Help understanding VS speeds

crock921

Sep 27, 2019
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Hi,
First time poster, long time lurker...

I have a 15,000 in ground pool in South Florida.
I am switching my SS 1hp out for a VS 1.5 (pentair superflo). I am using a suction vac, no heater, no salt, no solar.

I am trying to come up with an optimum program for the new pump. How do I find out the minimum rpm to move the vac, and how long do you all suggest having it in motion?

The other 12 hours a day, I am planning on running around 1200rpm as it seems thats a popular number. My current system runs about 5-6 hours a day, but that's a completely random number that was used by the previous owner.

I am assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong, while the 1200rpm program is running, that will just use the skimmer, and the vac will sit on the bottom of the pool.

I am trying to come up with an optimum program for the new pump. How do I find out the minimum rpm to move the vac, and how long do you all suggest having it in motion?

Takes some experiementation. Crank the RPM down and see where it vacuums acceptable at the lowest RPM.

The other 12 hours a day, I am planning on running around 1200rpm as it seems thats a popular number. My current system runs about 5-6 hours a day, but that's a completely random number that was used by the previous owner.

You can run your pump longer at low RPM at minimal electrical cost. See what works.

Allen is right, you need to observe it operate at different rpms and watch how it functions. I have the same pump and it has three settings for different speeds and run times. I replaced my suction cleaner with a robot so I only require enough rpms for skimming and chem mixing. My skimming is best at 2400 rpm so I set programs 1 and 3 to run at 2400 rpm and set program 2 to run at 1200 rpm in between. The run times change with the seasons and I have the quick clean mode set to 2400 for 45 minutes if needed at any time.
Once you find the lowest rpm for your cleaner you can set that for one program and then determine what rpm you need to properly skim. Do you have a dedicated suction port for the cleaner so you can both skim and run the cleaner?

Oly, Yes, I have a side port that I use for the vac. I will have to play around with the speeds to make sure it moves at 2400, or set it appropriately. I am thinking 4 hours of vac and 12 hours of lower speed should be good based on what I am reading. Do you guys use flow meters, or just base it on rough estimates?

Eyeball it. ILGE method.
It Looks Good Enough ;)

Reactions: crock921
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.