Help! They sent me the wrong pump 🤦

pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I ordered a new pump to replace my dead Hayward 1HP pump (see original post My pump died. What to replace it with?).

I ordered the 1.5HP of this pump but they sent me the 3HP version listed here: CaliMar® Variable Speed Pool Pump | 3HP | CMARVSP3.0

That means I got a great deal BUT this one has 2" ports when I currently have 1.5" ports. Do I keep it or return it? I'm chomping at the bit to get a new one in before the season is over so I REALLY don't want to wait. Is it even possible to somehow connect a 2" to a 1.5" port? Are there other things I should take into consideration?

Thanks in advance!

You can simply add 2” couplings to the pump and then convert from 2” to 1-1/2” with a PVC adapter. Are you sure the 1-1/2” pipe doesn’t fit on the inside of the 2” opening? Converting to different diameters is easy, just take a look at the PVC fittings sections at any hardware store.

As for HP, it’s kind of meaningless on a VSP. When you run at lower RPMs, you are running at lower horse power. The 3HP rating is only if you run the pump at full speed.

Kelly,

I have two rent house pools that have 1.5" plumbing and are connected to 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps.. They have been running for a "total" of about 18 years without any issues..

As Matt points out, just get an adapter for the input and output lines. The bigger the pump, the slower you can run it and still move the same amount of water.

Return it if you want, but if you decide to use it, it will work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.