Help with New Build Quote & Upgrade Options

Tarina104

May 16, 2021
Houston
Hi everyone! We have met with a few PBs and have received a couple quotes. We would like a salt water pool with spa and tanning ledge. We have little kids as well so something for them to enjoy and for us to enjoy with them and with friends. I have attached a quote to this post along with the upgrades we are looking at. The upgrades I've mostly written down except the spa package is attached as well. Can I please get some advice on whether the quotes sound appropriate and any recommendations on the upgrades from all you more-knowledgeable-than-me folks?? Thank you so much!!

The base pool cost is $40,587 and includes what is attached.

The upgrades are as follows:

4 bench/steps: 18" wide / 18" deep: $180
78 sun shelf- standard 6" depth with umbrella anchor: $585
15 raised wall 18" raised beam: $1350

Water features:
2 bubblers 18gpm per: $600
3 concrete resin spillover bowl (small) 23.5" diameter noble- $1650

Decking:
408 travertine decking pavers (0-300' = $18.50 per) (301-500' = $17.50 per) (501'+ = $16.50 per), sand base= $7140
650 decking artificial turf with sub base: $10,075

(existing decking: 315- top existing decking with travertine pavers= $4567.50)

Tile and Coping:
standard travertine coping is included
54 extra row of tile: $756

spa package: $9380- the rest of spa package is in the attachment

automation: pentair easytouch 4psl: $1910

Cleaning System:
pool- quikclean infloor cleaning system: $3587.50
spa- quikclean infloor cleaning system: $910

electrical:
100 - 2 globrite in pool, 1 in spa: $665

plaster:
428 wetedge pebble finish (category 4): $4275
spa with wet edge plaster: $700

A&A quikpure 3 ozone system: $950
salt system ic 40- $1700

total upgrades cost: $58,622
and total cost: $99,209

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.08.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.08.28 PM.png
    883.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.08.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.08.18 PM.png
    600.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.53.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 4.53.28 PM.png
    666.7 KB · Views: 144
I'll just comment on your quotes in line-

Water features:
2 bubblers 18gpm per: $600 ⚠️ Be aware that all these water features will jack up your pH and require frequent acid additions to manage.
3 concrete resin spillover bowl (small) 23.5" diameter noble- $1650 ⚠️ Ditto

Decking:
408 travertine decking pavers (0-300' = $18.50 per) (301-500' = $17.50 per) (501'+ = $16.50 per), sand base= $7140

Tile and Coping:

automation: pentair easytouch 4psl: $1910 ❌ You do NOT want the Easytouch Lite version. @Jimrahbe, chime in please?

Cleaning System:
pool- quikclean infloor cleaning system: $3587.50 ❌ Much trouble - Go for a stand alone Robot, cheaper to run, cheaper to buy. Maytronics
spa- quikclean infloor cleaning system: $910 ❌ PoolBlaster Max hand vac for aprox $175 will serve you better.

electrical:
100 - 2 globrite in pool, 1 in spa: $665 ❌ Oh No! BAD stuff- propiratory niche makes replacements a royal pain. Go with Microbrites.

plaster:

A&A quikpure 3 ozone system: $950 ❌❌❌❌ Huge waste of coin. Salt system is all you need.
salt system ic 40- $1700 💯✅💯✅ Have a cell that is at least 2x volume of pool.

We know where to order a robot from at good prices... go indipendent of PB if you're concerned with money. A robot does not require a secondary pump to run (cha$ching) to work. Just needs a GFCI outlet near the pool. Which you need anyway to charge your phone.

A water bib near the pool is always handy for watering deck flowers and topping up the pool.

Just some thoughts....

Maddie 🌻

Tar,

Buying an In floor cleaning system )IFCS) at one time made sense.. Like maybe buying an iPhone1 when they first came out.. But would you buy an iPhone1 today, I think not, as there are better options now. The main problem with IFCS is they make simple pool plumbing very complex and make future repair and upgrades almost impossible. If you do decide to go with an IFCS, make sure you have it is plumbed so that you can shut it off and just use the wall returns.. In most cases this is impossible so you are stuck with it for life.

