Help me with an automatic cleaner

Jun 25, 2011
So I read the sticky, and maybe I am confused but it said robotic cleaners were a LOT more expensive than I am seeing on In The Swim and Dohenys (the two places I usually buy pool supplies). That said I have no idea what I should get. I don't want to spend over 500, and the cheaper the better as long as it is well built and works well, but if it is honestly worth it I will pay more. I have a 30,000 gallon 20ftx40ft vinyl above ground pool. It is oval shaped and not flat, it is 9 foot deep at one end and 4 foot deep at the other. It has many divits and sinks in the bottom of the liner due to the pool being in the same place for 25 years now. With the fact I now work way more hours than I really want, I barely get to enjoy my pool as it is, let alone have time to clean it and enjoy it. I don't know if I should go suction, pressure, or robots. But for clarity purposes I was looking at the Aquabot Pool Rover S2 50. Before I ever do anything with my pool I always come to the folks here first because you all know best. So please lead me in the correct direction!

Last edited:
You might also consider the Dolphin E10. They work in above ground and smaller in ground pools.
It is the lowest costing pool robot with an active (spinning) brush.
I like mine and also got the fine filter add on for even cleaner water. I got a factory refurb from poolpartz.com for $ 380 two years ago.

What is the width and length of your pool?
That could be determining factor since the power cords for these are only so long.

Im sure you know that a LOT of folks here on TFP are hip on the Dolphin robots. Thats because we use them in the every day world, and you will get honest answers here. Not marketing hype.
Im sure there are other good brands on the market, but not many users of them here on TFP.

So with that said..... On the lower end of the dolphin "in ground" line, is the Nautilus. I paid about 600 ish for it when I built my pool, and they are still right around that price point today. If you look around enough, you might find one for just under that.

I've had mine for 6 years with no problems what so ever and I use the thing probably 300 or more days a year. And sometimes, more than once a day. This will be the last year for the old gal tho, because I have just flat worn er out. She's been a good one for sure.

Its a basic robot with no bells and whistles, tangle free 50 ft cord that really is tangle free, and it cleans the whole pool very well. Its a just a little more than your current budget, but in my experience, its worth the little extra.

Im sure you know that a LOT of folks here on TFP are hip on the Dolphin robots. Thats because we use them in the every day world, and you will get honest answers here. Not marketing hype.
Im sure there are other good brands on the market, but not many users of them here on TFP.

So with that said..... On the lower end of the dolphin "in ground" line, is the Nautilus. I paid about 600 ish for it when I built my pool, and they are still right around that price point today. If you look around enough, you might find one for just under that.

I've had mine for 6 years with no problems what so ever and I use the thing probably 300 or more days a year. And sometimes, more than once a day. This will be the last year for the old gal tho, because I have just flat worn er out. She's been a good one for sure.

Its a basic robot with no bells and whistles, tangle free 50 ft cord that really is tangle free, and it cleans the whole pool very well. Its a just a little more than your current budget, but in my experience, its worth the little extra.
You've basically just sold me on that. Looks like it has a 50 foot cord so I should be good. And it will work fine with the description of my pool?

Hi Helltech,
I dont know why it wouldnt work on your pool. I mean if you think about it, what does the cleaner care if its above or in the ground? But dont take my word for it just yet. Wait and see who else replies. Maybe some of them will have experience in using what's marketed as a In Ground cleaner in an Above Ground pool, and see what those folks say.

People on this forum LOVE posting on robot threads.

Hi Helltech,
I dont know why it wouldnt work on your pool. I mean if you think about it, what does the cleaner care if its above or in the ground? But dont take my word for it just yet. Wait and see who else replies. Maybe some of them will have experience in using what's marketed as a In Ground cleaner in an Above Ground pool, and see what those folks say.

People on this forum LOVE posting on robot threads.

Thank you very much. I asked about one about 8 years ago and people advised me against it because my pool wasn't flat, not from these forums but people at different pool stores so I've always been weary of purchasing one, and want to be extra cautious.

Reactions: Divin Dave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.