Help! Newbie in distress with floc

steffabear

May 31, 2023
Oklahoma
Long story short, this will be our third year with the pool....

Skip to my question...

Will the flock settle again if i have to scoop out the debris at the bottom i cant vacuum?

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_121454.jpg
    IMG_20230531_121454.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! The experts and guides will be along shortly to provide you with all the links to TFP pool care. What test kit are you using: TF100, Taylor K2006 or hopefully not test strips or the pool store as they aren't reliable? What were your last test results? It will help if you fill out you signature or at least let us know all your info (pump, filter, liquid chlorine/salt water gen, pool size/type, etc)

Long story short, you need to vacuum to waste, and do it very slowly to not produce current and disturb the settled floc. Do not vacuum into your filter. Either way, if you have sand or cartridge filter you will likely need to replace you sand/cartridge, or if you have DE then clean your grids.

Flocculant - Further Reading

Um, okay, i dont know ANY of those answers, but i will find out.

Right now, the problem is theres too much debris on the bottom tgat its clogging my vacuum, i need to scoop it but im not aure if that will
Mess things up more?

Make sure your pump is turned off so you're not circulating the water. Then scoop up (leaf rake, yeah we know it's a net) that large debris, so you will be able to vacuum the floc to waste. This will undoubtedly stir things up a bit, so give it some time, for the floc to settle so you can vacuum to waste.

Um, okay, i dont know ANY of those answers, but i will find out.
It's OK to have not answers, that's why you're here and everyone here is a volunteer to help. Every question is a good question, just make sure you know why and what you're doing before you actually do it. Otherwise, you could cause more trouble than necessary, after all this is Trouble Free Pool! You started off great by posting a picture, they truly say a thousand words! If you want, include a picture of your equipment pad, that will help a lot. It looks like you have a vinyl liner pool. How do you chlorinate: liquid chlorine, salt water generator, pucks/tabs, etc?

Test Kits - Further Reading
Create Your Signature - Further Reading

This is what i got

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_142306.jpg
    IMG_20230531_142306.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230531_142314.jpg
    IMG_20230531_142314.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230531_142340.jpg
    IMG_20230531_142340.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230531_142345.jpg
    IMG_20230531_142345.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230531_142439.jpg
    IMG_20230531_142439.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 10
This is what i got
OK, so Pentair Whisperflo pump with Hayward sand filter. FYI, Sand filters will take the longest to clear the water. Not a problem, that's what I use, just know sand filters don't always allow for immediate results. any idea on your pool dimensions (ie 16x32 or 18 by 36)? Is it 8' deep?

Sorry to tell you, but most of those chemicals should not be used in your pool. Generally, clorox products or anything with the word blue in them have additional chemicals that shouldn't be added. We don't recommend using flocc, even if it provides a quick "fix" as you saw in trying to clear your pool. Your arm & hammer also contains clarifiers which shouldn't be used. It's hard to see what all the active ingredients are in your HTH products, but they likely contain copper or other chemicals that shouldn't be going into your pool. The only thing right now for sure you will need will be the Pool Essentials chlorine.

It looks like you have test strips there as well. We have found they're not reliable. First thing you need to do to follow Trouble Free Pool Care is to get a reliable test kit, TF100 or Taylor K2006 Test Kits - Further Reading. Without a good test kit, we can't help you properly sanitize and clear your water.

Check out Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool

These were left here by the previous owners, bought tge house 2 1/2 years ago, dont know how old they are.
The Clorox one is no good and even if the Leslie’s test kit was good, it isn’t anymore being at least 3 years old and much likely more. You need a reliable test kit mentioned above before any of us can help you. Otherwise…
Happy Celebration GIF by MyDartCoach

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.