HELP Leaks everywhere

Danor

Apr 25, 2020
Canada
Posted this in water chemistry by accident so I am reposting.

I am in Montreal, Quebec. Just opened up the pool. This morning I started the pump and noticed that every union is leaking and it’s leaking at the pressure gauge and it’s leaking at the top of the filter. I’ve had the pool for 8 years and I’ve never had this happen ever. Normally, only when I reconnect the salt cell but then after a few adjustments, it’s fine. But this year, every union past the pump is leaking. I’ve tried reconnecting them, loosening them, tightening them. I’ve greased the o-rings, put teflon tape. Same result.

How could they all be leaking at once?

Thanks for your input.

Not sure what type of pool and fittings you have, my guess would be that over the winter thje temperature changes caused everything to move. If you have unions with o-rings you shouldn't need teflon tape. start at one end, loosen the unions, regrease the o-rings, make sure the pipes are aligned, then re-tighten and move to the next one. If you still have issues, look to see if the pad shifted and put everything out of alignment that way.

Not sure what type of pool and fittings you have, my guess would be that over the winter thje temperature changes caused everything to move. If you have unions with o-rings you shouldn't need teflon tape. start at one end, loosen the unions, regrease the o-rings, make sure the pipes are aligned, then re-tighten and move to the next one. If you still have issues, look to see if the pad shifted and put everything out of alignment that way.

Thanks. Just had a quick lunch and headed back out again. I loosened everything, removed the o-rings, greased them and put them back in. Tightened everything. There are 2 unions lined up parallel to the ground and those are no longer leaking. The other 3 unions pointing directly down towards the ground are still leaking. In 8 years, I had never touched any of them.

All of your o-rings are exposed to the same conditions and will often fail around the same time. That's why the pool guy suggests replacing them all if he finds one leaking. Odds are, the others aren't far behind.
That being said, is it colder than your usual start-up? Rubber expands with warmth and fittings will often leak if cold and stop once things warm up a few degrees.

All of your o-rings are exposed to the same conditions and will often fail around the same time. That's why the pool guy suggests replacing them all if he finds one leaking. Odds are, the others aren't far behind.
That being said, is it colder than your usual start-up? Rubber expands with warmth and fittings will often leak if cold and stop once things warm up a few degrees.
Good point - it is earlier than most years. It’s only 58 - I am a little over eager with the Covid-19 situation. I guess I will wait a week or so. I might order a few to have handy if the situation persists.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.