Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I was shopping at Kroger earlier and bought my “usual” 7.5% Kroger brand bleach — then I saw something I’ve never seen before that caught my eye and was only $1.79 for a 64 oz bottle. I grabbed two of them since they were so cheap even though there is NO chlorine percentage listed on the bottle at all!! The first photo below shows where it says “Contains Sodium Hypochlorate and Sodium Hydroxide” (what is sodium hydroxide? lol) but no percentages listed.

The bottle clearly says REGULAR bleach on the front and nothing about being scented/splash-less/anything extra. I took a little sniff of it (smart, I know), and it smells just like all the regular bleach/liquid chlorine I’ve used. Has anyone ever seen this stuff before or know how I could go about figuring out what the chlorine percentage is? I know it’s not THAT serious, but it’s been bugging me and y’all are a lot smarter at this stuff than me lol. Worst case, I’m only out $3.34 total and I need bleach for laundry and cleaning anyways. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Thanks in advance!!!!!

- The Perplexed Float Queen

5E712575-910B-4BA4-B48C-000D20E3307B.jpeg
D6E9A118-08B2-4E72-9DDD-BACC2C7596A1.jpeg
02BF8C39-4916-4C43-B77A-31675405C4A5.jpeg
3F5619E0-AAAE-459F-84CF-90164C68A369.jpeg
F7E3EBF0-B4B1-4F91-879F-B51FB88EBA49.jpeg

Last edited:
If no % is listed, it is likely less than 3%.

Sodium Hydroxide is Caustic Soda. It is used to stabilize the bleach.
Thank you so much for your info, as always. I assume it’s safe to use in the pool? Obviously, this isn’t something I will be using regularly lol. I only bought two bottles because they were $1.79 each and it said regular bleach. I didn’t know liquid chlorine (bleach) had any stabilizers in it? Interesting.

It's not a stabiliser as in CYA, nowhere near CYA. Sodium Hydroxide is needed in the manufacturing process. It is also needed to keep the pH high in the bottle which is required to stop the sodium hypochlorite from falling apart. That's what is meant by "stabiliser" here.

Sodium hydroxide is also simply called "lye", which sounds a bit less intimidating.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
It's not a stabiliser as in CYA, nowhere near CYA. Sodium Hydroxide is needed in the manufacturing process. It is also needed to keep the pH high in the bottle which is required to stop the sodium hypochlorite from falling apart. That's what is meant by "stabiliser" here.

Sodium hydroxide is also simply called "lye", which sounds a bit less intimidating.
I learned something new today lol. Thank you so much for your thorough explanation.

It is actually really expensive.
Really? Bleach is crazy expensive here right now. My town only has one grocery store and I think they are price-gouging. My 7.5% 81 oz bottles are $4.49 when they are not on sale!! It is also Kroger brand but it’s the “concentrated” regular bleach.🙄 Everything is so expensive right now, it’s ridiculous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really? Bleach is crazy expensive here right now. My town only has one grocery store and I think they are price-gouging. My 7.5% 81 oz bottles are $4.49 when they are not on sale!! It is also Kroger brand but it’s the “concentrated” regular bleach.🙄 Everything is so expensive right now, it’s ridiculous.
Your local WalMart will at least have 128oz, 10%, for $4.97/gallon. Pool section. There's no options in grocery isles, anywhere.

Your local WalMart will at least have 10% for $4.97/gallon.
I try to avoid Walmart at all costs (due to how crazy busy it is and the one closest to me is in a really bad area lol), but I just might have to check out their deals. I only spend what I do because of convenience. All we have in my town is Kroger, CVS, Dollar Tree, and True Value (my go-to for 10% liquid chlorine when it is actually in stock!!!!) Unfortunately, they are all pretty expensive except Dollar Tree lol. I’ll just have to go to Columbus for my liquid chlorine, I suppose lol

Regular bleach, at least in the olden days before all the “high efficiency” nonsense, used to be 6% sodium hypochlorite. Cleaning/disinfecting bleach was 1.5% to 3% and concentrated bleach was 8.25%.

Nowadays … who knows. Just toss it in the pool and hope for the best ….

Product Name: Check this out Bleach Regular

Description of product: Liquid Bleach

Product UPC: 0 11110 04806 6

Distributor Name: The Kroger Co.

Product UPC 0 11110 04806 6

Chemical Name .................. Weight-%

Sodium hypochlorite...............1 - 5

View attachment 443515
Well sheesh….1 and 5 percent is a big gap lol! Thank you for looking it up!!

Reactions: JamesW
KIK is the company that makes the (Mostly stupid) Clorox Pool and Spa chemicals.

2013: KIK signs licensing agreement with The Clorox Company to launch Clorox® Pool&Spa™ branded pool and spa treatment products.

Our Pool business is a leading supplier of pool and spa treatment products in North America and key international markets with a broad brand and product portfolio encompassing both the Mass and Specialty Retailer channels.

We are well known for our Clorox® Pool & Spa™ (under license), Pool Time® and Pool Essentials® products in North American retailers. Our professional channels in North America include BioGuard® (also in Australia & South Africa) and Natural Chemistry®, with our Bayrol® brand all across Europe.

Maybe contact Steve Olinger, who is the President of the Household Division responsible for overseeing KIK’s North American Private Label and Branded Household products business.

Maybe call him to ask what the percentage is and why the percentage is not listed on the label.

Also, tell him to knock it off with the stupid Clorox products with things like copper in their trichlor.

1659656153846.png

Last edited:
KIK makes most of the liquid chlorine in North American. They are one of Clorox Corporation’s primary licensees.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.