Help with my Heater - Pilot Won't Ignite

kchinger

Aug 20, 2017
Southeast PA
Raypak 2100, 350k BTU I think if it matters, natural gas. Based on the pictures in the manual I think I have the Honeywell VR8300 valve.

After the winter I went to turn it on the first time yesterday (a day before a pool party of course, because I'm a moron who can't plan ahead) and it won't light. I took the door off so I could see the pilot, and I have the pilot valve turned to on, I have the main gas shutoff turned on, and when it calls for heat I can see it spark at the pilot, but after a couple tries it gives up, and the service light goes on.

On the back of the control board there is Overheat (LED) Sensor (LED) Fail, and the LED between overheat and sensor is lit once it fails, not sure what that means.

Everything online (and in the manual) basically says either the pilot valve is bad, or the tube is clogged. Clogged after the winter seems like a pretty good bet, but I'm not super familiar with gas systems.

Do I just unscrew the pilot tube from the valve side and the other side and blow it out with some compressed air and try again? I haven't smelled any gas at all, which seems a little odd for something that isn't lighting. I feel like I should smell a little something.

I guess if it isn't the tube being clogged, I just need to replace the valve? Is this a DIY kind of thing? Where could I get one quickly, and do I have to do a one-to-one replacement or are there options?

Edit: looks like I can get a VR8300 from Ferguson locally today. Is replacing a pilot valve something I can handle? I've done plumbing, and I'm an electrical engineer, but gas is a different thing.

Thanks.

The pilot assembly could be clogged most likely. You can disconnect it and then blow into the end that was screwed into the gas valve. You should be able to blow air thru it.

"Experts" came yesterday. They diagnosed it as a bad control board. Of course they didn't have one with them and have to order it and come back (obviously, why would you bother carrying one of the most common parts for one of the most common heater brands, after I told you what was wrong and it was likely the control board).

I came home and the lights in the pool house and outside the pool house were left on. They had removed my Off tripper from the timer so the pump was running when it shouldn't have been (and making chlorine when it shouldn't have been). There was water on the floor for some reason. And my robot was laying on its tracks instead of on its side like I left it.

Morons. This is why I do everything possible myself. Everyone else is completely useless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.