Help with initial balance

Jun 6, 2020
Knoxville, TN
I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions. We just finished filling our brand new pool (22k AG SWG) 6 days ago and at the time my TF100 test kit hadn't arrived yet so I let the pool store test my chemicals. (I know, I know, but I had to start somewhere.)
Anyway, of course my levels were zilch. My SWG was flashing low salt the first day, but by the time the water was filled completely and I collected my sample for the store the next morning that light had went off. My sample was reading 2800 according to the store (would like it to be 3000-3500) but since the salt just went in the day before they said give it a day or two more to fully dissolve before I worried about it. Ok, no problem there, but now I've tested it with the strips (all that was available) and even though I swear I'm not color blind I can't determine which shade level best matches my strips. I'm including 3 pictures for comparison hoping someone with more experience can give me their opinion. Same with borate, again, just the strip and I can't tell.
Of course my CYA, chlorine, calcium and borates were all extremely low, but rather than using shock or tablets I went with bleach for the chlorine and the store had already given me stabilizer, boric acid, and calcium chloride included in my start up package. They tried to sell me something to bring my alkalinity and ph up, but I didn't buy it because I knew I could use baking soda instead.
I used the pool math app and added the amount of baking soda suggested, although I added too much all at once instead of adding, testing, and adding more, so I'm afraid I'm a little too high now. My ph has been at 7.5 with alkalinity at 110 for several days, but after a bunch of rain yesterday my ph went up to about 7.8 and the alkalinity is still around 110. I plan on adding some muriatic acid to get that back where it needs to be.
My CH is still low, currently sitting at 150, but I'm not worried about that right now since it's a vinyl pool.
The bleach got my chlorine up to 3 (FC 3, CC 0 = TC 3) and its been holding steady for days, but now with yesterday's rain my levels have varied, but I'm still at 3 with FC 2.5 & CC .5.
Here's my biggest concern.... the store told me to add 7 lbs of dry stabilizer to raise my CYA. Pool Math suggested 9 lbs. They had given me 8 pounds with my package so I went with that and added it in over a period of 3 days time. I put about 2 pounds at a time in a sock inside the skimmer, making sure not to obscure it. (I know some people say not to add it in the skimmer, but that was specifically what the directions said to do and hey, I'm still new, lol.) From everything I've read though, it seems like that sock should have taken a while to dissolve, but mine literally took just a couple hours and my VS pump was only running on low the whole time. Is that normal? Anyway, 3 days after the full 8 pounds was dissolved my CYA is still sitting at 30 tops, actually it's probably more like 25. What in the world? Did it dissolve too quickly to do any good? Was it bad stabilizer? I don't want my pool sitting with low CYA, but I don't want to overload it if it takes time to show up. But 3 days later?! I started putting the first couple pounds in 6 days ago! Does anybody have any clues that could help me on this?!

Thanks for any input on CYA and/or salt & borate strip readings.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200724-170136_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200724-170136_Gallery.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 3
  • SmartSelect_20200724-170119_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200724-170119_Gallery.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 3
  • SmartSelect_20200724-170202_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200724-170202_Gallery.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 2
  • SmartSelect_20200724-165956_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200724-165956_Gallery.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SmartSelect_20200724-170014_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200724-170014_Gallery.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2
  • SmartSelect_20200724-170029_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200724-170029_Gallery.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
Really need to be patient until your test kit arrives. With incorrect readings, any adjustments could be making a bigger issue.
One you get your kit, the experts will guide you! 😀

I wouldn’t worry about borates yet. Get the pool settled first.
7.5 ph is fine, don’t mess with it until nearly 8. As you add acid to lower ph, your TA will slowly lower. No rush on TA.
ugg sorry, scrolling to see tests. Yeah, add muriatic acid to lower ph to about 7.2

Just finished filling our 22,500k pool about 10 days ago and added my initial doses of stuff to get all my levels up. All my numbers are looking good EXCEPT CYA. The store who sold me my pool recommended 7 lbs of stabilizer to get started and pool math recommended 9 lbs in order to get to 50. I was given 8 lbs of dry stabilizer with my pool package so I went ahead and added it all, 2 lbs at a time, over a period of 3 days. A full week later my CYA level is still low at 30, actually closer to 25.

One thing I thought was strange was that other people have posted about how their dry stabilizer took hours to dissolve. I put my dry stabilizer into a sock close to my skimmer and return, and each time I added about 2 lbs it was gone within 2 hours or less. Is this normal? Was the stabilizer not any good? Do I need to try using liquid stabilizer instead?

I don't want to add dichlor because I have a SWG and my chlorine levels have been perfect right where they are so I'd prefer not to mess with that. The pool math app tells me I need to add ANOTHER 4 lbs of dry stabilizer to get to 50 after the 8 lbs I've already put in. I'm scared to put too much, but what in the world happened with my initial stabilizer that it didn't work like it should have? Any ideas?

FC 3
TC 0
CC 3
PH 7.6
TA 90
CH 150 - (I know this is low)
CYA 25
Salt 3000
BOR 35 - (I know this is low too, picking up some Borax tomorrow)
Temp 86

I would wait a few days and see if the CYA will rise. If it came out of the sock that easily, it may have been very fine. That means some of it may have made its way to the filter and will take some time to dissolve.

For the sake of FC levels, assume the CYA you put in has raised your levels as you expected.

Not sure I would have started with borates right off. Your TA is on the high side and that will make things more difficult to manage with the borates in the water.

CH is of no consequence in your pool type. No need to add any calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.