HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... Need adv

Re: HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... Need

Don't give up just yet! Hang in there.

I understand your DH's thinking. The problem with his thinking is that he believes they're there to help people. He needs to understand that that's not what their purpose is. Their whole purpose is to improve the bottom line. Once he realizes that he'll understand that they're not his friend.

You will get it cleared if you hang on. He will come around also.

One more question... when should we start our SWCG? I thought we were waiting for the CYA to come up - it's up; are we good to start it? Or should we wait and continue shocking the pool?

Sorry to ask so many questions; I just feel like I'm really not getting this! Ughh!!! :hammer:

When you are finished shocking the pool you can let the FC drop to the top of your target range (as per the pool calculator) and then turn on the SWCG. The SWCG should be able to maintain the FC level from there.

You can run the swg if you want to help maintain the FC. I apologize for not going back and reading the whole thread, if you're shocking you just want to be sure to turn it off when you do the OCLT.

Re: HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... Upda

Here are our current readings...
FC 25
PH 8
TA 130 (Should we be doing something about this - or just wait until we're done shocking?)
CH 50
CYA... oops, we ran out of the reagent to test this... nice, I know! (I'll be getting some more tomorrow.)

I'm going to re-check our levels in the am; hoping we've maintained those levels... then should we start trying to get the other numbers in order? Or should we shock one more day? The Alkalinity is so high; do I need to worry about this? And, when can I let my kids swim? It isn't clear yet; but it's not green anymore - just cloudy. We're continuing to brush it every day and vacuum several times per day - I'll keep you updated on how things are looking tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Save your reagents - all you need to check during the shock process is FC and CC.

pH will be inaccurate at that FC level, CYA won't change unless you backwash a whole lot or add some (and it won't show up for a week anyway), CH won't change unless you're using Cal-hypo or refilling a whole lot with hard water, and TA is the last thing you worry about, when you're bored and everything else is balanced.

Re: HELP!!! We're lost!!! New Pool! SWCG; 10,000AG... WOO

Well, I think this is good... our FC was still at 25 this morning when my husband checked it. So; if I've read others' info correctly this means we can let the FC start to fall. When it gets to around 5; we can start the SWCG to maintain the level. (I think that's the top of my target... 3-5?) Then, I guess I start working on getting the other levels in place?

I really appreciate so many of you posting to help walk me through this process. When can I let my kids swim?

Thanks again!

newpoolfam said:
I'm wondering what I need to do next; the pool water is still a good bit cloudy? We'll check the FC and post again later the evening.
If the pool is still cloudy you haven't passed all three criteria so you should not stop the shocking process...see the three criteria in my sig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That's what I thought; we have added a lil' more chlorine - to get our level back up tonight... I'm really appreciating your patience! Thanks!

I noticed you have an Intex SWCG... what does it mean (copper bars disconnected?) - We also have an Intex Krystal Clear SWCG; I'm wondering if it will be able to keep up with this size pool?

On the intex all-in-one filter/pump/swg, it looks like the copper bars are closest to the pump. Either disconnect the wire going to the bars or remove the section with the copper bars entirely. You do not want nor need copper in your pool.

I have the stand alone version and it keeps up with my pool fine (11000 gallons)...I am running 6 hours/day right now.

We now have a crystal clear pool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your help! We will post our readings tonight. We went from a dirty algae filled pool to a sparkling wonderful oasis with all of our help. We will constantly be on with readings and still look for help if we need it! Thank you all again. My husband now realizes that the pool places are NOT his friends!!We did it all with bleach,borax and baking soda. The swg is on and we will monitor how long it takes to maintain the levels. thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.