Help me understand how timers on pool pump and Polaris pump should operate?

Gigem

Jun 26, 2011
OK, very simple questions here...

I've got a basic pool pump and filter, and an auxiliary pump to run a Polaris. Both pumps are controlled by separate mechanical Intermec timers. They are wired such that the Polaris pump won't come on unless the main pump is on, which I understand is the way it is supposed to be. I guess you are only supposed to run the Polaris pump when the main pump is on.

I don't want to run the Polaris 100% of the time that the main pump is on. If I run the main pump 12 hours a day, I think I only need the Polaris like 2-3 hours per day.

So how do I accomplish this? When the main pump is off, there is no power to the timer for the Polaris pump. So the timer is always off.

Is my Polaris timer wired wrong? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

G,

I can see by your Avatar, that this may take some time... :mrgreen:

The two timers should be keeping the same time, there should never be a difference between them.. This is done by having the same power the runs the Pool Pump, clock motor, also run the Polaris timer, clock motor.

If they both clocks do not keep the same time, then your set up is either not wired correctly, or it is broke,,

Show us some pics of the timers, so that we can see all the wiring behind the shield at the bottom.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Funny guy! I honestly didn't consider that the Polaris timer (on the right) might have failed. They are such simple devices. If it has failed, I think I would like to replace both with something "smart", that I can control via Z-Wave with my SmartThings hub. Any thoughts on that?

Here's a picture20200527_181112.jpg

G,

I have seen people kluge things together, but I have not seen a specific pool related automation system that is home automation related.

There may be, but I have not seen one.

From a common sense point of view, the timers you have are out of sight, and out of mind, and really only need to be set once and almost never touched again. There is almost no reason for them to be remotely controlled..

Real pool automation systems control all kinds of things, like pump speeds, water features, valve positions, multiple pumps, spas , etc.. In that case remote control make more sense.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm not sure if this is compatible with your Z-Wave Hub, but this is one option. I don't know anything about Z-Wave. I do have my second pool pump for my waterfall and slide hooked up to a Wi-Fi controller, the WION 50054. I only use it occasionally, but it works every time I need it.

Upon further reflection, I've decided to just replace the failed timer clock. I would like to have the flexibility of a smart switch, but I can't justify the cost or effort of installation. Replacing the timer clock is pretty dang simple, per YouTube. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.