Help me label pipe and valves!

pers785

Sep 28, 2022
Texas
Hello all,

First time pool owner and finally getting around to trying to learn about what all the pipes and valves are. I think I have some basics down, but I could be totally off for all I know.

I have a pool and attached spa with spillover. Two skimmers. Three side waterfalls on the pool, and a bubbler fountain on the shallow part of the pool.

And I am sure I will be wrong on some formal names/descriptions, so please feel free to add details or correct as necessary!

Here's my best attempt with questions as they come:

#1 These are the return waterfall/fountain lines leading from the waterfall pump. I was able to test them by turning on the waterfall pump and adjusting those valves individually. One question here, where is the suction line (fourth from the left, larger diameter) coming from? Would it share a similar style as a main drain?

#2 I am assuming this is the suction line from the spa? Only guessing since the other side has multiple lines and I assume spa would only have one?

#3 I am assuming this is the double suction lines from the skimmers? What is the point of the valve right above #3 - does it allow me to control how much suction from each skimmer? I am assuming I would want it to be evenly split?

#4 No idea what this suction line would be from or how to test? Similarly, what is the valve there for and why would I ever need to adjust it

#5 This is the valve leading to the main pump? Does this let me adjust how much suction I am getting from spa line (#2) vs pool line (#3&4)?

#6 Guessing this is the spa bubbler

#6 in second page (sorry labeled incorrectly) - inflow to cartridge filter

#7 outflow from cartridge filter

#8 No idea, would guess some kind of overflow drain or waste, but now even sure what the right name would be. Or how would I be able to test it to make sure that its actually something like that?

#9 inflow to heater

#10 outflow from heater

#11 Assuming its the return for the spa. Only guessing since its a single return line on that side, but any other way I would know that for sure?

#12 No Idea what this is.

#13 Chlorinator

#14, 15, 16 - No idea. I am assuming return lines for the pool and spa spillover?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

20230320_195134.jpg20230320_195154.jpg

#1 These are the return waterfall/fountain lines leading from the waterfall pump. I was able to test them by turning on the waterfall pump and adjusting those valves individually. One question here, where is the suction line (fourth from the left, larger diameter) coming from? Would it share a similar style as a main drain
Typically this suction line would come from the wall since it is not filtered
#2 I am assuming this is the suction line from the spa? Only guessing since the other side has multiple lines and I assume spa would only have one?
Yes spa suction. Looks like you have automation so when you call for spa the 3 way valve above (5) will automatically switch to spa
#3 I am assuming this is the double suction lines from the skimmers? What is the point of the valve right above #3 - does it allow me to control how much suction from each skimmer? I am assuming I would want it to be evenly split?
Yes likely your two skimmers with a valve to adjust flow from each
#4 No idea what this suction line would be from or how to test? Similarly, what is the valve there for and why would I ever need to adjust it
Likely the suction line from the main drain and you'll typically keep partially open so suction favoring more from the skimmers
#5 This is the valve leading to the main pump? Does this let me adjust how much suction I am getting from spa line (#2) vs pool line (#3&4)?
This is an auto valve that will move to spa suction when you call for spa mode
#6 Guessing this is the spa bubbler
Spa blower line
#12 No Idea what this is.
Check valve to keep concentrated chlorine from flowing back to heater when pump is off.
#13 Chlorinator
Tab chlorinator
#14, 15, 16 - No idea. I am assuming return lines for the pool and spa spillover?
14 check valve for spa makeup line. This keeps constant spillover. Depending on your automation you may want to close 16 and enable spillover mode in the automation which will help keep pH in check
15 pool return
16 spa makeup (controls how mich returns to spa for spillover vs pool)

Thanks for the reply!

Any insight or tips to identify what #8 might be? Thanks
Cannot see where it goes. Will not matter in a few months as that ball valve will be non operational.

Do not put trichlor in that feeder unless you run the pump 24/7. You will destroy your heater.

You have most of it correctly identified..

Even god has does not know what #8 is for... :mrgreen:

#5 is called the Intake valve and is used by the automation to switch between your Pool mode and Spa mode.
The valve between #11 and #12 (not labeled) is called your Return Valve and it is also used when the automation switches between the Pool and Spa modes.

#12 is a check valve to prevent the acid in your Tab feeder (#13) from leaking back into your heater and destroying it.

#4 is most likely your main drain input to the main pool pump. Could also be a suction vacuum input. Do you have a suction vacuum line in the sidewall of your pool?

Your waterfall pump should be getting its input water from dual drains in the bottom of the pool or on the side wall of the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Excuse my ignorance but can you explain both those points?
Sure. The picture implies the pipe goes below the pipe crossing it? Hard to see.

That cheap plastic ball valve will seize up in short order. So it is closed right now. And it soon will not be able to be opened. Any valves you wish to be able to move in the system need to be the Jandy Never Lube type.

When your pump is off, the acidic stew from the Trichlor feeder will run back towards the heater. Even a check valve will not prevent it forever.

Sure. The picture implies the pipe goes below the pipe crossing it? Hard to see.

That cheap plastic ball valve will seize up in short order. So it is closed right now. And it soon will not be able to be opened. Any valves you wish to be able to move in the system need to be the Jandy Never Lube type.

When your pump is off, the acidic stew from the Trichlor feeder will run back towards the heater. Even a check valve will not prevent it forever.
Thanks for explaining that! Anything I can do to prevent the acid from making it backwards past the check valve?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.