Help please! Skimmer/water level

loopylou

May 3, 2023
Spain
Hello. Looking for advice. We have had a large concrete pool put in our garden in Spain via a professional pool company. Upon filling the pool the water will not reach the top step without almost entirely covering the skimmer. Although water is still circulating no debris is being sucked in. The pool company are telling me it's fine to cover the top step and skimmer will still work. I do not believe this and with water under top step skimmer is already 3/4's covered. Firstly is it normal for top step to have no water reaching it and do the skimmers appear in the correct location. Pool company are adamant it's been done correctly but common sense is telling me otherwise.....

Attachments

• 20230503_144856.jpg
    20230503_144856.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230503_144908.jpg
    20230503_144908.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230503_144932.jpg
    20230503_144932.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230503_144856.jpg
    20230503_144856.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are correct, the water level should not be so high that it goes over the skimmer opening. As you pointed out, then the skimmer weir door cannot operate efficiently and pull water into the skimmer. EDIT to strike: I do not believe the top step be completely exposed as it then allows the plaster/grout to be exposed to the sun. Seems like the builder did not account for these two factors in the build.

Let's ask one of our field experts @AQUA~HOLICS for his thoughts.

Last edited:
Lou,

They just put your skimmer at the wrong elevation.

Everything should be based on the normal water level being in the middle of the skimmer's mouth.

The higher the water level, the less skimming action there will be. The lower the water level the better the skimming action will be.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are correct, the water level should not be so high that it goes over the skimmer opening. As you pointed out, then the skimmer weir door cannot operate efficiently and pull water into the skimmer. I do not believe the top step be completely exposed as it then allows the plaster/grout to be exposed to the sun. Seems like the builder did not account for these two factors in the build.

Let's ask one of our field experts @AQUA~HOLICS for his thoughts.
Thank you for your reply. The pool company will accept no fault and say they dont enter into disputes. They tell me they will come and remove the top step and then voila the new top step will then be covered. After three months of building work I do not relish this.

Lou,

There is no way to fix this other than major construction work.

Since your top step is tile and not plaster, I am not sure there would be a problem just leaving it as is.

I kind of like the idea of removing the top step, but still a pain no matter what you do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would slow down.

The steps look to be tile with grout and not plaster.

Tile and grout are fine to be exposed. They are on the outside of spa walls and above the water line of pools. Tile is used on the outside of buildings and on floors.

If the step was plaster we would have a different discussion.

I think you are fine and would not change the steps on your beautiful pool.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I would slow down.

The steps look to be tile with grout and not plaster.

Tile and grout are fine to be exposed. They are on the outside of spa walls and above the water line of pools. Tile is used on the outside of buildings and on floors.

If the step was plaster we would have a different discussion.

I think you are fine and would not change the steps on your beautiful pool.
Thank you for your replies. This was not a cheap project and there have been numerous errors along the way. This just feels like the final straw made worse by the lack of apology or admitting it's a mistake. I dont really have a problem with the top step not being covered and of course when people are in the water the level will rise a little anyway. Just wish things could be done properly but if it's causing no damage to the pool I think maybe it's best left alone. 😶

Reactions: Jimrahbe
The top step being out of the water is not a mistake. It looks to be the way it was designed.

I don’t know what other problems caused you the angst but the step should be left as is.

Allen brings up a good/logical point about the top step's tile being exposed if it is similar in design/application as the waterline tile. Not sure if the top step being exposed was understood between you and the builder during the design phase, but in hindsight it does appear the top step should be okay exposed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have not seen a skimmer elevation set purposefully not to skim.
In the pictures provided what is the distance to the plaster from the bottom of the tile? Looks minimal, that may be due to the incorrect elevation of the skimmer being too low.
Removal of the top step or raising the skimmer are both options that will take a lot of time and work with the finish product not looking the same as it does currently.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Hello, thanks again for the replies. It's all been a saga plus 10k over budget. Anyway the pool company have said they will raise the height of the skimmer tomorrow I am not sure how they intend to do this as they seem to be saying it will be done tomorrow. I presume they will make the skimmer smaller by building up the bottom and therefore the waterline will be a tile higher and over the step as logically I can see no other way without demolishing and rebuilding the end. Doesnt help that they only speak Spanish and we only speak English. Will update in due course for those interested. Thanks again 😀

Hello, thanks again for the replies. It's all been a saga plus 10k over budget. Anyway the pool company have said they will raise the height of the skimmer tomorrow I am not sure how they intend to do this as they seem to be saying it will be done tomorrow. I presume they will make the skimmer smaller by building up the bottom and therefore the waterline will be a tile higher and over the step as logically I can see no other way without demolishing and rebuilding the end. Doesnt help that they only speak Spanish and we only speak English. Will update in due course for those interested. Thanks again 😀

I would leave well enough alone.

Doing major surgery on a newly constructed pool can lead to other problems.

They are trying to make the gringo happy doing whatever you ask even though it is not advised and can lead to problems.

Reactions: MAPR-Austin
I am in to watch and lead a shoulder for you lean on.

I agree with the others that I would not allow any work on the steps! They are wonderful and oh so pretty. I would not take a chance on them being messed up!!

Hello Everyone. An update and another question. In the end they raised the height of the skimmers to where I believe they should have always been. However they did this simply by increasing the size of the skimmer box, this meant the skimmer flap was an inch too small at the bottom leaving an inch gap and therefore creating no suction!! I pointed this out but by this point had lost the will to live, they saw no problem with the fact the skimmers couldnt suck in any debris! So the water circulates fine and the filter does what it needs to do, I have a man coming weekly to treat and clean the pool and keep a solar cover on the rest of the time so the water stays nice and clean regardless of the useless skimmers! However, I would like to get things working properly, I have taken measurements of the new skimmer opening but as it is no longer a standard size I cannot source replacement flaps! Can anyone tell me where I could source made to measure flaps or any other way I can solve this problem, either in Spain or the UK? Thanks and here is a picture of the 'finished' pool with the correct water level, almost seems worth the hassle :cool:

Attachments

• 356817987_751439980067040_8635522378332419048_n.jpg
    356817987_751439980067040_8635522378332419048_n.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 28
I would find someone who can do 3D plastic printing to custom design and print the size weir doors you need.

Show us pics and measurements of what your skimmer mouth is now.

Thank you for your replies. Here is what they left me with!! The size of the internal box is 19.5cm wide x 22cm high. There still appears to be holes at the bottom on the sides to fit a skimmer flap into. Not sure how they thought this was going to work.....

Attachments

• 356812305_220921343785237_2250657505748723303_n.jpg
    356812305_220921343785237_2250657505748723303_n.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 35
That is a real chop job they hacked up. They do not understand the putpose of the weir door on the skimmer.

It will take something custom printed or molded to fit the skimmer opening.

To me - it looks like the opening at the bottom of the skimmer opening just needs to be blocked, not connected to the skimmer weir door. If the door is extended downward below the pivot point - that will then be pushing out into the pool as the door is attempting to swing inward, IE resistance to proper swing.

Reactions: MAPR-Austin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.