Help Sand Filter leaks or doesn't seem to work properly on Most setttings

Aug 2, 2017
Laotto/IN
Hi all I have a very green pool and since the 1st step in slam process is making sure your filter is working properly. I decided to replace the diverter because like and idiot I ruined the gasket last year by moving the valve with the pump on. Didn't read instructions previous own gave me. After replacing diverter I have water leaking out the backwash port when its in filter mood. If I switch to backwash nothing comes out backwash or return to pool. Same goes for most of the other positions except for rinse which nothing comes out backwash port and water does run through the return to the pool. Do I have the diverter on backwards? It seemed like it went only one way. Full disclosure I did replace the sand in the filter earlier this year. Filter never seems to actually filter if I suck dirt off the bottom of the pool I can watch it come through the return. The Laterals seem in good shape when removed the sand. I filed it with water 4 or 5" before adding the sand and made sure to not get any down the pipe. Sorry for the rambling but trying to give a complete picture so I can get some help.

Thanks

Jason

Sounds like multi- port is your problem.

Well problem solved. So that other may learn from my stupidity I will now tell you how I fixed it. I went out this morning to give it another look because I couldn't believe that it would be broken when I saw nothing that looked warn or out of place while replacing the diverter. So after much thought and pondering while staring off into space wondering what could be wrong it hit me like a ton of brick...PUMP on the outlet I was using for return and Return on the outlet I was using for pump. Man if there was a black hole to climb in I would right now. So moral of my moronic store check the obvious. Well now that it is properly hooked up time to see if we can turn green into clear....with 26 gallons 10% liquid chlroine 50 pounds of borax and 8 gallons of muratic acid....after already putting a bunch of other pool store stuff in it. I learn slow but at least I learn I geuss. I'll post somewhere else the results of my quest...Time to grab my k2006 test kit and rid my world of green...accept for what is in the yard..

Jason (maybe I should sign of Nosaj since I seem to get everything else in reverse order)

You may already know this, but save the boric acid for after your SLAM is complete. Pre-SLAM, you adjust your pH with muriatic acid, then during the SLAM the only thing you should be putting in your water is chlorine.

Good luck, we'll be looking for a SLAM thread in the Balancing section! Take lots of pictures -- we love swamp-to-pool transformation pics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.