Help my pool is a cloudy teal

So he doesn’t know Bc it’s all $$$ to him and he hates our pool.
Now that you have a proper test kit, he won't hate it when he sees that nice water. Once you exchange the water to lower the CYA, run another set of tests and we'll look for udpates. Good job.

Good job on the kit.

Your FC is very low for your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels. You may want to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test in the near future if your FC loss each day exceeds 4 ppm.

We purchased and had installed a new sand filter and pump. I’ll update my signature. :) the other was not running like it should and was blowing sand in the pool. New pump/filter is a Pentair dynamo sand filter.

I tested today after a looonnnngggg week. Results tell me to add 2 jugs of chlorine or if I slam it 4 gallons. Or the dichlor powder 1 lb. I have both so I haven’t decided which I’m going to do tonight. My ph is low but not too low so it said to add about 2 boxes of borax or 1 box of washing soda.

My results are:
Cl 1-2
Ph 6.8
Cc .5
Fc 1.5
Tc 2
Calcium hardness 325
Ta 70
Cya 100

I know you suggested draining some of my pool. And I’m going to. But I’m waiting a week Bc the jet ring is leaking (the pool guy told me this that installed the pump and filter yesterday) so he wants us to drain the pool down the day before he comes to replace that. So our pool doesn’t rust out. So the CYA will be lowered then.

So my question is should I just add the shock or dichlor? And add the washing soda? Also can I still use the trichlor tabs in the skimmer?

Thanks for all your help so far. I’m kinda thinking I’m getting this slowly!

With your CYA (did you do the dilute test as it may be higher than 100) I would really not use any more trichlor or dichlor. They will not add enough FC fast enough to keep the pool sanitary. Use at least 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day.

Use aeration to raise your pH. It is low because you have been using trichlor and dichlor.

I would not personally get in this pool until the CYA is lowered and the FC is kept in range to keep it sanitary.

With your CYA (did you do the dilute test as it may be higher than 100) I would really not use any more trichlor or dichlor. They will not add enough FC fast enough to keep the pool sanitary. Use at least 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day.

Use aeration to raise your pH. It is low because you have been using trichlor and dichlor.

I would not personally get in this pool until the CYA is lowered and the FC is kept in range to keep it sanitary.
I did the test in my kit for cya

I did the test in my kit for cya
100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also

how the heck do I use aeration to raise my ph?! My pump isn’t enough?!
If you can point a return up so it breaks the water surface that will help. Swimming also aerates, but I would be concerned with that with your current chemistry.

As you are going to drain soon you said, it is no rush to raise the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.