Help wiring mew pump

bryher

Jul 11, 2018
Phoenixville
Hi all,
I came on here researching how to bond my new pool pump and after reading realized i probably have more questions and work to do...

I have an 8' diamater above ground metal frame Intext pool. We put it up and down every summer and fall. I love the pool but hate the cheap pump that comes with it. So i bought and oversized Intex samd filter. Love it and helps to keep the pool sparkling clean.

not surprised when the pump died, i just purchased a new Pentair 1HP pump. Reading over the installation it mentions bonding. Im fairly handy with electricity but never covered this topic.

Sounds like i need to run some 8AWG wire from the lug on the outside of the motor and around all of the metal parts on the frame. Then also to any other metal and electrical equipment within 5 feet (metals fence and gutter).

Do i then need to bury that using a grounding rod?

Also i had my last pump connected to a GFIC outlet. After reading here what else shoild i consider doing to make my pool safe? Should i have a shutoff switch on the GFIC outlet? The outlet is like 2 feet or less from the pool. That sounds too close after reading here.

Anything else i need to do? I have two kids so really concerned avout safety. And freaked out i may not have been operating so safely these past years. So glad i found this site!

The bonding just grounds the pool to the pump, to whatever the pump is grounded too.

I'm no electrician, but if the pump is wired to a grounded line then the ground path to your breaker box, and then outside to the grounding rods driven into the ground are "good enough".

Sounds like the idea of "bonding" is just connecting the pools metal surface to the pump so that if the pool gets whacked by lightning, there is a ground path through the pump motor, to the GFCI outlet, to the breaker box and then out to the ground rods outside your home.

The notion of not doing this with a pool that is taken down yearly is probably because they don't want to assume responsibility for you constantly hooking up that grounding system to the pool frame. Assuming most won't do it right, or in time will get sick of it and just stop hooking it up every year.

I would highly recommend a GFCI outlet at the lest, a GFCI breaker in the box as well couldn't hurt. Make sure the outlet your buying is suited for weather resistant locations, and that the installation is done in such a way that the line is burried in the ground (I like PVC vs direct bury wire) and that the outlet box is sealed up nice and tight to prevent moisture from getting in. I go even a step further and put a 5 gallon bucket down over the pole that the outlet is mounted on (pole is cemented into the ground a good 18 inches from the pool) that way I'm 99.99% sure no water is ever going to directly make its way into my outlet.

I just had a little bit of a "nightmare" on my hands. Over the winter, the cover came off my pool and a bunch of water forced up in between the liner and pool wall, washing out a lot of sand. So... fully drain the pool, take the line down a bit, buy 500 pounds of sand and "rebuild" the base and edges", put the liner back up, spend 2 days waiting on the hose to put 15,000 gallons in it to fill it and then.... the pump won't run. Dang.

Turns out the people who wired this outlet up used an outlet that clearly stated "NOT FOR USE IN WET OR DAMP LOCATIONS" and was corroded as all get out. Very poorly wired to boot. Wires stripped back like 2" and pushed into the back of the outlet leaving a solid inch plus of exposed conductor beyond the landings. Had to cut that out (after shutting the breaker off of course), go buy a new one rated for weather resistance, new gasket, clean out the outlet box, wire in the new outlet.... seal it all up, and... BINGO... shes pumping away now!

Sounds like the idea of "bonding" is just connecting the pools metal surface to the pump so that if the pool gets whacked by lightning, there is a ground path through the pump motor, to the GFCI outlet, to the breaker box and then out to the ground rods outside your home.

Bonding and grounding are two different things. Read...

Bonding is to create an area of equi-potential around the pool so that someone is not shocked by stray currents in the pool area. As long as there is not a voltage differential between different things you come in contact with around the pool you will not feel any shocks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.