HELP! New pool, just tested my water!

No thats 12.5% liquid chlorine, aka bleach. If your water is a fresh fill and you haven't added any cya (aka stabilizer or conditioner) you want to do that first or at the same time as adding the liquid shock. Get your CYA up to 30 otherwise the chlorine will not hold . Im assuming your salt cell is running and creating FC right now? You'll want to test once a day at the same time for a week to see what your pools demand is and either change the pump run time or cell% to increase or decrease production. I'm in mid michigan and typically lose 2.5-3 ppm FC daily depending on weather, more when there are a lot of people swimming. You can use the pool shock to get your FC level up a touch now or save it for when you have heavy bather loads. But CYA first, you should get it in today and start dissolving if possible. Meijer or Walmart will have it in pool section next to gardening. Add half of what pool math says to get to 30. Retest once fully dissolved then add the rest. Don't just dump it in the skimmer like the instructions will say. Put it in a sock and squeeze it occasionally.

And sorry you have an SWG so your target CYA is higher. But start at 30, your CC test seems odd depending on when you filled but if theres something going on and you need to slam its better to start lower and increase once you are sure there are no organics in the pool consuming chlorine. I shoot for 60 as UV is not as intense here as farther south.

Last edited:
Reactions: frost4mama
Ugh!! I just was going to retest my CC level before I do anything else. Hubby is out getting the stabilizer.
I filled the test tube with pool water, added the powder and it’s colorless...this morning it turned pink 🤔😫 so does this mean I have no chlorine?!

That means no chlorine.

If the pool water has no to minimal CYA in it, the chlorine will last only minutes with the sun shining on the water.

8 lbs of stabilezer is a good start. You need 10 lbs in a 40k pool to get to 30 so that should get you a little under to start. Retest and then add 2 more lbs in a couple of days if it reads about 20ppm. If you dont need to slam you will want to add another 8 lbs eventually. Please do fill out a signature and include pool volume, type of pool (fiberglass) and equipment details. This will help people easily give you advice based on your specs. You will want to add that full gallon of pool shock immediately. And squeeze the socks to get the CYA into suspension. Overnight you don't have to worry about FC burning off. I would also run the pump overnight with SWG at 100% and retest levels in the morning.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you shop at Meijer they will have Muriatic Acid in the paint section, it is a lower concentrate but easier to handle. They also carry liquid pool shock. 10% and $12 for 4 jugs and is usually very fresh. I have an SWG but always keep a case on hand. If you use the CYA pods (also at meijer or Walmart) the coating will dissolve and the dry cya will end up in your filter so put them in a sock and hang in front of the return or i use a mesh laundry bag and drop it in the skimmer. The taylor k1766 will test the salt levels, it is good to check with that instead of trusting the salt cell reading.
Its interesting, the acid in the paint section is $9.95 a gallong at HD but showed 2 gallons of "pool" acid for $12.95 but limited st

8 lbs of stabilezer is a good start. You need 10 lbs in a 40k pool to get to 30 so that should get you a little under to start. Retest and then add 2 more lbs in a couple of days if it reads about 20ppm. If you dont need to slam you will want to add another 8 lbs eventually. Please do fill out a signature and include pool volume, type of pool (fiberglass) and equipment details. This will help people easily give you advice based on your specs. You will want to add that full gallon of pool shock immediately. And squeeze the socks to get the CYA into suspension. Overnight you don't have to worry about FC burning off. I would also run the pump overnight with SWG at 100% and retest levels in the morning.
I added the gallon of shock last night. The socks are still diluting down.
Here are my readings from this morning:
FC 7.5
CC 0
CH 200
TA 90
CYA 25
PH 7.5
I must have miss the part where you said to turn SWG to 100%, should I do that now? Sorry I'm so clueless :confused:

I added the gallon of shock last night. The socks are still diluting down.
Here are my readings from this morning:
FC 7.5
CC 0
CH 200
TA 90
CYA 25
PH 7.5
I must have miss the part where you said to turn SWG to 100%, should I do that now? Sorry I'm so clueless :confused:
Give the socks a few good squeezes and it will help out what’s left in there. (I was able to fully dissolve mine within a couple hours with a lot of squeezing.)

Your numbers don’t look bad this morning. How does the water look? Is it crystal clear - can you clearly see the bottom all around?

If you don’t need to SLAM, then you can get the SWG started. If you end up needing to SLAM it’s usually recommend to turn it off during the process.

Everything looks good now as long as your water is clear. Round your CYA up to 30 and keep your FC in-between 4-6ppm. Take a look at the FC\CYA chart and change your target levels as your CYA changes. No need to go to 100% just keep it where its at and fine tune its run time and % to keep your FC in range

SWG is set to 60% and pump runs 24/7. This was my next question, how long should I be running my pump and if I change my pump run time should I increase my SWG % output? Pool guy told us to run it 24/7, is this necessary?

Do I need to continue to add CYA to a sock to get this level up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.