You list a EasyTouch 4PSL... that is not a valid model number but you need to make sure it is NOT a PSL4... the "L" stands for lite as in the kind of salad dressing that no one can stand. If I were a pool builder I would be ashamed to sell one. They are a very cheap imitation of a real EasyTouch. They only have 4 programs or schedules, no load center for all your circuit breakers and very limited functions.. You will not be happy with the lite version, so double check what you are getting. You want a real EasyTouch with built in SWCG Power Center along with the IC40 salt cell.. A salt cell is all you need. Ozone is just a way to move your money into the pool builder's pocket... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tar,

Buying an In floor cleaning system )IFCS) at one time made sense.. Like maybe buying an iPhone1 when they first came out.. But would you buy an iPhone1 today, I think not, as there are better options now. The main problem with IFCS is they make simple pool plumbing very complex and make future repair and upgrades almost impossible. If you do decide to go with an IFCS, make sure you have it is plumbed so that you can shut it off and just use the wall returns.. In most cases this is impossible so you are stuck with it for life.

You list a EasyTouch 4PSL... that is not a valid model number but you need to make sure it is NOT a PSL4... the "L" stands for lite as in the kind of salad dressing that no one can stand. If I were a pool builder I would be ashamed to sell one. They are a very cheap imitation of a real EasyTouch. They only have 4 programs or schedules, no load center for all your circuit breakers and very limited functions.. You will not be happy with the lite version, so double check what you are getting. You want a real EasyTouch with built in SWCG Power Center along with the IC40 salt cell.. A salt cell is all you need. Ozone is just a way to move your money into the pool builder's pocket... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Awesome, thank you so much! The builder has it down as "Easy Touch 4 PSL" as an option and then another option is "Easy Touch 8 " both are listed as remote system with smart device interface. I will ask for the non lite version, possibly the 8 and get rid of ozone. I had read here about ozone being redundant anyway.
My husband is the one that wants the in floor system so badly so I'll have to have him read this. His uncle has it in his salt pool he's had for years and says it's the best thing so he's going based off that.

His uncle has it in his salt pool he's had for years and says it's the best thing so he's going based off that.

Tar,

The problem is it is very hit or miss as to how well they work. Plus you have to run the pump to get it work..

Anyway, our job is to provide you with our opinions.. It is your job to build the pool you want.. Only later will you be able to determine who was right.. :mrgreen:

I said this above, but just to stress the point.. If you install an IFCS make sure that it is built so that you can shut if off if you want.. Most are not built that way and then you are stuck with it.. forever!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

i don't have one and never have - but i can't imagine it being easier or better than a robot. Not having to run the pump to clean the pool is great. Plus if the robot breaks I can get a new one without having to deal with infrastructure repair.

I'll just comment on your quotes in line-

Water features:
2 bubblers 18gpm per: $600 ⚠️ Be aware that all these water features will jack up your pH and require frequent acid additions to manage.
3 concrete resin spillover bowl (small) 23.5" diameter noble- $1650 ⚠️ Ditto

Decking:

Tile and Coping:

automation: pentair easytouch 4psl: $1910 ❌ You do NOT want the Easytouch Lite version. @Jimrahbe, chime in please?

Cleaning System:
pool- quikclean infloor cleaning system: $3587.50 ❌ Much trouble - Go for a stand alone Robot, cheaper to run, cheaper to buy. Maytronics
spa- quikclean infloor cleaning system: $910 ❌ PoolBlaster Max hand vac for aprox $175 will serve you better.

electrical:
100 - 2 globrite in pool, 1 in spa: $665 ❌ Oh No! BAD stuff- propiratory niche makes replacements a royal pain. Go with Microbrites.

plaster:

A&A quikpure 3 ozone system: $950 ❌❌❌❌ Huge waste of coin. Salt system is all you need.
salt system ic 40- $1700 💯✅💯✅ Have a cell that is at least 2x volume of pool.

We know where to order a robot from at good prices... go indipendent of PB if you're concerned with money. A robot does not require a secondary pump to run (cha$ching) to work. Just needs a GFCI outlet near the pool. Which you need anyway to charge your phone.

A water bib near the pool is always handy for watering deck flowers and topping up the pool.

Just some thoughts....

