Help - No idea where to start - *TEST RESULTS ADDED*

Re: Help - No idea where to start

Okay, I came home tonight and was ready to add more bleach and vacumm again.

I got home and my pump sounded different and I noticed that the returns were blowing air.
I'm not sure what is going on but it appears that my pump is on and running, but the water isn't moving. Does this mean that my pump is out? Could it be the DE stopped up?

Thanks again.. I was getting excited and now my bubble has burst!

Steph

I did read it, that was for my DE. Wondering if the pump issue could be related.

I'm hoping that that is the case. I didn't add bleach tonight because I can't leave the pump on.

Thanks
Steph

If the pump is running, but no water is moving, you should turn off the pump right away. A pump running without water will often damage it's self after a little while.

It sounds like the pump lost prime, which could happen if there is an air leak on the suction side or a pipe blockage just about anywhere. You had air coming out of the returns before, and that is most likely related. If too much air gets into the pump it will lose prime and stop moving water.

I opened up my DE filter. This is what I found.. Do I just pull this out and hose it off. It appears to be really dirty, but that might be the media.. I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

100_1718.jpg

100_1719.jpg

Does look this "normal" or in really bad shape?

Steph

That is really dirty and it looks like it has too much DE in it, but I doubt there is anything seriously wrong. You should hose that off and get all the DE (mud like stuff) off the grids (curved somewhat yellow panels) and out of the filter.

Great, that is what I was hoping... I'm off to work on that.

I'm going to clean up and the run to the pool store to get the measuring cup to refill the DE.

Thanks Jason!

I can't read the label on the filter to see what amount of DE media to add..
What should I do? Best I can tell it is a Clear Flo DE36. I searched on the web but couldn't find an amount for the media required!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I saw someone mention on the first page that you should add 6 lbs of DE on initial set up. Once you back wash, then add only 5 lbs. You can go to the PS and get 1 lb measuring cups. That's what I did, makes it easier to measure.

I also saw someone mention that it looks like the previous owners didn't take care of the pool... can't remember who but :shock: MY GAWD!!! :shock: That DE almost made me throw up! It looks much better!

Get it back together and put 6 lbs of DE in it and let us know how it goes. It could have just been so clogged up. I'm hoping that's all that was wrong with it.

YUK! :pukel: That was the grossest DE filter I've ever seen. What a shame too that someone could spend money to put a pool in and let it go to heck. :roll:

What is really crazy is that they left me some media. It is about 3/4 of a bag so I know they used some of it. I wasn't surprised when I opened it... actually I was. I was surprised that it had ran at all.

So at this point I'm not sure what to do... Fill with water then put back togethere, or just put back together and turn on pump. (of course after I get the measuring cup) I'm off to read some more to get my answers.

Yep, it was pretty nasty... needless to say so was I after fighting with it. I'm not a very big girl, just over 100lbs... that thing weighted more than me with all that mess on it. I had one heck of a time getting it out!!!

I admire you, I know now I will NEVER get a DE filter... :puker:

I thought cleaning a cartridge was bad. Compared to that lovely mess, mine is piece of cake if you ask me. :shock:

I don't know what to advise you, on what steps to take next. I found this post:

waste said:
For hayward grid filters simply divide the filter's area in sq feet by 8 to get the # of lbs DE to add when filter is fully clean. For the bump filters it's not as linear (but is still very easy). All the models start "EC-'X''Y' (ie EC-50 - X=5, Y=0), use X as the # of lbs DE to add to a fully clean unit.

(* Other manufacturers have the owners add an extra 1/2 lb for clean start up - I don't know why there's a difference but 1/2 lb of DE isn't much - the only place it could potentially become problematic is on the very small filters) If you know the manufacturer, you should be able to go on line and pull the owner's manual for your unit - if not, going with the numbers I just gave and following the instructions in the sticky should prevent any performance problems.

