Help identifying which valves shut off my drains

DeptOfMeteors

Jul 8, 2020
Ottawa
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I have 2 drains in my pool and 1 skimmer. I want to shut the drains so I can run the vacuum through the skimmer w/maximum suction. I believe the answer is in at least 1 of these valves.
It seems that probably at least one of these valves in the attachment will do it. I thought maybe the Pentair control panel I have would shut them off, but I called them and they said that the control panel doesn't do that. (Strange since it has some circuit breakers labelled "valves") Instead, they said there should be some manual valves I operate. I would appreciate if someone could help me identify them.
If you can't identify them, then can you at least reassure me that it's impossible to break anything by having the wrong value configuration? The reason I'm posting, instead of doing trial and error, is that I'm worried the pump will blow itself or something else up.
I should point out that I have solar panels as well as a gas heater. Some of these values might be for them.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 17
You only have one valve that controls your suction and the choice of two positions.

Right now both pipes are open for suction.

You can move the handle 90 degrees right or left to close pipe 1 or 2.

Do NOT turn the valve 180 degrees to close off the pipe into the pump.

If you can't get yoru vacuum to work adequately I suggest you look at robot pool cleanres. They colean pools much better and with less effort by you then a vacuum through the pump.

valves.jpg

So I take it you are saying that through trial and error I should switch the valve between the 1 and 2 positions and see what that gets me. I'm asking because I find "NO!" as well as the omittion of any regard for the valve attached to the filter ambiguous.

So I take it you are saying that through trial and error I should switch the valve between the 1 and 2 positions and see what that gets me.

Yes.

I'm asking because I find "NO!" as well as the omittion of any regard for the valve attached to the filter ambiguous.

Do not put the valve handle opposite of NO!

What valve attached to the filter?

D,

Pointing the handle at #2 will shut off pipe #1.

Pointing the handle at #1 will shut off pipe #2

Pointing the handle away from the word "NO" will shut off all the water going into your pump.

One of the two numbered pipes goes to your Skimmer

One of the two numbered pipes goes to your Main Drain.. You only have one main drain, it just has two covers.

Only you can tell which pipe is which.

When the main drain is fully on, the skimmer will have zero suction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The valve attached to the filter is that other valve which seems to be of a similar (but not identical) model as the valve you marked. I don't know what it does, but my best guess is that it has something to do w/the heating facilities. But is anyone certain that valve has nothing to do w/the drains/skimmer?
BTW, I have a robot cleaner, but it's a pain. After using it for about 5 minutes, it complains that the filters need cleaned. When it's finished, it hasn't done as good a job as I would have w/a vacuum connected to a skimmer.

The valve attached to the filter is that other valve which seems to be of a similar (but not identical) model as the valve you marked. I don't know what it does, but my best guess is that it has something to do w/the heating facilities.

What heating facilities do you have?

How about showing us complete pictures of all of your pool equipment?

But is anyone certain that valve has nothing to do w/the drains/skimmer?

Pretty certain.

BTW, I have a robot cleaner, but it's a pain. After using it for about 5 minutes, it complains that the filters need cleaned. When it's finished, it hasn't done as good a job as I would have w/a vacuum connected to a skimmer.

What model robot cleaner do you have?

I have a gas heater and solar panels. Another look at those black valves suggests that I was right about the one against the filter controlling the heating. The pipe out of that valve that goes through a nearby wall is going to the gas heater. Maybe that valve is a matter of choosing between the gas heater and the solar panels. :unsure:
I've included more pictures. I think they include everything you'd be interested in. Yes, I saw that also: needs more salt.
As you can see, I have 2 more blue valves, which look like they are for draining.
So does this give a clearer understanding of my setup?
The cleaner that I find more trouble than it's worth is a Kreepy Krauly Prowler 320.

Attachments

• chlor0.jpg
    chlor0.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 3
  • chlor1.jpg
    chlor1.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 3
  • cp.jpg
    cp.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 3
  • cp+gfi.jpg
    cp+gfi.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 5
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 5
  • gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 5
  • solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 4
  • VsPF0.jpg
    VsPF0.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 4
  • VsPF1.jpg
    VsPF1.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 4
D,

Just to be picky... You do not have a robot, you have a suction side cleaner.. A robot is a low voltage cleaner that does not need the pump running to work..

Like this...

I never add salt just because the low salt light is on, unless I know the "actual" salt level of the pool water first. I use my Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.. IntelliChlor SWCG's have a poor history of reporting the correct salt level.. If the actual salt level is at the correct level and the low salt light is on, this is a good indication that the cell's thermistor is bad.. The thermistor is inside the cell's flow switch, which can be replaced.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My suction side cleaner doesn't require a pump either. It has its own filter which it says gets clogged every 5 minutes.

As for my original problem, I set the valve to 1 (shutting off the pump during transition, of course) and it didn't seem to make a difference, in that my skimmer was still working, then set it to 2 and the skimmer stopped working. However, the flow and pressure seemed normal so I assume that the drains weren't working for the first test, but were working for the 2nd.

Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well that explains the confusion but it's a robot not a suction side cleaner. Suction side cleaners use the same vacuum line as manual vacuums. You might need to give the robot's filters a chemical cleaning. Can you post pics of the pool water & the filters from the robot?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.