Maddie 🌻
Thank you so much Maddie! This is so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to go through it all. I spoke to one of the builders and they said Jandy makes the best LED lights for the pool- better than microbrite??
Also, my husband is 100% set on the in floor cleaning system so if we are changing it, I will have to give him 100 reasons why!

Tar,

The problem is it is very hit or miss as to how well they work. Plus you have to run the pump to get it work..

Anyway, our job is to provide you with our opinions.. It is your job to build the pool you want.. Only later will you be able to determine who was right.. :mrgreen:

I said this above, but just to stress the point.. If you install an IFCS make sure that it is built so that you can shut if off if you want.. Most are not built that way and then you are stuck with it.. forever!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ahh great point! Thank you so much Jim!

Thank you so much Maddie! This is so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to go through it all. I spoke to one of the builders and they said Jandy makes the best LED lights for the pool- better than microbrite??
Also, my husband is 100% set on the in floor cleaning system so if we are changing it, I will have to give him 100 reasons why!
At one point in time a floor cleaning system was the best option - but they are now legacy - If your husband's uncle built a pool today and had a robot vacuum your husband would be enamored with the concept of a robot vacuum. What else can you do with $3000? I think that is what you should be thinking about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You tanning ledge and raised beam and bubbler prices look very good compared to what those are costing me in DFW.

I don’t think that price is unreasonable especially at this time when all PB’s are backed up here in Houston.
I agree with above ditch the infloor system and get a robot. People I know who have the IFS wish they had just got a robot. Ditch the Ozone thing. Complete Waste of money and useless. What is level 4 Wet Edge? Is that the Primera Stone? If it is that’s a heck of a deal. I absolutely love my Saphire Treasure Primera Stone.
if you want a good upgrade look at a Chiller for your pool unless u like swimming in a bathtub from July-September. Best upgrade I made for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
An IFCS often has spots where they sort of "miss".... and gawd forbid the system break down. Ugh! If Hubby really insists make sure that the IFCL is plumbed entirely separate from the rest of the plumbing so if you have problems with it, your entire pool plumbing isn't down at the same time.
Robots do the floors, climb and brush the walls (yay!) and cost a LOT less.

Maddie ✌️

This is a REALLY good robot that MANY of us here have purchased.... $750 I recall? With $25 rebate!

Even the fancier ones are a bargain compared to an IFCS

Where we suggest you buy from...tax and shipping free.

Reactions: sham
I don’t think that price is unreasonable especially at this time when all PB’s are backed up here in Houston.
I agree with above ditch the infloor system and get a robot. People I know who have the IFS wish they had just got a robot. Ditch the Ozone thing. Complete Waste of money and useless. What is level 4 Wet Edge? Is that the Primera Stone? If it is that’s a heck of a deal. I absolutely love my Saphire Treasure Primera Stone.
if you want a good upgrade look at a Chiller for your pool unless u like swimming in a bathtub from July-September. Best upgrade I made for sure!
thank you for the help!!! My husband is set on the in floor cleaner but will get rid of the ozone and I am asking about the wet edge and adding chiller. we are meeting them tomorrow.

This is a REALLY good robot that MANY of us here have purchased.... $750 I recall? With $25 rebate!

thank you!!!

thank you!!!

Ok I convinced him! We will get the dolphin you posted :) thank you guys!!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Agree! We ordered from Marina a few months ago and love ours! Replaced our polaris cleaner because our booster pump was about to die. The robotic is so much better!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I got an updated quote now and we are about to sign the contract. Please give me any tips you may have on what to watch out for on contracts (besides pricing)! I am attaching screenshots of the pricing and what's included. If you want to see fine print, let me know and I can post it.

Updates we made:
took out 1 bubbler
switched pentair 4PSL controller to intellicenter
got rid of ozone
added chiller
got rid of IFCS
changed glowbrite to microbrite lights

THANK YOU!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.44.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.44.16 PM.png
    538.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.13 PM.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.41 PM.png
    592.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.28 PM.png
    476.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.45 PM.png
    491.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.48 PM.png
    501.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.51 PM.png
    571.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.55 PM.png
    482 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.19 PM.png
    617.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.43.59 PM.png
    446.2 KB · Views: 62

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.