Help! PB and I are getting drastically different results next to each other. TF100vsTaylor

Whiskeyfox

Jun 24, 2020
Houston, TX
My pool was just filled with water after being plastered and my PH is 8.2+. I measured my TA 3 times today and got 150 every time. I watched the videos on how to do the tests and have practiced a few times. My PB came by tonight and measured TA with his kit and got 90. He says he doesn't want to add acid to lower the 8.2+ PH because then the TA can fall too low, and according to him that would be worse than a high PH on the new pebble finish.

He sloppily tested when he got the 90, I watched him do it and it was very rushed(definitely looked like someone that had done it thousands of times and felt like they know it by heart, vs me who is anal about every drop cause it's new to me), he didn't take time to make sure he had exactly 25ml of water, his drops were quick and the bottle was slanted, and he just loosely shook the tube when adding his taylor 009 reagent. He said he goes through a pack of reagents every 1-2 weeks because he cleans 30 pools a week.

I then did my test in front of him, being precise with everything and using the autostir. I got 150 TA again and he said I did it right, but that my reagents must be old and ineffective and that he is going with his reading. Then he left without adding anything to the pool to handle the PH and told me to have a nice weekend, which I guess means he is not coming back till Monday or Tues.

Would I be stupid to trust my TF100 kit readings and add the 40oz of muriatic acid pool math is telling me to add? I don't want to damage my new finish by letting the PH and TA be well above target.

Did you test your fill water? That will assist in your determination of what driving the various levels.
I personally would believe my own results especially since you are using a speed stirrer as well. However I would add a third of your need and test again in 2-3 hours. With new plaster and your brushing it will need more MA.

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
See the notes in Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

Notes

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

Jim and Allen are giving you good advice. Unfortunately, right or wrong, you can't give your PB any ammo that he could later use to void your warranty. And some guys do use water chemistry to get out of warranty claims. Follow his instructions until he turns the pool over to you, and then follow TFP recommendations after that. As Jim points out, your new pebble won't experience any irreparable harm in the interim.

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.