Help with getting rid of dirt/silt in my pool or refilling it

Tjones3129

Jul 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Hi, My name is Theresa. I am new to this forum. I'm very frustrated. Well, so is my husband. We've had an in-ground pool for 18 years. The past couple of years it has been getting harder and harder to get it clean and clear. This year we are actually thinking of draining it completely, cleaning the liner, and refilling it. It is FULL of dirt/silt that we can't get rid of no matter how much we've spent on chemicals: algaeside (sp?), chlorine, shock, clarifier, phosphate minus, PH minus, etc., etc., etc. Nothing is working this year. We had to fill it a little this year and it seemed right after filling it the water turned. I think they had been messing with the fire hydrants in the area and the water was not clean at the time. They do this periodically. Of course, we didn't know. Perfect timing! In any case, we can't get it clean. Any suggestions for cleaning it before the last resort of draining it? If we do drain it, what suggestions does any one have there?

Theresa

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Theresa!
Can you give us some more information? If you fill out your signature with pool type, volume, pump, filter, test kit, etc it really helps us help you.
Do you have a full set of test results?
Are you sure it is dirt? Does the material brush and vacuum easily or does it 'poof' away when you get close to it?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.