Help with alkalinity

Nanifen

Jun 10, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sorry for the long post:

I’m new and have been trying since Sunday to balance the chemicals in my new pool.

I’ve studied all the info at trouble free pool and use their app, pool math.

I’m getting close:

PH 7.5-7.8
FCl .1- added liquid chlorine in ant suggested by pool math
TCl .5
TH 250+
CYA 40-50
Alk 150-180****

Pool math has said to decrease Alk add Muriatic acid to decrease PH to 7.2 and airate pool to increase PH. I’ve done this last 2 days and Alk has barely gone down. It was 180.

Any suggestions????? Help

Hi, welcome to TFP! How stable was your pH before you started adjusting TA? If pH is fairly stable then you don't need to adjust it to satisfy parameter requirements. The main reason to adjust TA is to help control and stabilize the rate of pH fluctuation.

Hi, welcome to TFP! How stable was your pH before you started adjusting TA? If pH is fairly stable then you don't need to adjust it to satisfy parameter requirements. The main reason to adjust TA is to help control and stabilize the rate of pH fluctuation.
The first reading was 8.4, on Monday. I added acid as suggested and it dr teased to normal range snd has stayed there. TA has been maintaining around 150-180

First and foremost, WELCOME TO TFP!!!

One of the first things to know about TA is its duty. It’s main “job” is to make sure the pH doesn’t swing wildly up or down. If your pH is stable at 100, then the TA is doing its job. There is no perfect number here.

What type of pool surface do you have as that also plays a large part in how TA matters.

There’s no dumb questions, that’s why we’re here is to help you! What type of pool do you have, vinyl....plaster....fiberglass?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a vinyl pool TA is even less important as the pH doesn’t sway nearly as much as do plaster pools. To lower your TA focus on pH. While that sounds weird, it’s not. Lower your pH to 7.2 and enjoy your water. Over time the pH will increase. When it hits 7.8’ish lower the pH again. In time the TA will decrease.

• Love
Reactions: Nanifen
With a vinyl pool TA is even less important as the pH doesn’t sway nearly as much as do plaster pools. To lower your TA focus on pH. While that sounds weird, it’s not. Lower your pH to 7.2 and enjoy your water. Over time the pH will increase. When it hits 7.8’ish lower the pH again. In time the TA will decrease.
Thank you. You guys are so reassuring and keep things simple.

In return, thank you! You honestly just confirmed in a small way our main goal, to be helpful to the user while keeping the chemistry as simple as possible! We can’t wait to assist some more whenever you’ve got questions. 👍

• Love
Reactions: Nanifen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.