Help! Narrow side fence access- Houston TX

Andreadionne

Oct 17, 2019
Houston, TX
Hi everyone, I have enjoyed lurking on all of your pool related questions and insights.

I live in a suburb of Houston (Katy)...my family would like to build a pool in our backyard if possible. The problem is that we have neighbors on both sides and asking them to tear their fence down for us is out of the question. On both sides of us are families with small children and dogs.

I would say our gate clearance is roughly 6 ft. Are we SOL? Is there anyone in the Houston area who could provide who they used, if you were in a similar situation? Any and all PMs welcome.

Thank you so much in advance.

A,
Welcome to TFP.. A great place to learn how to buy a new pool.. :shark:

I have seen them put pools in zero lot line houses with maybe five feet between houses... They just have to use smaller equipment, and it costs more, but anything can be done for a price.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Andreadionne
I would measure the clearance so you know for sure, but we only had 8 feet clearance between the fence and gas meter. You can check out my build thread in my signature, but they used a bobcat sized excavator. Since they had to drive each scoop of dirt out to the dump truck in the street it cost me a bit more, but in the 100 or so trips between the backyard to the front they didnt hit the fence or gas meter at all.

Other builders talked about using the other side where they could relocate the A/C units and lose some bushes and get ~10 feet.

Jim,

Thank you for the warm welcome and insights. We had one builder come to our house and tell us that it would be tight, and kind of left us feeling like we couldn't do it. Maybe he didn't have the equipment (or didn't feel like the bother). Hmmmm. I will keep looking around.

I appreciate your reply!!

Anything is possible... with a price, of course. Our access is less than 5' but the pro here moved the CAT to the backyard with ease. The real pro was the one driving (i mean driving, not moving) the buggys through that narrow access in multiple trips, taking the dirt to the dumpsters in front of house. It was a miracle he only managed to minor scrape the stucco.
.small-bobcat.jpg

toro-buggy-mbtx-2500.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anything is possible... with a price, of course. Our access is less than 5' but the pro here moved the CAT to the backyard with ease. The real pro was the one driving (i mean driving, not moving) the buggys through that narrow access in multiple trips, taking the dirt to the dumpsters in front of house. It was a miracle he only managed to minor scrape the stucco.
.View attachment 121049

View attachment 121050

Wow Jon, your access is certainly smaller than ours. That is amazing. And thanks for the adorable pic of who I assume is your son :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.