HELP, was our skimmer set too low.

Your window for the acceptable water level is ridiculously narrow.

Unless you are checking and adjusting the water level every day, the water is going to be too low or too high most of the time.

Too low and the pump will run dry.

Too high and the skimmer won't work.

Before the season is over, you will be super aggravated, frustrated and annoyed.

The builder will keep telling you that everything is fine and stop worrying about it.

They should have installed 2 skimmers for this pool and the skimmers needed to be at the right height.

In my opinion, I would have them install another skimmer and replace the existing skimmer and do it right this time.

Last edited:
The problem is the bond beam was out of level and/or they used heavy mud to correct amd make level. This raised the coping too high for skimmer amd raised the tile too high. The pool will always look low with normal water fill. The bottom of skimmer is intended to have a slight downward pitch to help hold debris in. This is a pain to fix and PB wants to avoid doing it. Sure with proper water height it will skim fine. But 1" plus minus is not what you wanna worry about when it comes to water level, especially with a single skimmer. This needs to be fixed for function amd aesthetics. I hate to throw a PB under the bus but I hate BS-ing people more
This is the conclusion I have come to, but I’m worn down at this point. I’m by no means a feminist (not that there’s anything wrong being one) but I hate to say I feel like if my husband contacted them instead of me they would have at least come look at it to determine. I tried saving them time taking photos and they make me feel like I’m being ridiculous sending them. Like how dare I question them. The truth is I do trust them in building a proper pool, but they weren’t here during coping and have not seen it in person. I was just trying to address a concern prior to plaster if it was one. I don’t know that’s why I ask I was hoping for just an explanation of how it works and you guys have explained it well. How big a deal the 1-2” variation for water level will be I will find out but does not sound like fun especially for a new pool owner. It’s definitely not ideal but I don’t want to be unreasonable and I do trust his word that he will fix it if needed. I’m just hoping he checks it out before plaster. Maybe the husband will have to give the call.
He’s very busy at work so I’m tasked with managing these projects, something I do not like doing because of the industry in general. After building a house and doing it I was already beaten down so this time it’s very tough. Now I have had a handful of very nice understanding contractors that were the opposite and didn’t mind explaining things and me asking questions so I’m not putting them all in there but it’s tough.

Last edited:
This is the conclusion I have come to, but I’m worn down at this point. I’m by no means a feminist (not that there’s anything wrong being one) but I hate to say I feel like if my husband contacted them instead of me they would have at least come look at it to determine. I tried saving them time taking photos and they make me feel like I’m being ridiculous sending them. Like how dare I question them. The truth is I do trust them in building a proper pool, but they weren’t here during coping and have not seen it in person. I was just trying to address a concern prior to plaster if it was one. I don’t know that’s why I ask I was hoping for just an explanation of how it works and you guys have explained it well. How big a deal the 1-2” variation for water level will be does not sound like fun especially for a mew pool owner. It’s definitely not ideal but I do trust his word that he will fix it if needed. I’m just hoping he checks it out before plaster. Maybe the husband will have to give the call.
He’s very busy at work so I’m tasked with managing these projects, something I do not like doing because of the industry in general. After building a house and doing it I was already beaten down so this time it’s very tough. Now I have had a handful of very nice understanding contractors that were the opposite and didn’t mind explaining things and me asking questions so I’m not putting them all in there but it’s tough.
The fact that the builders have not come out personally seems insane to me. At a minimum, I would stop all work until they get their behinds out there to look at it, and make sure all your concerns have been really clearly documented in writing, along their representation of how a functional skimmer should operate, and a promise to fix if it doesn’t meet that standard.

Reactions: borjis and JamesW
I think someone has already hit on this but my main concern would be that they fill the pool to the correct height and say "look it's skimming just fine". That may be true but if the water level is up 1" or down an inch then it doesn't skim correctly that is too tight of a variation. You don't want to have to fill or drain your pool constantly to keep the correct height.

Contractors in general will push back because they know 95% of people will just back down if they say what they want to hear in a convincing manner. Do you have any more to pay?

This is the conclusion I have come to, but I’m worn down at this point. I’m by no means a feminist (not that there’s anything wrong being one) but I hate to say I feel like if my husband contacted them instead of me they would have at least come look at it to determine. I tried saving them time taking photos and they make me feel like I’m being ridiculous sending them. Like how dare I question them. The truth is I do trust them in building a proper pool, but they weren’t here during coping and have not seen it in person. I was just trying to address a concern prior to plaster if it was one. I don’t know that’s why I ask I was hoping for just an explanation of how it works and you guys have explained it well. How big a deal the 1-2” variation for water level will be I will find out but does not sound like fun especially for a new pool owner. It’s definitely not ideal but I don’t want to be unread and I do trust his word that he will fix it if needed. I’m just hoping he checks it out before plaster. Maybe the husband will have to give the call.
1. No one can take advantage of you unless you allow it.
2. No one can make you feel ridiculous unless you allow it.
3. How can you possibly state that you still trust them when they are not earning your trust?
4. It sounds like, from you saying you don’t know if it will be a big deal but you’ll find out, and “I’m just hoping he checks it out before plaster” and “I do trust his word that he will fix it if needed” that you have made your decision. I hope you don’t end up regretting that.

