Help my husband keeps getting a rash from the pool.

Trichlor pucks are put in the skimmer or floater or a tube by the equipment. They are used by some people to get chlorine in their pool.

They are not the best thing to use as you are find out. Chem Geek shared all of the reasons why.

I think it would be VERY helpful if you husband read all of this and asked questions about pool care so we can get him on board with the TFP way.

You are SO on the right track ordering the TF-100 kit!

For right now I would keep him out of the pool. He is already dealing with the results (rash) of the unbalanced water.

back in post 1 you mentioned that you use chlorine pucks in the pool. We refer to these as trichlor. If you have been using the pucks all along then I would expect to see at least some CYA. Since the pool store did not record any then I would suspect all of the other readings you got from them to be suspect.

I am going to link you to some links to start helping you learn how to get your pool balanced. Take your time and ask questions. Most of the stuff for you pool can be bought at .................Walmart! How cool is that?????????

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is a link to the levels for each thing

Pool School - Recommended Levels

PLEASE ask as many and any questions your might have.

Kim

Thanks so much Kim. Like I said he's the one that takes care of the pool and apparently isn't doing that good of a job. He keeps maybe 2 of the pucks in the skimmer only when the pool is on and has another two in this floater in the pool. Which stays in all the time.

Unfortunately, Walmart has not come to Staten Island as of yet but I guess I can buy these things on line.

Please take over the care of this pool and educate yourself in doing so. If anything, take care of it chemically n let him deal with everything else. It is no wonder why his skin is so messed up. As soon as your test kit gets here, STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE.

Welcome to TFP. If you put the time in and help us help you by educating yourself, you can fix this.

You can get at least have of the recommended things in your grocery store, save for the stabilizer and murratic acid (which you don't need, because your PH is low.) Home Depot and Lowes often have pool supplies too. Just do lots of reading, pool school, and other people's threads with questions are helpful.

Here are two things you will need to find in some kind of store:

-Bleach or chlorine-they are the same thing but with different %. Check at your everyday shopping store to see what kind of bleach they have-PLAIN! Check the % and the date code. You do not want OLD bleach as it degrades over time and in heat. You can also check with your pool store to see if they sell chlorine. You might have to put a deposit down on their jugs but you will get it back if you ever turn the jugs back in.

-Muriatic acid-can be found at Lowes and such stores. It can also be found at the pool store but they tend to charge more for it.

Other than those two everything else will be easy to find and buy.

Kim

from the manual:

The EC40 filter uses diatomite filter powder (commonly called D.E.). D.E. is the most efficient dirt remover known.
It is normally fed into the system through the skimmer when the filter is initially started; then drained from the
filter when its dirt holding capacity has been reached. Through Perflex’s exclusive “BUMP” action, the D.E.
is periodically regenerated and the filter cycle extended without changing the powder. When the filter
powder is totally used, the “BUMP” action makes it possible to drain the used diatomite without backwashing
or dismantling the filter

if the filter isn't running well, you might as well take it apart and do a thorough cleaning, and reassemble/start up with the known correct amount of DE according to the manual. However, IF your pH is lower than even 6.2, you won't want prolonged exposure to that water. So you might be stuck just running the filter as-is until your pH is correct. Then I'd do a full cleaning and restart, and then work on your chlorine/SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Everyone, well the filter died again last night after being bumped three times. Today we cleaned out the filter and the stuff just oozed out. There were hard green crystal like things in the filter. We are wondering if that could have come from a combination of the balance pak and the liquid shock. Anyway, new DE was put in and the filter has already had to be bumped once. Any ideas why this is happening?

It's very weird because prior to putting this stuff in the pool was crystal clear and the filter was working fine but my husband was getting a rash which started us on trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Since we put the Balance Pak and the Liquid Shock in, the filter has been having it's problems. We don't see any algae in the pool though.

It's doing its job. Your water is sick. You're going to need to baby sit it and clean it often as it requires to run well. You cant just set the pool, flip the switch n forget it. Your husband needs to realize this and the sooner, the better. If I were you, I'd be sending him an invation to pool school.

- - - Updated - - -

Please post a picture of your pool water.

Oh he does try to take care of it. He tests it every time he goes in it but I think his kit is very basic just chlorine and PH. I did order him the T-100 so hopefully he will be able to keep it better. The filter seems to be running a little better now.

In all honesty, he's not big on being told what to do so that is why I'm asking the questions and ordering what's needed. He was ready to close it down until next year but I told him that's not going to solve the problem and it would probably only repeat itself next year. He agreed to wait for the kit and try and figure it out. I will be reading all the articles and giving him all the info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.