Help! setting partial open valve postion for pentair actuator valve ? or other troubleshooting for low water flow for solar heat system

bosco

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
arizona
hi!
I have a solar pool water heater system - There is no connected spa, It has a
Sun touch controller with a 3 way actuator valve (Pentair?) which was installed by a local solar company.

The issue is that when the system is set to divert the water to the rooftop solar coils, the pump pressure gets high, and the water flow gets very low (return water jets very low, skimmer basket low) - I called for service, but they cant come for at least 2 weeks! By then in AZ I may not need my solar heat at all!

I remember in the past them mentioning to me that it is possible to set the valve to partial open so that only some (70%?) water is diverted to the roof, before returning to the pool and some goes directly to the pool. This might help to allow for some heating, and still some skimming.

Another thing I was thinking is that something maybe obstructing the water flow through the solar coil system - possibly air?

Any suggestions welcome.
Note this is a vacation rental house, so I dont live there. I am going out soon to look at it, and will upload photos.

Darn Nobody knows anything about the Pentair actuator valve?? If I could just figure out how to adjust it for partial flow when "on" I think I'd be ok for a couple weeks.

Oh, that is what you are asking.

You open up the actuator and adjust the cams that hit the microswitches for the stop points.

Reactions: bosco
Ok, thanks for both links. very helpful "light evening reading" & I will adjust the actuator in a few days when I'm out at the house again.
I'll work on finding troubleshooting resources somewhere on solar rooftop coils. If I figure anything out I will post.

Last edited:
Pentair offers a couple of different actuators. One has adjustable cams inside, and the other, the Intellivalve, can be adjusted externally. Just wanted to confirm the type you have.

Best of luck!
yes, I dont think its an itellivalve. I remember a year or two ago a service person came out and adjusted it manually by taking off the valve handle. I dont remember seeing anything like the link you share here.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.