Help! I've spent over 900$ in three weeks and still can't swim!

What does that mean?
Channeling happens when sand gets over saturated with years of grime and goo. It means the gunk in the sand has hardened somewhat and the water has carved channels into the sand, so a lot of dirt passes through the channels and back into the pool. I don't think that is your problem.

Check all the hose connections between the skimmer and the pump and make sure they are tight. You can check for an air leak by smearing a little shaving cream or really foamy soap suds around the edge of the hose. If you see the soap getting sucked in then you have an air leak. If the soap just sits there the connection is good. Some of the soap will drip and fall off, just watch for any being sucked into the hose opening. You may need a small mirror to see the underside of the hose.

Reactions: amraney
Okay...I'll try that...i sure hope
Channeling happens when sand gets over saturated with years of grime and goo. It means the gunk in the sand has hardened somewhat and the water has carved channels into the sand, so a lot of dirt passes through the channels and back into the pool. I don't think that is your problem.

Check all the hose connections between the skimmer and the pump and make sure they are tight. You can check for an air leak by smearing a little shaving cream or really foamy soap suds around the edge of the hose. If you see the soap getting sucked in then you have an air leak. If the soap just sits there the connection is good. Some of the soap will drip and fall off, just watch for any being sucked into the hose opening. You may need a small mirror to see the underside of the hose.
I dont have to dig up the part that is under ground. But wouldn't it be pulling in dirt if the leak was under ground or would the filter it before i coukd see it? And also I just had my sand changed like 3 weeks ago. So yeah I don't think it would be channeling but I'm not the expert.

Air leaks are on the suction side, between the pool and the pump. Once it leaves the pump for the filter is the pressure side, and any leaks would squirt water out instead of suck air in. Air can be sucked in from lose plumbing connections, such as hose clamps that need to be tightened, glue joints that have weakened, o-rings on pump pot lids that need lube, loose pump pot drain plug, low pool water level, and a visible vortex in the skimmer. One of these conditions is going on for it to be sucking air. If you have pvc pipes that are partially buried dirt would usually seal up the leak. It wouldn't suck a lot of dirt into the pool. You can also test for leaks by running a water hose over each glue joint, drain plug and pump lid.
This video shows how that works.

Maybe the sand is channeling?
Good call.

Adding DE sounded like a good idea until you mentioned that. The water is cloudy enough now that if the DE blows through, he won't see it and it will get worse. I just went back and checked. Already had new sand recently.

So go ahead and add DE or cellulose DE replacement

Air leaks are on the suction side, between the pool and the pump. Once it leaves the pump for the filter is the pressure side, and any leaks would squirt water out instead of suck air in. Air can be sucked in from lose plumbing connections, such as hose clamps that need to be tightened, glue joints that have weakened, o-rings on pump pot lids that need lube, loose pump pot drain plug, low pool water level, and a visible vortex in the skimmer. One of these conditions is going on for it to be sucking air. If you have pvc pipes that are partially buried dirt would usually seal up the leak. It wouldn't suck a lot of dirt into the pool. You can also test for leaks by running a water hose over each glue joint, drain plug and pump lid.
This video shows how that works.
Thanks...I will try that tomorrow. I started with the soapy water and was having a hard time....that seems like a easier way to test.

Good call.

Adding DE sounded like a good idea until you mentioned that. The water is cloudy enough now that if the DE blows through, he won't see it and it will get worse. I just went back and checked. Already had new sand recently.

So go ahead and add DE or cellulose DE replacement
So will this improve or speed up the process that much? What should I expect when I add the DE?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You add a little bit of DE to the skimmer, about a cup's worth. It will form a layer on top of the sand bed in the filter and capture smaller particles than the sand does. Expect the filter pressure to rise more quickly, as the DE is taking up space in the filter and will trap more dirt. Backwash when filter pressure rises by 20%. Fresh DE will need to be added after a backwash.

You add a little bit of DE to the skimmer, about a cup's worth. It will form a layer on top of the sand bed in the filter and capture smaller particles than the sand does. Expect the filter pressure to rise more quickly, as the DE is taking up space in the filter and will trap more dirt. Backwash when filter pressure rises by 20%. Fresh DE will need to be added after a backwash.
So will that shoot out anything into my pool? I was wondering if I will see any changes there?

So will that shoot out anything into my pool? I was wondering if I will see any changes there?
It better not. But if it does, then you'll know your problem is in your filter.

Adding the DE to a sand filter is like setting window screen atop chicken wire, but microscopic. If any of it comes through into the pool, your chicken wire is torn.

Also I've noticed my pump basket isn't filling up all the way with water like it use to. I see bubbles coming out the return now alot. The water level sits just below the lid now...but my water level in pool is good. I've read on other people's forums about maybe a leak or maybe bleeding the air line and I don't think I have one of those. I'm not sure though....how would I fix this? And would it be causing any problems with my water being cloudy?

I noticed that when the door on my skimmer got stuck that it would cause the pump basket to get air in it and bubbles to come out of my return.

So I was planning on adding the D.E. to my filter tomorrow, because I'm off work, but when I was home on my lunchbreak today I could see the bottom of my pool. Yay!! Still a little cloudy but way better than Tuesday when I wrote last. Should I still go through with adding the D.E. or just see what happens in the next few days?

Reactions: jeffr47
Entirely up to you. D.E. May speed things up a little, but eventually the filter will clear the debris if you keep the pump running.
Okay...I think I'll go ahead and try it.
Also I tried to find where my air was coming in at with the water hose and had no luck. Any other ideas? And exactly what happens if you have air in your line? I've read that it slows your suction but does it hurt anything else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.