And I found this on the Hayward website:
DE is added through the skimmer with the pump running. Each filter has a different requirement of DE. At initial start up or after a thorough cleaning, the filter will need to be pre-coated with DE. The filter label will state the amount of DE required. Start the pump and once the pump is fully primed, measure the DE using a DE scoop, part # EC10SC. Slowly add the DE into the skimmer. The pump will draw in the DE and send it into the filter, where it coats the grids or Flex tubes. Once all the DE is added, take a reading of the filter’s pressure gauge. This is the clean starting pressure of the filter.
When the pressure rises 8-10 PSI above the starting pressure, it is time to backwash or clean the filter. After the filter is backwashed or thoroughly cleaned, by taking it apart and hosing it out, you will need to pre-coat the filter again with the entire amount of DE stated on the filter label.

So you can take Ted's advice and try to do the math or you can look on the label on the filter and look for the amount required.

Hope this helps! :wink:

FPM,

I have a DE filter and mine never looks like that even if I wait a long time to clean it. It never looks like that!

That filter just makes me sick, one because of how nasty it looks and two because the people who had it before her did not know wth they were doing therefore not doing a thing to properly care for the pool/filter.

I wonder how old that pool is? It wouldn't surprise me if that was the original DE added by the PB to start it up. :shock: :puker: :pukel:

I'm just amazed...

Hi Steph :wave:

I see that Jason, Ann and Casey have all, in one way or another, alluded to my posts re. DE :) [even though Casey forgot who posted the advice, I forgive her - she's had other things on her mind of late :mrgreen: ]

You want to reassemble the filter, please remember to lubricate the filter tank o-ring!, and then start the pump. Use the air relief valve to get all the air out of the filter then check to make sure that the filter isn't leaking :hammer: (adding DE to a leaking filter is a waste of time and DE - you'll have to take it apart again to fix the leak) Then add the 6 lbs of DE as I said before 8) I've done it sooo many hundreds of times, I sometimes forget that it might be a little 'daunting' to someone the first time. It's really not too involved nor difficult, if you need to ask a question or two, we'll be here to answer them and help you :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casey responded whilst I was :twisted: :lol: - It cold well be the original DE from the first start up, exasperated by not following my advice on how to properly care for a DE filter :p

The people that I bought from owned the house since 02. What makes it really strange is that they had someone maintain their pool. I don't think they had the pool installed. I was hoping to run into some kind of paperwork but have yet to find anything.

I don't think I have an air release valve. I would think that is would look the same as the one on a air compressor and if I'm correct about that there isn't one.

I didn't make it to the pool store today. I have got to go tomorrow thought because my water hasn't moved in two days. I got my test kit yesterday so as soon as the water gets moving again I'm going to attempt to test water.

Thanks Everyone
Steph

There must be an air release valve somewhere. It is normally on the top of the lid of the filter, next to the pressure gauge. The exact appearance varies, perhaps a thumb nut or a lever.

You need to let all the air out of the filter before charging it with DE. If you fail to release the air the grids will not get properly coated with DE. If you can find the air release valve it is really easy to do. Just open the valve, turn on the pump, and then close the valve when water starts shooting out.

Sorry waste! :salut: :mrgreen:

Great minds think alike. 8)

What Now?...

Topic merged for consistency...FPM.
Okay, Pool is back up and running. DE has media and seems to be working. Pressure is still high at 15, but who's to say it works properly.

I have the water circulating. I've added only 4 GL of bleach. We have more rain coming Sat and Sun, lots fro what I understand. Should I test the water and work on it, or wait until after the rain? Should I keep it circulating for a few days then shut it off when the rain comes in?

I can't thank you all enough. I couldnt thank you all enough for helping me through this crazy experience.

Steph

Okay, do you have the filter set to "filter" or is it just recirculating, thereby bypassing the filter?

How is your water looking now? Green, cloudy, murky? That floater is gone from the pool, right? :wink:

I wouldn't wait just because of the rain, and I wouldn't adjust your filtering/pump run time.

You should test the water, and post a full set of recent results. You can still shock your pool and run your filter, regardless of the rain, you can still clear your pool. If you get inches and inches of rain it may dilute your numbers, but who knows, that could be a good thing, right?

Show us some test results and we can advise you better. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.