Help opening please

Poolkidz

Jun 12, 2019
new jersey
Hi everyone.

This is only my 2nd time opening .... and more issues than last year. First, our cover needs replacing and as a result opened to black/green water, with a layer of black stuff covering the entire bottom. The pool guys opened using liquid chlorine .... but after they left we noticed the filter was leaking .... so couldn't leave it running for long periods. In the meantime, over 3 days I had to scrub the bottom of the pool and send through waste, and now the pool is a cloudy blue .... a only a few hard to scrub patches on the bottom.

Pool guys said (on the phone) that its probably the o-ring and they needed to order. Got fed up waiting today, so I took the filter apart (thanks youtube), washed down the filters and put it back together .... it doesn't seem to be leaking from the filter now .... but, the valve and area around the valve is leaking badly. I'm taking a break from all this at the moment, while I write this thread!

I did a pool chemistry test: Ch 0, CC .5, Cal 75, pH over 8.2 (purple!), CYA 0 (clear all the way), TA 100.

Next steps (in order) please? Very much appreciated.

Chemically speaking you're going to want to do a quick ammonia test. That's where you add 10 ppm of chlorine (via liquid chlorine/bleach) and retest your FC and CC 10 minutes later. If you get a very low FC reading and a very high CC reading then you want to repeat the process again and again until you hold at least 5 ppm of FC between tests. At that point you can retest your pH and adjust it and get some CYA in to the water.

That is if you can circulate the water. It doesn't need to be filtered, necessarily, but you do need the water circulating to get all of that going.

Well ...... funnily enough, I opened the valve to see if I could see an issue ..... but couldn't disassemble it fully, so I put it back together and ...... no leak :)
So, the filter system seems to be ok now after my tinkering .......... so, onto chemistry and continuing to brush the pool.

Picture of the "valve" that was leaking ...... and current state of the pool.

Attachments

• poolvalve.jpg
    poolvalve.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 18
  • pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 19
Pool looks pretty good.
Do what JD posted. Let us know. Then plan to do the SLAM process. Should be quick.

Hi ..... so just about to start this process now as I had to wait for supplies. The water is now very clear ... but 0 FC and 0 CC, and the CYA is zero.
Ammonia test; I should do this before adding the CYA, correct? And pool math says for my pool, this would be 2 gallons to get it to 10 pp (do I test immediately to check ..... or just assume) ......... and then I'll check the results.

So, I should wait until this is ok before I add the CYA to increase my CYA before the SLAM. Do I need to wait long after adding the CYA before starting the SLAM process?

Thank you

Add the bleach with pump running. Brush the pool some to move it around. Test the FC after 15 minutes. Let us know what you get.

Ok ... so I can add the CYA now ....... do I need to wait til it all dissolves ....... or can I add the bleach as it dissolves.

My SLAM is supposed to be at 10 ..... so I just keep it at 10 (its 8pm here now) ...... make sure its at 10 before I go to bed and then test first thing in the morning (overnight test)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Raise your CYA to 30 ppm. So get enough dissolving to get there. You do not have to wait for it to dissolve. Raise your FC to 12 ppm and maintain that. At least 3-4 times per day.

Lower your pH now to 7.2, if necessary.

Ok ... a question. The overnight test was about 7 hours ...... 10pm til 5am. I just now tested again at 12pm (so 7 hours) .... and the FC is 12 and CC are 0 / 0.5. Its very cloudy here today, and we're probably going to get a lot of rain.

So the questions is ..... the FC held over a typical time period of an over-night ..... so isn't that the same thing (the only reason you do it at night is to stop the sun loss)? .... or should it be a longer period?

I didn't add any more chlorine at 12pm ...... will check later to see if still holding. Will heavy rain effect results?

Thanks

Let them swim.
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Thank you. Yes, the pool is very clear ....... so that's good to know. Just retested and everything is still holding ... CC have dropped to 0.

I also vacuumed a little "dirt" off the bottom ...... looked like typical small clumps of algae ..... but had an orange tint? Not very much .... just a bit in a couple of areas, hadn't seen this before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.