Nov 4, 2017
Apache Junction, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
I've reviewed some previous posts here regarding selecting SWGs to help in my research, and before I go buy one and screw up because I missed some important detail about SWGs, I'd appreciate any input/advice on what I'm thinking about buying.

Assuming- 15k gal plaster pool, VS pump intending to run 24/7 low speed with 1 or 2 daily short higher speed cleanup cycles, Arizona climate/water, no intention of any future 'automated' system, intend to install a water softener (current faucet CH reading 250ppm), have electrical and plumbing experience for self install

The things I've been considering are the upfront cost, salt output, warranty, minimum pump speed for operation, and cell replacement cost.
I've read here to oversize SWG rating by a minimum of 2x pool gallons to increase SWG cell life (basically the bigger the better vs upfront & cell repl cost)
Majority of post responses seem to indicate many of you like Hayward & Circupool, and to a smaller degree pentair or autopilot.

Based on current pricing of these units I'm leaning toward Circupool or Hayward- (minor rant -wow! so fear demand for bleach to kill covid = high bleach $ = high chlorine price = SWG manufacturers can charge 1-2x value even though their unit cost did not change, to keep swg cost relative to yearly LC usage cost?? grrrrr explicit language, explicit language...)

Based on discountsaltpool site today:
Hayward
aqualite/T-9 25k gal $1294, 0.9CL 1yrWar, cell $529
aqualite/T-15 40k gal $1499, 1.4CL 1yrWar, cell $649

Circupool (prices are 'sale' $10 upgrade from lower model, model#=rated Kgallons)
RJ-30 plus $1095, 1.5CL, 7yrWar, cell $598
RJ-45 plus $1395, 2.0CL, 7yrWar, cell $690
SJ-35 $809, 1.4CL, 5yrWar, cell $535
SJ-45 $999, 1.9CL, 5yrWar, cell $690
Edge-40 $1299, 1.7CL, 7yrWar, cell $490

On the surface the Circupool SJ models are upfront $300-400 cheaper than the RJ models, but research says they have very limited programming options and more problems so that scares me as a new SWG owner. Should I reconsider the SJ models?

Based on above values , my mind is saying either hayward T-15/40kgal or Circupool RJ-45.
As I see it favoring RJ-45 vs aqualite T-15 amounts to this :-$100 less price, higher CL output 2.0 vs 1.4, 7yr vs 1yr hayward warranty, cell replacement $40 more than hayward. Winner being the circupool RJ-45.

I have read in posts on here the hayward SWGs work at lower pump rpms than Circupool, but I have not yet found the actual min pump rpm values for either of these brands. Being an electrician, I know VS pump rpm is not linear to power usage so if true, it would be nice to know what the Hayward & Circupool units lowest operating rpm really is. If they are both under or near 1500rpm the majority of power savings is already realized and a variance of 100-200rpm probably won't sway the verdict

I have no favorites here and have only based my above conclusion on my limited knowledge of SWGs and forum/internet searches, so I am asking for any comments/input/guidance from any seasoned SWG owners

This is one of those questions, what do you like best? Chevy, Ford, or Nissan? We could go round & round. Each has good products and each have had problems along the way. If you could be guaranteed one costing $100 more wouldn't fail, you'd probably get it to avoid problems later. But we never know. I can say that (knock on wood) I've had my RJ-45 for a couple years now and I'm pleased. My pump is a 2-speed and always on low and the flow switch operates fine. No automation here, just a very simple set-up, and the SWG module has enough settings to keep me happy. So you have a tough decision. A coin toss maybe? :)

Reactions: TexEdmond
I have the edge40 and like it a lot. It works a little different, most systems set at 50% run wide up for so many minutes then off the same. the edge runs all the time but 50 %output, Is that better? Not sure but I like it :)
Wow I paid $849 In 2/2020

even though their unit cost did not change
The rare earth metals that coat the plates to create the chlorine gas have risen by several hundred percent in the last 18 months or so. All of the SWCG plates are made in China.

rare earth metals that coat the plates to create the chlorine gas have risen by several hundred percent in the last 18 months
Did some searching learning about REEs - I had no idea of all the products that use them creating more demand driving costs
I take back thinking it was SWG mfgs greed. Seems like the mining companies may actually hold all the cards
pump is a 2-speed and always on low and the flow switch operates fine
good to know the RJ-45 should work at least as low as around 1700s rpm then assuming you have a 3450/1725

Oly, my TA normally reads between 90-100. Never tested at the house tap. Last check was at 80 due to driving Ph down before I started what could be a long period of elevated CL to remove organic staining caused by my negligence. I have not researched too much about the chemistry I'll need when the time come to install it, but I do know there will be steps I need to take just not what they are yet. I wont install until I get my high CH water replacement and stain issue completed.

Another question I thought of- I understand these cells have a finite lifespan. And that operating at say 50% should increase the the time it takes to deplete itself by 2x so getting one with a higher CL rating should mean I can use it at an even lower %/time. But how do I know what the total expected amount of CL generated in entire lifespan of any particular unit is? Just hypothetically if a new unit rated 2.0 CL and one rated 1.5CL were turned on and run @100% capacity 24/7 would they both be expected to deplete years later within a few months of each other?

would they both be expected to deplete years later within a few months of each other?
Ideally yes, but there are many other variables that could change that. But you have the right idea. Go big with the SWG so that you can run it on a lower % to extend the lifespan of the cell overall.

