HELP WITH A CONNECTING OUR EQUIPMENT

Sep 22, 2018
Houma, LA
Hey everyone!!! I am really enjoying this forum. Thank you all for all your help. Heres the big question.

First We bought a home with a IG that was several years old, We completely remolded it, took out the plaster, retiled, and new coping around the pool. We also put new lines through out the pool. We also have new pool equipment. Here in is the problem we are newbies at owning and operating an IG Pool.

Point of information I am pretty handy with things, Can do electrical, plumbing (I ran all the lines for the Pool, yes I pressure tested them) Just need some instructions.

We have:

2 Skimmers, Main drain is connected to one of the skimmers
3 return lines.
1 Polaris lines (probably won't Use)

A water fall wall with 3 water falls.
A bubblier in

Equipment we have.
Pentair easy touch
Pentair vs pool pump 3hp
Pentair Screen Logic 2 system
pentair 5 g light 12v color
Pentair globrite color led 12
pentair intellibrite controller
Pentair 12v transformer
Pentair intelli cor IC40

I also have a second pump that I plan to use for the water fall and bubbler.

Questions.

Does anyone have any diagrams of how I should plumb it?
Looking for any input on hooking up the petair easy touch system?
Which Jandy type valves should I use?

Please give me any advice that you feel is useful.

Attachments

• 3rTrm0%+RuiCc5JEzM4D3Q.jpg
    3rTrm0%+RuiCc5JEzM4D3Q.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • i9RWniWxTiaCEEvLpHBf5g.jpg
    i9RWniWxTiaCEEvLpHBf5g.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • Qk1ycLXYTzWxyTafwuwO4Q.jpg
    Qk1ycLXYTzWxyTafwuwO4Q.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • dYY6+IiIR3m0WVjyIkdP7g.jpg
    dYY6+IiIR3m0WVjyIkdP7g.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 9JqQlxPRSC2hK03arNAGkw.jpg
    9JqQlxPRSC2hK03arNAGkw.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 95wUyJcmTGuIOTD4S3OIrw.jpg
    95wUyJcmTGuIOTD4S3OIrw.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • v+GLQ5QQQPSILlU8ijtd7Q.jpg
    v+GLQ5QQQPSILlU8ijtd7Q.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • qtBDc3F4SN6Hkuekl0dXug.jpg
    qtBDc3F4SN6Hkuekl0dXug.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IuyccBi%SCyLqmf%%69QIQ.jpg
    IuyccBi%SCyLqmf%%69QIQ.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • E+ViGeMzQhycekCH%ufh%w.jpg
    E+ViGeMzQhycekCH%ufh%w.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
Here is your basic pool plumbing diagram. Plumbing and wiring diagrams are in the equipment manuals and searching on the net. Can’t give specific advice without knowing where all those pipes go to. Maybe you can sketch out what you intend and folks can comment.

Use Jandy Neverlube valves.

Chad,

Allen pretty much has you covered as far a how a basic pool is plumbed..

Is there a specific reason that you plumbed your main drain into one of the skimmers?

There are plenty of us here at TFP that can help you with the EasyTouch installation, but we would need to know more..

Which specific EasyTouch do you have? ET-4 or ET-8.. Pool only or Pool and Spa? (I realize you don't have a spa, but still need to know) Does your ET have a load center where all the circuit breakers go? Does your ET have the built-in power supply for the SWCG?

Not sure why you have an IntelliBrite Controller, as that is what the ET does???

Is your extra pump a single speed pump? If not what type is it?

Do you have a separate suction line for the extra pump? If not, where do you expect to get the water?

What do you envision the automation system is going to do for you? What is it that you want to automate.?

To be honest, you seem to be working a little backwards.. You really need to know where you are going and then figure out how to get there. You seem to be halfway there, but have yet to determine exactly where you are going.. :mrgreen:

We have some pretty sharp people here, so I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Chad,

Is there a specific reason that you plumbed your main drain into one of the skimmers?

There are plenty of us here at TFP that can help you with the EasyTouch installation, but we would need to know more..

Which specific EasyTouch do you have? ET-4 or ET-8.. Pool only or Pool and Spa? (I realize you don't have a spa, but still need to know) Does your ET have a load center where all the circuit breakers go? Does your ET have the built-in power supply for the SWCG?

Not sure why you have an IntelliBrite Controller, as that is what the ET does???

Do you have a separate suction line for the extra pump? If not, where do you expect to get the water?

What do you envision the automation system is going to do for you? What is it that you want to automate.?

To be honest, you seem to be working a little backwards.. You really need to know where you are going and then figure out how to get there. You seem to be halfway there, but have yet to determine exactly where you are going.. :mrgreen:

We have some pretty sharp people here, so I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
Here is your basic pool plumbing diagram. Plumbing and wiring diagrams are in the equipment manuals and searching on the net. Can’t give specific advice without knowing where all those pipes go to. Maybe you can sketch out what you intend and folks can comment.

Chad,

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hey guys thanks so much for all the help..

