Help! Trying to choose between 2 different pool sanitizers.

Sep 23, 2018
Dallas, TX
We are in the process of trying to pick a pool contractor, after receiving 3 bids. We’ve narrowed down to 2 but they are 7500.00 apart & there are 2 basic difference in equipment. The higher bid I’ll call Pool bid #1included a Paramount Clear O2 +Ultra UV=UltraClear & 2 Paramount Venturi Smar Skimmers. (Sorry I can’t tell if that’s just the brochure description & just saying UltraClear would have been fine)

Pool bid #2 has the Jandy Nature2 Fusion soft and regular skimmers.

I can find negative & positive about the N2 but nothing about the Paramount UltraClear. Just trying to decide if it’s worth the 7500.00 difference. Thanks!

I am going ot assume this is an outdoor pool in Texas. You get plenty of free UV from the sun in Texas, no need for a UV system.

Are you sure it's not a Paramount Clear O3 system? That is just a fancy ozone system, again more hype than substance.

Nature2 is a "mineral" system which is poolspeak for copper or silver, generally copper. You don't want that either. The metals build up in the water and cause staining on the pool surfaces and when the levels get really high can turn blonde hair green.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth!

When it comes down to it these are NOT a sanitation system. The EPA only has three approved disinfection (sanitation) alternatives for pools/spas:

1. Chlorine
2. Bromine
3. Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB.

That is it.

They make lots of claims and sound all scientific, but it's smoke and mirrors designed to move money from your pocket to theirs.

You want chlorine, and not from tabs.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Hi, and welcome to TFP! The experts here can help you sort out your questions, but I hope you stick around to not only get more great advice about your build, but how to take care of the pool yourself once it's built.

Is this the part of Texas where all the PBs are anti-saltwater?

Ditch all the sanitization systems recommended and have them estimate an SWG (salt water generator). See what they say.

Can't help you with the skimmers, I don't know anything about them. Sorry. Someone here will.

May I? I know picking a PB is quite an ordeal, with lots of things to consider, but you've got two there that are flying red flags, in terms of sanitizing equipment recommendations at least. They're supposed to be on your side, and neither builder has exhibited that with those recommendations: systems that aren't needed, or can't properly sanitize a pool or add harmful things to your water. How many strikes is that?

Either skimmer will serve your pool fine. The fancy skimmer will not clean $7500 better.

If all is equal i would go with the less expensive PB and tell him to delete the Nature2 and add a SWG that is at least 2X your pool size.

Apparently we ARE in the part of Texas that is anti-SWG because every time we mention saltwater systems (which was what our last pool was) we get a long talk about how hard it is on equipment, surfaces & any surrounding structures such as outdoor kitchens. We did have a lot of issues with our last pool & only had it for 3 years. We’ve talked to 3 of the “best” PB’s south of Dallas & 2 recommend the N2 & one the Ozone/UV. For the person who asked if it was actually an O3, yes it is. More pool info:
We are getting bids for a 16x36 straight edge rectangle pool 3.5’ to 5’ to 4’ deep. One 16’ long 3’ high planter raised wall on long side of pool with 4 - 24” scuppers & with standard tile,& Stonescapes mini pebble plaster. Attached 7’ square spa w/14” raised sides & 500 sf of salt finish decking. Mostly Jandy equip except for the Ozone/UV system. Our bids are $75.5k -70K. All electric, water, & gas were pre plumbed/wired in anticipation of adding a pool as this is a new build. Are these bids in line? Sorry if this isn’t a proper question.

jrb,

It is your pool and you get to chose what you want. I am interested in your last pool and curious about your statement "We did have a lot of issues with our last pool & only had it for 3 years"..

If you don't mind, please tell me what problems you had with your last pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Let's think about this logically. How would the pool water have any impact on an outdoor kitchen? If they are trying to draw parallels to damage caused near the ocean, then they are feeding you a line. Ocean water is 10 times more salty than the pool water and the damage caused by the ocean is due to Ocean Spray and getting that salt water on to all surfaces over and over and over again. I don't think you're going to be able to do enough cannonballs with a large enough Splash to damage your kitchen based on the pool water alone.

And just to pile on... all pools are (or eventually become) "salt water" pools. Chlorine, acids, humans, fill water, etc all contribute salt to your pool water. A very little of it gets splashed out, but most of it remains and builds up over time. Unless you replace your pool water regularly, it will eventually contain the same amount of salt necessary to run an SWG. Might as well get the benefit of one!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spoiler alert -- everyone here on this forum is going to tell you to run hard and fast from those "sanitation system" recommendations you are getting. Also, just about everyone here will recommend a SWG. And these recommendations are based on the experience of THOUSANDS of people who are self-managing their pools, plus science. I just built my pool this past spring, and I've found this to be by far the most knowledgeable and credible source of information for managing pool systems.

Wow, you all have been so great & I read the suggested post about UV /ozone/mineral systems & know it’s not what we want. Met with a 4th PB & he had installed all those plus chlorine & SWG system & he recommends chlorine or even an SWG with a backup chlorinator. He was listing off the types of systems they have installed & mentioned the UV/ozone system & I told him what I read & he agreed. He feels like it’s a dad & people will regret that decision. He uses Pentair equipment & I’ll receive his bid in a few days. You guys have been excellent help! Btw, I noticed my DOB on here is wrong wrong wrong. Guess I didn’t spin the wheel low enough. I’m going to try to fix it. Any thoughts on Pentair vs Jandy?

In 3 years we had to replace 2 or 3 things. I don’t know what they were because someone else took care of it. They probably had nothing to do with the SWG system.

jrb,

Thanks for the feedback.. We get third hand reports of SWCG problems all the time... But rarely do we get first hand reports of failures caused by a saltwater pool. The biggest issue is that they are so easy to use that new pool owners think that they are just set and forget devices, which they are not. No matter what sanitizer you have, you still have to routinely test and balance your pool water.

Everything is set a forget until your pool turns cloudy and then green... By then it is too late.

Thanks again for the honest feedback,

Jim R.

Any thoughts on Pentair vs Jandy?

jbr,

All equipment is about the same... Everyone loves what they have. :p

I have three pools and they are all SWCG pools with Pentair equipment.. If I built 10 more pools, they would all have Pentair equipment... I suspect that Hayward and Jandy guys feel the same way.

Thanks,

Jim R.

jrb, just an fyi, a SWCG for your size pool should run about $1,800 installed (and that's with the pb handsome markup). That's what my local pool store is charging to install the IC 40 from Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.