Hi,
I've reviewed some previous posts here regarding selecting SWGs to help in my research, and before I go buy one and screw up because I missed some important detail about SWGs, I'd appreciate any input/advice on what I'm thinking about buying.

Assuming- 15k gal plaster pool, VS pump intending to run 24/7 low speed with 1 or 2 daily short higher speed cleanup cycles, Arizona climate/water, no intention of any future 'automated' system, intend to install a water softener (current faucet CH reading 250ppm), have electrical and plumbing experience for self install

The things I've been considering are the upfront cost, salt output, warranty, minimum pump speed for operation, and cell replacement cost.
I've read here to oversize SWG rating by a minimum of 2x pool gallons to increase SWG cell life (basically the bigger the better vs upfront & cell repl cost)
Majority of post responses seem to indicate many of you like Hayward & Circupool, and to a smaller degree pentair or autopilot.

Based on current pricing of these units I'm leaning toward Circupool or Hayward- (minor rant -wow! so fear demand for bleach to kill covid = high bleach $ = high chlorine price = SWG manufacturers can charge 1-2x value even though their unit cost did not change, to keep swg cost relative to yearly LC usage cost?? grrrrr explicit language, explicit language...)

Based on discountsaltpool site today:
Hayward
aqualite/T-9 25k gal $1294, 0.9CL 1yrWar, cell $529
aqualite/T-15 40k gal $1499, 1.4CL 1yrWar, cell $649

Circupool (prices are 'sale' $10 upgrade from lower model, model#=rated Kgallons)
RJ-30 plus $1095, 1.5CL, 7yrWar, cell $598
RJ-45 plus $1395, 2.0CL, 7yrWar, cell $690
SJ-35 $809, 1.4CL, 5yrWar, cell $535
SJ-45 $999, 1.9CL, 5yrWar, cell $690
Edge-40 $1299, 1.7CL, 7yrWar, cell $490

On the surface the Circupool SJ models are upfront $300-400 cheaper than the RJ models, but research says they have very limited programming options and more problems so that scares me as a new SWG owner. Should I reconsider the SJ models?

Based on above values , my mind is saying either hayward T-15/40kgal or Circupool RJ-45.
As I see it favoring RJ-45 vs aqualite T-15 amounts to this :-$100 less price, higher CL output 2.0 vs 1.4, 7yr vs 1yr hayward warranty, cell replacement $40 more than hayward. Winner being the circupool RJ-45.

I have read in posts on here the hayward SWGs work at lower pump rpms than Circupool, but I have not yet found the actual min pump rpm values for either of these brands. Being an electrician, I know VS pump rpm is not linear to power usage so if true, it would be nice to know what the Hayward & Circupool units lowest operating rpm really is. If they are both under or near 1500rpm the majority of power savings is already realized and a variance of 100-200rpm probably won't sway the verdict

I have no favorites here and have only based my above conclusion on my limited knowledge of SWGs and forum/internet searches, so I am asking for any comments/input/guidance from any seasoned SWG owners
I have Hayward T-15, good for 35k. It's over 3yr old, running at 20%, 8 hours a day, in Florida. CYA is about 80 and I have turn it off on occasion because my FC gets too high. There's never a build up of calcium but PH does rise although that may be due to the spill over.
My first was a Jandy, nothing but problems. Very happy with the Hayward.
I don't think you are going to need to run 24/7. The SWG will be the same concentration no matter how much water runs over the element.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will Hayward honor the warranty if you do a self-install? Some manufacturers won't...that was a factor in my decision to go with Circupool. I've had an RJ60 for a few months now and it's been great.
I cannot answer as my self installation is beyond the warranty. The product works well for me.

wow, hayward no warranty vs circupool 7yrs (prorated-and haven't dug into the details on that yet)
And now understanding what the 10,000 hr life standard means, I just went back on that discountsalt site and see that the RJ-30 ,RJ-45, & RJ-60plus all are rated at 15,000 hrs.
I also just saw that the sale to pay $10 to upsize to the next higher size unit ends 8/30
So the RJ-45 that I was considering could become the RJ-60 for only $200 more and go from 2.0CL to 3.1CL rating
no pressure to pull the trigger on this....

They have that 'sale' very often.

I would not expect 15000 hours of life. The electronics would not likely last that long.

A coin toss maybe?
If it's a coin toss and warranty isn't an issue, I'd recommend buying whatever you can find in stock. Mine was backordered for weeks at Marina Pool and the sales lady basically told me, "If you can find it anywhere else in stock, BUY IT! No skin off my nose." I ended up finding it online at Leslie's for $50 or so cheaper and haven't lost a minute of sleep giving a thousand bucks to the evil empire. Who knows, I might still be on backorder!

So the RJ-45 that I was considering could become the RJ-60 for only $200 more and go from 2.0CL to 3.1CL rating
That's why I chose the RJ60 over the RJ45 as well...a 15% increase in cost gives you the capability to make 50% more chlorine a day. Maybe it'll just turn out to be a waste, but it seemed like a good trade-off to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.