I have the basics worked out as far as the plumbing. Where I am running into difficulty is the connection at the equipment

Allen, thank you so much for that diagram it helped a bunch.

Jim, I will attempt to answer your questions.

The main drain into the skimmer was already plumbed that way and was not accecible to redo with a huge amount of demo to the pool. It is a very old pool and in our area that is very common.

I have the Pentair easy tough 4PSC-IC40 it includes SCG intergration and the ic40 cell 8 space

As far as the intellli bight controller I am not sure. I bought because I like the color options, if easy touch does that then i will bet ride of it.

The extra pump is single speed. its an old Pentair unit

I was going to Use a T off of the skimmer and main drain line and use it as the suction for the water features.

I envision the automation system to be able turn on and off the water features when we want. I also want it to monitor the salt level and manage the pump. I would love for it turn light on and off and eventually landscape lighting.

I appreciate and critique and advice you can give. As i said i am doing this on a budget. Trying to do most of it ourselves.

HERES the kicker. I just a call from my plaster contractor they will be here on Monday and I have to have my equipment up and runnning.

Thanks for all the help.

Chad,

To get ready for plaster all you need is for the pump, filter, and returns to be working... You can manually run the pump from the pump's control system. If you have a 3-way Jandy valve I would connect it so that one side was connected to skimmer 1 while the other side was connected to skimmer 2. The middle port would be connected to the intake on the pump... Then plumb the output of the pump to the input of the filter and the output of the filter to the manifold connecting the three return lines... I would do it in such a way as to leave as much pipe as possible so that you can redo it after the pool is up and running.

I say this assuming that you are not going to be able to get everything connected the way you want before they plaster..

Jim R.

I was going to Use a T off of the skimmer and main drain line and use it as the suction for the water features

Trying to get two pumps both pulling from one suction line is not going to work. When you turn on your water feature pump, one pump or the other will likely get starved for water.

Pools with a seperate waters feature pump have a dedicated water intake usually on a pool wall.

Chad,

To get ready for plaster all you need is for the pump, filter, and returns to be working... You can manually run the pump from the pump's control system. If you have a 3-way Jandy valve I would connect it so that one side was connected to skimmer 1 while the other side was connected to skimmer 2. The middle port would be connected to the intake on the pump... Then plumb the output of the pump to the input of the filter and the output of the filter to the manifold connecting the three return lines... I would do it in such a way as to leave as much pipe as possible so that you can redo it after the pool is up and running.

I say this assuming that you are not going to be able to get everything connected the way you want before they plaster..

Jim R.
Thanks SO much. I will do this. I have a Polaris line that we installed that I don't plan on using. I will use a robot to clean the pool. I could use it as the suction line for the water feature.

I have a Polaris line that we installed that I don't plan on using. I will use a robot to clean the pool. I could use it as the suction line for the water feature.

Be careful. Safety and codes require two inlets for any suction line. That prevents someone from being trapped by the suction and drowning.

You usually see two circular inlets on a pool wall for this type of water intake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chad,

The only place you must have a Jandy valve is between the pipes coming from Skimmer 1 and Skimmer 2. You can either install a 2-way Jandy valve on each pipe or one 3-way (looks like a T) Jandy valve between the two pipes.. The whole goal here is to be able to control the amount of water coming into the pump from each skimmer... Usually, you will want more suction on the far skimmer than the near skimmer.. The valve(s) allow you to adjust the suction to each skimmer so that they are about the same.

In your current set up, you do not need any check valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey guys thanks so much for all the help!!! We got our plaster in yesterday afternoon. Everything is looking good. I have the easy touch up and running with screen logic2. I have the pump wired in and plumbed as well as the sand filter. I couldn't have done it with out you guys, thanks.

Attachments

• vydE2gs6Q+ivgraCJBYA6A.jpg
    vydE2gs6Q+ivgraCJBYA6A.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • rnkaxVE3RgK3isg28iriaA.jpg
    rnkaxVE3RgK3isg28iriaA.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • G3GYGziTTFWR7K1VX7ZpVQ.jpg
    G3GYGziTTFWR7K1VX7ZpVQ.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • EO5%ri2tREWA6HUTGAAimw.jpg
    EO5%ri2tREWA6HUTGAAimw.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • k5AOpcgfRNi95fuIXB2ekA.jpg
    k5AOpcgfRNi95fuIXB2ekA.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 12
  • GWWk2s7kTZeuffouOM8Ahw.jpg
    GWWk2s7kTZeuffouOM8Ahw.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I notice you do not have 12-18” of straight pipe before the flow sensor. See the note on the page below.

295A1FF3-268B-42B7-B2F8-88C0F6029F07.png

Chad,

My pool builder installed my IC40 SWCG with about 2" of straight pipe before the SWCG. Rather than redo it, I told him that I would try it out and unless I found an issue, we would just use it as is.. That was almost five years ago and I can't tell any difference between this one and the two that I installed at rent houses with the recommended 12" of straight pipe.

I suggest you just try it out before you make any changes.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: chadducote
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.