Toms River, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi. I've finally decided to be brave and deep clean my filter. First, question is what do i do if the opening is too small (with the pipe in) to get my arm in? Do I skip removing debris by hand and just hope it floats out? Next question is, do I need to add more sand? It seems really low🤔. Oh yeah, first year opening to a green pool (today) but it's my fault because I bought a cheap cover last year that ended up with a hole somewhere and I opened later than usual. Won't ever be lazy with that again.. The picture with the strap is how low the sand sits. Thanks for the help!

VideoCapture_20240428-114328.jpgVideoCapture_20240428-115520.jpgVideoCapture_20240428-115604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I've finally decided to be brave and deep clean my filter. First, question is what do i do if the opening is too small (with the pipe in) to get my arm in? Do I skip removing debris by hand and just hope it floats out? Next question is, do I need to add more sand? It seems really low🤔. Oh yeah, first year opening to a green pool (today) but it's my fault because I bought a cheap cover last year that ended up with a hole somewhere and I opened later than usual. Won't ever be lazy with that again.. The picture with the strap is how low the sand sits. Thanks for the help!
How old is the filter? It is not unusual for a filter of that size to need 50# of sand after 5 years. If the sand is at the level shown in the third picture, you need a lot more. The proper level should be right at that top seam where the dome-portion starts. If it is that low, just dump it and start over with all new sand.
What size Sand Dollar is that? If a SD60 it takes 250#. If an SD80 it takes 350#.
If you are going to "deep clean", just let the water and debris flow.

Reactions: KaiBee and Newdude
How old is the filter? It is not unusual for a filter of that size to need 50# of sand after 5 years. If the sand is at the level shown in the third picture, you need a lot more. The proper level should be right at that top seam where the dome-portion starts. If it is that low, just dump it and start over with all new sand.
What size Sand Dollar is that? If a SD60 it takes 250#. If an SD80 it takes 350#.
If you are going to "deep clean", just let the water and debris flow.
We filled in August of 2019. If I need to fill, should I open the drain and just run water through to empty it? Then just carefully pour it in the top (covering the pipe of course)? What kind of sand do I use to replace it? I dont think I've been losing sand (at least not that much) so could they have not filled it all the way to begin with? I have an sd60.

Edited to correct that pool was installed in 2019, late summer.

Last edited:
Should I replace the sand or just clean what's in there and add more. I actually have an sd80 so I bought 350# of sand but if I dont need it I can just store it for future use.

Hey KB and Welcome back !!!! :wave:

If you never put flocculant or such through the filter to gum up the sand, it'll clean as good as new. Forever.

That said, sometimes it's nasty and you'd rather replace it than spend the time cleaning it. Feel free to replace it because it's easier and sand is cheap.

Hey KB and Welcome back !!!! :wave:

If you never put flocculant or such through the filter to gum up the sand, it'll clean as good as new. Forever.

That said, sometimes it's nasty and you'd rather replace it than spend the time cleaning it. Feel free to replace it because it's easier and sand is cheap.

Hey new dude! I guess me being absent is a good thing because it means the pool has been trouble free! I don't think the sand is very dirty but towards the end of last season the filter seemed to not want to start up all the time and just seemed "off". So I promised it would get a nice cleaning this season, opened it up to fulfill that promise and saw that the sand was less than half! So now I've bought new sand, 16 gallons of 12.5% from bjs and a few bags of salt (on sale). I am ready to battle the green monster. But my poor filter needs to be given life again.

Reactions: Newdude
I guess me being absent is a good thing because it means the pool has been trouble free!
I knew you knew where to find us, so without a need to find us, no news was good news. :)

towards the end of last season the filter seemed to not want to start up all the time and just seemed "off".
I'm not entirely fluent in sand filters, but being half full definitely worked against you.
I am ready to battle the green monster.
Here's the refresher course :
SLAM Process

Reactions: KaiBee
Should I replace the sand or just clean what's in there and add more. I actually have an sd80 so I bought 350# of sand but if I dont need it I can just store it for future use.
That works, as well. Just fill to the proper level. I just recommended dumping what's left and starting over so you know the right amount is in the tank. The old sand is still good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support