Help starting up a new pool

Jun 20, 2012
I am so new to this. We se to have a pool but that was years ago and I used the clorine tablets. I have an aqua chem testing kit until I can get a better one. It has CL and BR and Ph levels only. I used the calculator and I put in what it said to but now my CL level is way to high. I think the problem was this kit reads 1.0 to 3.4 as ideal CL level and mine is showing 5.0 now. The Ph is showing on this kit idea to be 7.6 and my ph is 8.2. My pool is vinyl with 4000 gallons of water in it.

Welcome to TFP!

You really should get a real test kit. You will have much more control over what is happening if you know what all of your levels are. Most importantly, you need to know your CYA level. What FC level is appropriate completely depends on what your CYA level is.

Ok but we don't have a pool supply store here. I went to every store in the area to find this one. I will have to order one online I guess. What can I do for now just wait it out? CL go down with time right? I'm just wondering the safety of swimming until the new kit comes in.

We don't have a pool store in my area. We do have a Walmart but they didn't have any test kits for pools they were all for a spa. Like I said I will have to order o e online. This is only a small 15x42 pool it wasn't a big investment, but I want to keep the water at a safe level.

Order one of the recommended kits ... see link in my signature.

A FC over 5ppm can be safe ... ASSUMING you CYA is at an appropriate level. Have you added any CYA or used dichlor or trichlor for chlorine?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.