Help - No idea where to start - *TEST RESULTS ADDED*

I've added the acid to the pool. I have the other chemicals also, but I have a question.

On the stabilizer.... Leslie's sold me the liquid. (29.99) and I found the granules for the sock in skimmer method at HD(14.99). Is there any benefit to the liquid besides it is quicker?

My water levels seems to lower pretty quickly. I know that I have a few leaks about ground but I sure wouldn't think the leaks would equal the water level lowering so quickly. How difficult is a leak underground to repair. (by the way.. I can't look for the ground being wet! We have had crazy amounts of rain in the last week)

Thanks
Steph

The only advantage of the liquid conditioner/stabilizer is that it dissolves instantly.

Underground leaks vary quite a bit in difficulty to fix. It mostly depends on how quickly and easily you can locate them.

New Test Results....

FC 0
PH 8.0
TA 130
CH 280
CYA 55

I have some algea on the bottom of the pool. Do I bump my FC to 10 to shock and get rid of the algea?

I turned the pump off yesterday morning and forgot to turn it back on. Today when I came home the water was very low in pool. I'm really confused with the change in the water level. I wouldn't think it is leaking out fast enough to be a leak underground.

LovnChely said:
New Test Results....

FC 0
PH 8.0
TA 130
CH 280
CYA 55

I have some algea on the bottom of the pool. Do I bump my FC to 10 to shock and get rid of the algea?

Nope. You got algae and your FC is zero. You gotta' shock. Your shock level for CYA of 55 is about 17 (not 10).

But first, you need to lower your pH back to the 7.4 to 7.6 range. :wink:

I turned the pump off yesterday morning and forgot to turn it back on. Today when I came home the water was very low in pool. I'm really confused with the change in the water level. I wouldn't think it is leaking out fast enough to be a leak underground.

Please do as Joyce said and lower that PH ASAP - you are at risk for scale with your PH/TA at that level. After you lower the PH with acid, retest after 30-60 minutes, you may need to adjust it further. When the PH is 7.4 then you can shock.

When you are at shock level, ignore the ph reading temporarily, once the FC drops back down below 10 and your algae is gone, you can retest the PH.

Remember to not let the FC levels drop below the minimum level for your CYA so that you can prevent algae from taking hold.

LovnChely said:
...Test Results....FC 0...PH 8.0...CYA 55... algea on the bottom of the pool.
You gotta' shock. Your shock level for CYA of 55 is about 17.
But first, you need to lower your pH back to the 7.4 to 7.6 range. :wink: [/b]
...when I came home the water was very low in pool...I wouldn't think it is leaking out fast enough to be a leak underground.
First get the algae under control (as Butterfly stated, "lower the PH then shock").
Don't worry about a bucket test right now. Your PH needs to be ing the 7.4-7.6 range.

When the algae is under control you can do a "bucket test" to determine how much is leaking each day both with and without the pump. :roll:
Terry in NC

LovnChely said:
What is the bucket test??
The description is under pool-school/leak_detection. In short it's just a way to verify that the water loss is actually a leak and not due to evaporation.
Don't worry about a bucket test right now. Your PH needs to be ing the 7.4-7.6 range.

The way to tell if it's the pool or the plumbing is to plug all the inlets and outlets (returns, skimmers, drains, cleaner lines') ' mark the water level with a piece of tape or a pencil mark and see if the water drops in 12 - 24 hours. To keep the effects of evaporation out of this test, fill a bucket with water, mark the level of the water in the bucket, set it on the stairs and compare the water loss between the pool level and the bucket level. If the pool itself doesn't show any loss with the lines plugged, the problem is in the underground plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LovnChely said:
I added acid once about 5 days ago, but for some reason it didn't do anything at all.

What is the bucket test??

What kind of acid, dry or Muratic, and what was the strength % on the bottle? You may not have added enough. The trick is calculate your dose, add it, wait an hour and test again, readjust if necessary. YOu need to get your PH down, ASAP. :wink: And if you get it down, and it drifts back up in 2 days, lower it again. Keep your PH at about 7.6. :)

LovnChely said:
Added acid about an hour and half ago. Tested PH and it is down to 7.4. Good job. :goodjob:

Should I shock now? Am I correct that FC needs to be at 10 to shock?
The last CYA level I saw posted was 55 which makes your shock level about 17 (not 10). Do you confirm your CYA level of 55?

Thanks
Steph

oops, :oops: I actually got your shock level of 17 from Jason's Pool Calculator instead of the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Either way, 17 (from Jason's Calculator) or 22 (from the Chlorine/CYA Chart) will work.

I apologize if I confused the situation. :wink:

New test results

FC 3.0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 150
CH 275
CYA 45

I added 3 96oz bottles of bleach. Pool Calc says I need to add Borax.

Now for the stupid question...When can we swim? Should I shock before we swim?

Thanks
Steph

LovnChely said:
New test results

FC 3.0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 150
CH 275
CYA 45

I added 3 96oz bottles of bleach. Pool Calc says I need to add Borax.

Now for the stupid question...When can we swim? Should I shock before we swim?

Thanks
Steph

Don't add Borax, your numbers are fine. I would increase your FC a bit, you don't want it lower than 3 and with swimming it will dip down. Bump it up to 5 and wait 30 minutes. Then you can swim. After sunset make sure you add enough bleach to raise it to 6-7, then you should have enough FC to get you thru to tomorrow night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.