Help with Design (Returns, Skimmers, Lights)

raz

May 28, 2020
Tennessee
My PB is about to break ground. I have read a lot on this forum. Of course, this makes me question some things. I have attached a sketch of my pool. It is a 20x40 gunite pool, the depth from the top of my 6" tile starts at 4' and ends at 6'2". The length of the pool runs from the southwest to the northeast. The wind blows out of the southwest. There is an 8'x11' ledge in the west corner that is 12" deep from the top of the tile. Question 1. My PB wants to place all three returns and both skimmers on the southeast wall. I am concerned that without a skimmer on the northeast wall, material will accumulate there. Also, I don't think returns on the southeast wall will be sufficient to keep water moving over the ledge. Can someone knowledgeable please let me know where I should put returns (including how deep) and skimmers? Question 2. My PB says one LED light shining from the northeast wall will be sufficient. Do you agree?
Thank you for any help provided.

Attachments

• Pool Drawing 2021-07-12-a.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Welcome to TFP.

I would put two skimmers on the SE wall and 3 returns on the NW wall.

Where is your house located? You don't want pool lights shining towards the house.

You need 3 to 4 LED light depending on the specific lights being used.

Pentair has a few models of LED lights. They vary in size and type of niche required. The chart below summarizes the light specifications.

Pentair_Light_Comparison.png

Pentair guideline is to aim for 4 lumens per square foot of pool surface. For example, if the pool is 500 sq-ft then you need 500x4=2000 lumens. This would be 4 MicroBrites or 2 IntelliBrite rgb.

Inyo Pools also has a good blog on How Many Lights Do I Need For My Pool? with a table summarizing the coverage of the different Pentair lights.

Jandy has an excellent LED Lighting Design Guide.

Thank you, ajw22. My house is located on the southeast side of the pool.

A couple of follow-up questions. 1. I had read on this forum that you should have a skimmer on the downwind wall (in my case, the northeast wall). You don't recommend that. Can you tell me why? 2. How deep should the returns be?

Thank you, again.

Thank you, ajw22. My house is located on the southeast side of the pool.

A couple of follow-up questions. 1. I had read on this forum that you should have a skimmer on the downwind wall (in my case, the northeast wall). You don't recommend that. Can you tell me why? 2. How deep should the returns be?

Thank you, again.

The NE wall does not look like the best area for skimmers. Trying to funnel all pool water to flow towards the short wall will not work well.

You could put one skimmer on the NE wall and one on the NE third of the SE wall.

It looks like the NW wall has benches or ledges running along it. How deep the returns are depends on the dimensions of the ledges. The returns can go above or below any bench.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.