Losing Prime at higher speeds on one skimmer, PLEASE HELP

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone, I have a first time problem that I am REALLY hoping you can help fix. In a nutshell, I lose prime/air in pump as soon I turn up the pump higher than 1200RPM ONLY in one skimmer. Here is the course of events that happened.

1. We had some work done to the decking which created a lot of dust. After seeming what looked like DE/dust particles entering the pool from the returns, I took apart the DE filter, cleaned off all the fins, etc. During that time, I was running the pump on HIGH a lot, no issues at all.
2. Added 7.5 pounds of DE as the filter was totally clean and needed the start up amount of DE. I THINK I added it slow enough as I have done this many times, everything looked fine. I ran the filter on HIGH when I added the DE. Skimmer was acting totally fine the entire time I put in the DE.
3. Turned the pump down to my normal 1200rpm 24/7 runtime.
4. With fresh DE/filter, I wanted to get the remaining dust up as I put in FLOC a few days ago and put in the cleaning robot with the idea that if it kicks up the dust since it is really fine, the main drain and/or filters will filter out the dust as well.
5. Turned up the pump to HIGH and noticed the one skimmer, the one I always put in DE, was basically running dry and the pump had air in it.
6. Snaked it with 50 feet BOTH directions and hit nothing.
7. Tried also a hose bladder from both directions. No real movement either side.
8. The skimmer in question is 26 feet from the equipment pad so by snaking it 50 ft each way, I would think I would have hit something.
9. Main drain and other skimmer work just fine at all speeds.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I have no idea if it is an air bubble, or blockage. Again, I would have thought I would have hit something going 50 feet each direction.
PLEASE HELP! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Holy Crud. I just spent 4 hours snaking this system, taking apart stuff, and it turns out the door was stuck with a small rock. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Works perfectly now!
Yep. It happens to me too, but for me since I only have one skimmer, it means the pump suddenly loses prime (as the skimmer starts sucking air). It confuses me every time until I remember and check the skimmer weir door. :)

Reactions: Newdude
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!
You are 100% correct. This is such a great site with great, helpful people. I will be donating for sure!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.