1. No one can take advantage of you unless you allow it.
2. No one can make you feel ridiculous unless you allow it.
3. How can you possibly state that you still trust them when they are not earning your trust?
4. It sounds like, from you saying you don’t know if it will be a big deal but you’ll find out, and “I’m just hoping he checks it out before plaster” and “I do trust his word that he will fix it if needed” that you have made your decision. I hope you don’t end up regretting that.
Your right all around.
now with there being no concrete deck around the skimmer, is it me also weighing the annoyance of keeping the water at a level that works vs hurting the integrity of the pool by cutting out the skimmer and raising it 1-2”? What are everyone’s thoughts there.

What is necessary in it being raised?

Can this swap happen after plaster if needed and the angle of the tile slanting into the skimmer just gets less as they replace that tile?

Last edited:
It might be enclosed in concrete.

They will need to dig around the entire skimmer to get full access.

I would do some relief cuts with a concrete saw to reduce the stress of jackhammering the concrete.

This is time to do it, not after plaster.

Whoa... Liz, you have the hair raised on the backs of all the forum construction guides and experts. I can't say I see that happen often, especially for 5 pages. And I think at a minimum the PB needs to do an onsite inspection. If you feel like they aren't responding to you (whether you are female or whatever), You do have the power to bring the whole operation to a halt until that happens. Think of how much you are paying for the pool! I wouldn't proceed with any other stages until they get out there and see what you are talking about. Having 2 inches less water in my pool to accommodate a construction defect would peeve me off every time I looked at the pool, for the rest of the time I lived there.

Do this, then have the PB do it too. Stand in the pool, put a level across the skimmer opening at the level you expect the water to be and see where it lines up with your skimmer opening. The skimmer should match that level, not the other way around.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They replaced it - so I would have no issues buying equipment from SR Smith. I actually bought from a retail outlet but SR stepped in and handled the replacement directly.
Perfect example of how a professional company handles a mistake.

The handrail was not in tolerance when the customer received it.

S.R. Smith fixed the problem to the customer's satisfaction.

They did not try to weasel out of it.

They earned trust by doing the right thing.

The problem is the bond beam was out of level and/or they used heavy mud to correct amd make level. This raised the coping too high for skimmer amd raised the tile too high. The pool will always look low with normal water fill. The bottom of skimmer is intended to have a slight downward pitch to help hold debris in. This is a pain to fix and PB wants to avoid doing it. Sure with proper water height it will skim fine. But 1" plus minus is not what you wanna worry about when it comes to water level, especially with a single skimmer. This needs to be fixed for function amd aesthetics. I hate to throw a PB under the bus but I hate BS-ing people more
So Jimmy,
I’m really trying to just increase the tolerance I’ll have with my water level not being an issue. So I’m going to reach out to the builder and just be very specific about him just coming out to look at it explain what what water level tolerance will be and if it’s small like we all think it will be suggesting we do like a small 2” strip tall of decorative tile below my dark grey tile increasing my water tolerance to what is more manageable. Hopefully it’s not necessary but maybe it will be an easy acceptable fix. If I do something that will blend with the npt French grey plaster I’m thinking it will blend with the water color and mask the extra hight of the waterline tile. I figure if we use the plaster to grout it too it will blend even better. Attached is a photo of one I’m thinking. Will this accomplish what I’m thinking if so as far as not having to constantly fill and empty the pool with my small 1” tolerance now?
What exactly is the issue with low water level and the skimmer? Is it exposing the plaster the problem and scale building up on it if water goes below tile line? So the extra 2” will get rid of that issue? Does that then create a new issue when we winterize the pool and lower the water below tile like since it’s would be 6” tall and we have a splash pad at 12” with a step in even shorter? Some threads had plaster ruined with freeze at the plaster level of splash pads.

So Jimmy,
I’m really trying to just increase the tolerance I’ll have with my water level not being an issue. So I’m going to reach out to the builder and just be very specific about him just coming out to look at it explain what what water level tolerance will be and if it’s small like we all think it will be suggesting we do like a small 2” strip tall of decorative tile below my dark grey tile increasing my water tolerance to what is more manageable. Hopefully it’s not necessary but maybe it will be an easy acceptable fix. If I do something that will blend with the npt French grey plaster I’m thinking it will blend with the water color and mask the extra hight of the waterline tile. I figure if we use the plaster to grout it too it will blend even better. Attached is a photo of one I’m thinking. Will this accomplish what I’m thinking if so as far as not having to constantly fill and empty the pool with my small 1” tolerance now?
What exactly is the issue with low water level and the skimmer? Is it exposing the plaster the problem and scale building up on it if water goes below tile line? So the extra 2” will get rid of that issue? Does that then create a new issue when we winterize the pool and lower the water below tile like since it’s would be 6” tall and we have a splash pad at 12” with a step in even shorter? Some threads had plaster ruined with freeze at the plaster level of splash pads.

Attachments

• 7E7BE26B-3702-4FB6-BA37-9B074A5C7836.jpeg
    7E7BE26B-3702-4FB6-BA37-9B074A5C7836.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 52
Only to pool snobs. Average civilians will never notice.
It's going to look stupid to anyone who has a pool and probably anyone else.

And, it's certainly going to look stupid to the customer who paid for the job and who has to look at it every day and who has to check the water level three times a day to make sure that it's within its tiny little margin of workable level.

No one is going to have the patience to check the water level and adjust it as much as will be required.

This means that it will either run dry or not skim most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddietchan
Is asking/requiring the builder to do the job correctly unreasonable?

Is there some reason that I am missing that the customer should accept a job done poorly?

There are other acceptable fixes.

Like I said earlier, a negotiation needs to occur between the owner and the builder. If the owner digs in their heels and insists on only one fix this pool can sit unfinished for a long time as they argue. That benefits no one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.