Help WIth Coping & Decking Choice Issues /Gunite Stage Complete

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
Our pool is well underway, gunite was competed today. I am struggling now with coping and decking choice issues and could use some feedback. When I designed the look and feel of the pool and yard I was shooting for very modern with sort of a miami coastal look using whites , blues and grey.

Coping
The coping for the pool was supposed to be stark white and the only way to do that was with precast . The PB told me last week that there is a 4-6 month wait on precast so that is now out. The only choice they gave me was an off white travertine ( Southern White from Master Tile ) , on my own I have found a marble, bright white with gray at Noble Tile and an alabaster with touch of silver from NPT , Curious to know anyones thoughts on these choices as it pertains to materials and which way to go .

Decking
I had entertained the idea of using broom concrete . A few weeks ago my husband's friend who owns a pool company told us we really needed to use pavers . I called our PB to upgrade my deck to pavers and was informed that they do not do/offer pavers. So my question is, do I try to reach out to a paver contractor to do the deck and see if the PB will allow that ? Pros/ Cons? or do I stay with the broom, concrete ( There are many pool pavers I have found at NPT and other pool paver suppliers l that I like .

I would be grateful for any feedback.

All your coping options sound really good. I’d just make sure your options come in the size and edging cut you want. That might make the decision for you.

We did a mix of pavers and concrete. Initial plan was all pavers but builder mentioned we would save money mixing the two and the equipment pad is better on concrete. One pool company I had a meeting with told me they did not do pavers. I couldn’t believe it but went back to look at their pools and yes, they didn’t. You’re in a tough position because that’s your builder.

I really liked how their concrete turned out in this thread but they also did a mix of the two.

Edit: Another company I met with told me they only do pavers and not poured concrete.

Actually we’d asked about 80 percent paver 20 percent concrete. Initially was told it would probably cost more to change some to concrete. Later builder said we would end up saving a little bit to do that mix so we opted for it.

Last edited:
We are considering travertine but now are also considering Marbella tile for the deck tile and possibly the coping due to the cost differential. It is basically a harder limestone tile as I appreciate it. Was curious is anyone had used Marbella tile or had thoughts on that? Thanks.

Reactions: parkinsmith
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.