Help Needed

Another update to our quest :)

We finished tiling the entire pool (including the complicated cuts and details) not perfect but it is almost impossible to make it perfect with a free form pool. We love the result anyway.

We started applying the grout (Litokol Starlike with Jewels) and found that there are a lot of grout lines filled with cement so we stopped the grout application and started cleaning the grout lines and making room for the grout.

We love the grout and the look of it. There is a picture included it like a blueish-green with some "glitter" (called jewels but Litokol) That grout is expensive but we LOVE the look that it provides to the overall tile.PHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-35.jpgPHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-39 2.jpgPHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-40.jpgPHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-39 3.jpgPHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-11.jpg

Attachments

• PHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-39.jpg
    PHOTO-2020-07-13-11-11-39.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it was, but nothing out of this world, is just a lot of tile! :)

We will share the things we will do differently or better if we had to do it again at a later point but so far we don't have major regrets on the job we did. We are SUPER happy and this is 10 times better than the delaminated pool we had before!

Thanks for sharing your thought with us!!!!!

Man that's alot of work, I did it once on a plunge pool for my lawyer, that is 3 times the size. I for one know the work involved, my hats off to you. When its grouted the oops go away dont sweat any of it

We used laticrete 254R (Rapid) as well but we couldn't find spectra lock easily and without paying a lot for shipping costs. Litokol is very similar in specifications but it was readily available for us. For most laticrete products, if not all, they needed to be ordered online and the shipping costs were prohibitive in some cases.

The products we used were:
Basecrete + Link2 (Concrete densifier. After the pool was without all the plaster layers, first waterproof layer)
Basecrete Link2 (cementitious waterproof membrane, second waterproof layer)
Laticrete 254 R (tile thin-set mortar, when they say rapid is RAPID!)
Litokol Starlike with Jewels (epoxy grout)

In our case we were looking not to spend a fortune on tiles so we were looking for something we could find easily (without shipping costs) and we found it. We went for the most affordable solution so if anyone is interested I can share the link to it but this is a personal choice, you can spend from $1 to $47 per sqf (and we bought both of them! The glow in the dark will be "sprinkled" at the bottom of the pool after we are done so we have better control of where do we want them exactly.)

Late to the party but, i used platinum 254 with spectralock epoxy based grout(you can also add sparkles). Also have a fully tiled pool. Your pool looks awesome!

View attachment 152794

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Tivo
That is just incredible... When I first started reading this thread, I thought it was going to go down the lines of chasing the old PB for warranty coverage.. but this is WAY better. I see now why you couldn't return the tile, THAT is a LOT of tile! You just don't see many tile pools like that anymore. It will look SO nice once water hits it and gives it that sparkly wet look.

My mind is still spinning at how much cutting you had to do!

WELL DONE!

• Love
Reactions: FloridaLWR
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

That is just incredible... When I first started reading this thread, I thought it was going to go down the lines of chasing the old PB for warranty coverage.. but this is WAY better. I see now why you couldn't return the tile, THAT is a LOT of tile! You just don't see many tile pools like that anymore. It will look SO nice once water hits it and gives it that sparkly wet look.

My mind is still spinning at how much cutting you had to do!

WELL DONE!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.