S1GNATURE

Mar 15, 2020
North Carolina
Good Day Everyone! New user, first post. So please, bear with me.
Background;
My wife, kids and I are soon to be moving back to our Eastern NC property from Northern VA. We are transitioning from a larger 3500 sqft home to 2000 sqft. Our family has grown and to mitigate the insanity of being so cramped we have decided to look into getting a pool in our backyard as our neighborhood doesn’t have one. So as I started doing research I found this group and so far have been ecstatic with all the information available. I have a significantly sloped back yard. Additionally, I live on a cul de sac which shapes my property as a pizza slice. Small front and larger back yard.
For sake of price we will be looking to get an oval AGP or SAGP. Thinking 12x24’.??? The issue lies with the slope, tree removal and again the slope. We have reached out to several companies but everyone has been slow getting back to us which I blame due to the COVID19. I wanted to post a few photos of my back yard to see if those with experience can shed some insight on the likelihood of this being done as well as issues that may come up. Please excuse the mess in the back yard... currently occupied by tenants so we will be repairing and landscaping a lot.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 6FD24BE7-560C-4B3F-AE14-C37A2D38F31F.jpeg
    6FD24BE7-560C-4B3F-AE14-C37A2D38F31F.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 45
  • EE6C89C8-CE45-4CF4-ADF9-A54373BE7BAF.jpeg
    EE6C89C8-CE45-4CF4-ADF9-A54373BE7BAF.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 4FB02C82-7BE9-4F05-BE68-6EFF477540E3.jpeg
    4FB02C82-7BE9-4F05-BE68-6EFF477540E3.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 45
  • FD85C007-5F67-4239-A709-AAD019559359.jpeg
    FD85C007-5F67-4239-A709-AAD019559359.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 71A081DE-F195-41F9-A53F-9A9D68D48B9F.jpeg
    71A081DE-F195-41F9-A53F-9A9D68D48B9F.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 382308B4-3559-4DA8-919E-5978D184D1E2.jpeg
    382308B4-3559-4DA8-919E-5978D184D1E2.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 44
ZAC!! So glad to have you with us! Sure can help you spend your money build a pool in the slope!

So you say your family has grown. How many kids? Adults? That may influence the side of the pool.

Will you want a deck around your pool? Part of it? Do you want to connect the existing deck to the pool?

THANKS for the pics. They show the slope..............this will be interesting but is very doable!

The above questions should get us started good!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: S1GNATURE
There are AGP that are made to go in the ground or semi, so I'd be looking at those as they can go in to your slope. It's definitely doable. Are you set on the oval? Just asking bc you can get a bigger pool for less money if you go round. Ovals are more expensive to buy and more expensive to install. "Draw" you pool where you want it with marker paint or a garden hose, and that will give you an idea of size (is it the right size for your family) and what you may have to remove as far as trees. Good luck.

Reactions: S1GNATURE
ZAC!! So glad to have you with us! Sure can help you spend your money build a pool in the slope!

So you say your family has grown. How many kids? Adults? That may influence the side of the pool.

Will you want a deck around your pool? Part of it? Do you want to connect the existing deck to the pool?

THANKS for the pics. They show the slope..............this will be interesting but is very doable!

The above questions should get us started good!

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the response! I am glad to be here.

Family has grown... 4 kids (14, 11, 6, 5) 2 adults and 2 dogs.

In regards to the deck... we are also working with a company to get that deck removed and building a 4 seasons room 15x16' off the back of the home. Steps down into a small transitional space for a grill and then steps down to a patio that will hopefully be installed around the front of the pool if possible.

again thanks for the help.

Zac

There are AGP that are made to go in the ground or semi, so I'd be looking at those as they can go in to your slope. It's definitely doable. Are you set on the oval? Just asking bc you can get a bigger pool for less money if you go round. Ovals are more expensive to buy and more expensive to install. "Draw" you pool where you want it with marker paint or a garden hose, and that will give you an idea of size (is it the right size for your family) and what you may have to remove as far as trees. Good luck.

Honestly I would say we are more set with the oval to coincide with the shape of our yard... not going to rule out a round pool but I would say highly unlikely. I also would to the marker but we are currently residing in VA and wont be able to get there to sketch that out for a bit due to the current "pandemic". If you look at the photos... where the planter is located is where we were thinking of installing the pool. I will say that the pool should completely overlap that planter and more. Thanks for the response!

Zac

If I were dead set on an oval pool, I would get the biggest oval you can put in the space. You dont want to regret not getting a bigger pool after you build a deck on it. I have a significant slope in my yard and we dug it out. Your major concern will be dirt removal because you are going to have a lot of it and with that fence at the bottom of the yard, you're not going to be able to push it down hill. What is below the fence? Is it another yard? Is it woods? If it's the latter, you can remove the fence n push the excess dirt down the hill. What we did was level the yard below the pool. We have a 24ft pool and raised the yard roughly 3-4 ft across 40ft or so. We had a lot of dirt and you will too.

What part of NC? I'm in Wilmington and in the process of getting the pool in. Moved the schedule up due to being home so much. DEFINITELY get everyone together, outline the pool size you think you want and then get everyone inside that size and see what it looks like. Then think about if they have friends over and who is in or out. are you just standing or playing or swimming. We planned oval, but supposedly the side walls aren't as good and ended up with a round for basically the same price as the length of the oval. Hope cleaning is easy. We are installing a semi-inground pool, in the leveling phase of the dig, but looking to be 21-12 inches on our slight slope. The digging will be a little difficult as those tree roots will be everywhere. Oh, and the dirt will be about 5 times your worst thought also.

Reactions: Casey
What part of NC? I'm in Wilmington and in the process of getting the pool in. Moved the schedule up due to being home so much. DEFINITELY get everyone together, outline the pool size you think you want and then get everyone inside that size and see what it looks like. Then think about if they have friends over and who is in or out. are you just standing or playing or swimming. We planned oval, but supposedly the side walls aren't as good and ended up with a round for basically the same price as the length of the oval. Hope cleaning is easy. We are installing a semi-inground pool, in the leveling phase of the dig, but looking to be 21-12 inches on our slight slope. The digging will be a little difficult as those tree roots will be everywhere. Oh, and the dirt will be about 5 times your worst thought also.

Were actually in Sneads Ferry. Were in Wilmington alot when we lived there. We are actually moving earlier than expected. Speaking to a local company and they are telling us about the Aquasport 52" 12 x 24' oval. If that fits the area and our price we may go with that. I guess we will find out tomorrow. What brand or pool are you going with. Wishing you the best of luck during your installation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.