Help— what is causing this?

okiediver

Sep 3, 2015
Ft Myers FL
Pool Size
Hello all…. We have bought a house and would like to know what is happening to the surface of this pebble chlorine pool. Is there a fix for this? Looks like staining of some kind but the prev owners used a pool company to clean every week. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to TFP.

Maybe iron of copper staining…

The feeder has probably caused corrosion in the heater.

What heater do you have?

What automation do you have?

Can you show the whole system?

Can you pull the filter cartridge and show it before and after cleaning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Closing mid October. Was hoping it might be something simple. We are used to salt pools no chlorine. Once we get in I can post more. I do have a pic of Hester if that helps

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 3
"We won’t be in the house until Ned October."
- Not a whole lot you can do if not onsite.

"We are used to salt pools no chlorine."
- A salt pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG provides the chlorine.

If you don't already have one of the recommended test kits, get one ordered to arrive just before move in.
Test Kits Compared

Uh oh. Salt
Closing mid October. Was hoping it might be something simple. We are used to salt pools no chlorine. Once we get in I can post more. I do have a pic of Hester if that helps.

Uh oh. There may be a misconception here but salt pools have the same amount of chlorine as a chlorine pool. The chlorine is just made from the salt.

The pool has what looks like a trichlor puck feeder. Once you move in, you can look for empty buckets (or ask the current owners) of what they use to chlorinate it. If the pucks are “xtra-blue” or Clorox tablets you may copper staining or it could be algae or any number of things. Without water test results it’s really not possible to know what the issue is. Hmm

Most likely, you will need to do a sulfamic acid treatment followed by a drain and refill.

It looks like you are near water, which means that there is probably a big risk of floating if drained.

What is the elevation of the water to the bottom and top of the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.