :)

IMG_7095.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats