Help w/SWG needed

Aug 22, 2016
Lumberton, TX
Hello all: I have a Hayward ProLogic system and an off-brand SWG (SaltPool T-15). My SWG is not generating chlorine at all. The system is telling my I have "very low salt", however a manual test shows I have 3000ppm.

When I turn on the SWG I get this reading in the diagnostics menu: -26.5V, -4.15A, 87* F, 1200 PPM. Then after a few seconds it turns the SWG off and turns on the check system light.

I cleaned the SWG this morning in an acid/water bath, and there was some calcium buildup, but the cleaning did not fix the problem. The SWG and the circuit board are about 3 years old.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm at a loss at what to do. Happy to answer any questions that may help someone solve the issue. Thanks!

tiny,

How are you testing for salt? Taylor's drop test (K1766) is the most accurate.

High salt report from the unit that disagrees with your chemical test is often an indication of the cell being at end of life. The probes are also notoriously inaccurate. This is why the system doesn't shut down 'till you are well below the minimum recommended salt level. You can always try to add salt so long as you don't actually go above the recommended level. This may get you a little more life but most likely you're going to need a new cell soon anyway. There are several 3rd party brands. Discount Salt Pool has a great brand comparison page that's a good start for your shopping. Circupool has a great reputation here and I've been very satisfied with them.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the reply. I'm testing salt level manually using the Taylor's drop test kit. I'm getting a consistent result of 3000ppm. A big difference from what the system is showing (1200ppm). Hate to hear I may need to replace the cell since it is only 3 years old. Thanks again for the advice!

Reactions: setsailsoon
Chris, thanks for the reply. I'm testing salt level manually using the Taylor's drop test kit. I'm getting a consistent result of 3000ppm. A big difference from what the system is showing (1200ppm). Hate to hear I may need to replace the cell since it is only 3 years old. Thanks again for the advice!

Looks like you got a year more than the warranty which isn't too bad. I keep my CSI slightly negative to -.2 at all times. The Circupool support tech told me this would almost eliminate deposits. Took it out for inspection at 5 months and no deposits at all. Looked brand new. I am also having a deviation from the drop test (about 400 ppm lower on the salt controller). Tech support said they don't stop the chlorinator until reading is 2400 because the probes are so problematic. Not sure how old your original unit is but most new units have current reversing which is supposed to help reduce deposits also.

Good luck and I hope this helps at least a little.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.