HELP - Pentair Mastertemp 250 Not connected to EasyTouch and now won't start

Where did you get that new board from?

You got the old 42002-0007S board that has been replaced. The old control board is being replaced by the new Connected Heater control board p/n 461105. The new Control Board Kit 461105 comes with "6 button" membrane keypad. When replacing a control board on an older heater that has a 5 button keypad, you will also need to update the heater to have the 6 button keypad.

Your board component layout looks different and does not have the Pentair stickers like the old board...

Pentair_42002-0007S_Control_Board_Kit.jpg

Or new board....

Pentair_MasterTemp_New_Connected_Control_Board.png

It's currently wired now that is the same of how it was for the 4 years since our pool install. Didn't change any wiring around.

Now that the new board is cooked, I'm thinking back at what was the original and first issue that I noticed.

And that is the heater seemed to disconnect from the EasyTouch controls (and my app) and start operating on it's own (I noticed one day the pool water was in the high 90's deg). So I just manually turned the heater down. The EasyTouch panel (and app) weren't able to control the heater.

So which component communicates with the Easytouch panel? Also note, I don't have IntelliConnect. I mistakenly mentioned it in my first post but edited it to EasyTouch Panel.

Where did you get that new board from?

You got the old 42002-0007S board that has been replaced. The old control board is being replaced by the new Connected Heater control board p/n 461105. The new Control Board Kit 461105 comes with "6 button" membrane keypad. When replacing a control board on an older heater that has a 5 button keypad, you will also need to update the heater to have the 6 button keypad.

Your board component layout looks different and does not have the Pentair stickers like the old board...

Pentair_42002-0007S_Control_Board_Kit.jpg

Or new board....

Pentair_MasterTemp_New_Connected_Control_Board.png
Oh wow, good eyes. yes looks like my "new" board is different. I got it off Ebay with the membrane pad.

So which component communicates with the Easytouch panel? Also note, I don't have IntelliConnect. I mistakenly mentioned it in my first post but edited it to EasyTouch Panel.

Trace the 2 wire cable connected to the Firemans switch back to your EasyTouch. It is connected to the EasyTouch board.

That connection is a simple relay the EasyTouch closes when it wants the heater to run.

The relay contacts can weld closed which can cause the heater to never turn off.

Check the relay using your multimeter in the ohm setting checking for continuity. You should find the relay open when the EasyTouch is not calling for heat and closed when the heater is on.

Oh wow, good eyes. yes looks like my "new" board is different. I got it off Ebay with the membrane pad.

I think you did not get a genuine Pentair board.

I suspect the board was defective and cooked itself.

Get the new Control Board Kit 461105 with the "6 button" membrane keypad from a reputable supplier.

Show us complete pics of the front and back of the board you got on eBay.

I'm ordering new "authentic" board. Hope that's it.

Allen, you mentioned, ", you will also need to update the heater to have the 6 button keypad." Do you just mean to get the associated membrane or is there any additional wiring needed?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Allen, you mentioned, ", you will also need to update the heater to have the 6 button keypad." Do you just mean to get the associated membrane or is there any additional wiring needed?

No new wiring. You cannot reuse your old 5 button keypad with the new board. Plug the new 6 button keypad that comes with the new board into the board.

The new Control Board Kit 461105 comes with "6 button" membrane keypad. When replacing a control board on an older heater that has a 5 button keypad, you will also need to update the heater to have the 6 button keypad.

Can you post pics of the front and back of the bad board you got off eBay?

On a side note, we just bought and installed a RayPak Avia 400 to replace our Pentair unit.

Why did you dump the Pentair heater after getting ot running?

I have to say the Raypak is leagues better as far as build quality goes.

Good to hear. The Avia is new and we have not had many reviews of it yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.