Help! Leslie's said I need to drain my pool, True or False?

Jul 19, 2021
West Texas
So here's my situation... I have been a pool owner for about two months. I have a 22' above ground Coleman pool from Walmart (about 10,500 gal.). I upgraded to a sand filter after my first algae takeover and things have seemed okay since then. We have had quite a bit of rain lately, very unusual for west Texas. The pool was a little cloudy after I vacuumed so I shocked it with 1lb of shock that I get from Sam's club. The next day it was still cloudy so I put in some "Clear Aid" from Leslie's and two days later I have backswimmers and a slightly green tint. I took a sample to Leslie's and the guy behind the counter told me to drain 75% of the pool and refill it and then come back for a water test. I have attached the printout of my water test. Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_8204.JPG
    IMG_8204.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8203.JPG
    IMG_8203.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 57
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Most everything the pool store told you or sold you won't help. In fact, they are the ones who sold you the stabilizer products that made your CYA so high to begin with. Drain your water, and they'll be happy to sell you more of it so you can do this all over again in about 6 months. You have to cut that cord.

Get yourself a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit right away. Test your own water and post those results back here. We'll help you. But to answer the basic question .... the only way to lower CYA is to exchange some water. But don't trust their testing. It's often flawed.

5EB6FD8A-E5FC-48E8-9B53-171B0E82A833.jpeg

Hey Don….. or is that don’t ? *giggles*. Anywho, welcome !! Don’t do a THING until you get accurate #s. Draining 75% of your pool is HUGE on a guess. Both to rebalance the new water and the inherent risks of draining any pool. To top that all off, some folks have trouble getting rid of the water and/or replacing it.

Don’t guess. Know before you do a thing. Order a TF-100 from tftestkits.net. It’s 1/3 the cost of *1* trip to the pool store.

Reactions: wgipe
Case and point : On June 1st OPs pool store said he had a 115 CYA and needed to drain. He got a reliable test kit and did not need to drain at all.

Okay, I just ordered the K2006 but allow me to complicate it a little more. I am headed out of town in a couple of days and will be away from the pool for at least a week. Should I just let it ride and deal with the science experiment when I get back?

Last edited:
So we usually recommend 5 ppm chlorine a day while waiting for the kit (per pool math….. download the app for free, it’s awesome). It doesn’t solve anything but it generally stops them from getting exponentially worse.

Do you have anybody (friend/family/neighbors kid) who could add 1/2 gallon a day at a time when the pump is running ?

I just got back from out of town and instead of having someone help me while I was gone I decided to go ahead and drain the pool so I could address some of the legs that needed to be adjusted. I also realized its only going to cost me $7/ 1 thousand gal of water so why not just start over. That said... When doing a fresh fill, do yall have any guidance for me?

Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Start 30 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer dissolving using the sock method. Test the pH and TA and adjust the pH into the 7's.
Maintain your FC based on your CYA using FC/CYA Levels
Once the initial CYA is dissolved, target 50 ppm CYA and add more stabilizer.

Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Start 30 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer dissolving using the sock method. Test the pH and TA and adjust the pH into the 7's.
Maintain your FC based on your CYA using FC/CYA Levels
Once the initial CYA is dissolved, target 50 ppm CYA and add more stabilizer.
So I'm a major rookie... When you say ppm, how do I translate that into oz/gal? Do I just go to the pool supply store for liquid clorine and is CYA shock just regular pool shock? The shock I have is 99% Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione Hydrated and 1% "Other Ingredients". It says 55.5% Available Chlorine. Should I add while it is filling? or wait until its full?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.