HELP pebble erosion due to shock?

Oct 17, 2017
Katy texas
This might be the wrong thread here but I made a mistake. I put cal hypo packets of shock in my pebble pool and don’t brush it well. It was before a party and I just forgot. Now there are rust stains all over my deep end (but also in other places). Did I erode my pebble so badly that the rust is coming from the inside? Is it rebar stains?

I’m freaking out that I might have caused thousands in damage. Do I need to contact the pool company? What should I do?

The only other thing that I have done different is get new filters and then the pool store convinced me (finally) to get a phosphate remover. (I know how we feel about those on this forum ;)

I did put a vitamin c tablet on one of the stains and it lightened up. I tried taking a pumice stone to one of them and it did nothing except wear down the pumice stone.

Last edited:
I think you have iron in your water and the sudden pH change from the cal-hypo caused the iron to precipitate out of the water and deposit on your pebbles.

Nothing structurally is wrong with your pool or rebar.

You need to do this - Ascorbic Acid Treatment - Further Reading

Any idea where the iron came from in your water?

Where is your fill water from?

Water in Katy TX has iron in it. Normally is not a big problem as you get lots of rain such that you do not need to use much fill water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.