Help identifying? Green stuff coming back every couple days after vacuuming

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
We've had a perfect pool to this point, but have my first battle on my hands with this stuff. Hoping some expert eyes can help me identify what this is I'm fighting. Chemistry looks to be in good shape I think:

FC = 6
pH = 7.5
TA = 75
CH = 100
Salt = 3600

I have a SWG and have run my pump 24/7 at 1400rpm ever since it was built earlier this year and keep FC at about 5. Always been crystal clear up to this point.

Thanks in advance!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

During your SLAM, use your brush to lightly brush the liner. I would use a small microfiber towel to get behind skimmer plates and light nice. Tuck in and move back and forth to remove any junk back there. You eventually may need to remove the light to clean back there, but for now, I would attempt all this. More importantly is the steps need to be cleaned by hand and probably a magic eraser. Take your time, break up the biofilm to suspend all that algae on the steps.

Ironically my friend had the same issue and it was probably a lack of circulation. If you do not have jets in the steps, then you must periodically break down any biofilm (even if you can not see) with something like a magic eraser or sponge. No need to scrub hard either.

Catanzaro....thanks for the advice. I do not have jets in my steps so I will heed your advice. I guess my only question at this stage is how would this algae be able to thrive since I have a SWG and have always kept FC at appropriate levels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Catanzaro....thanks for the advice. I do not have jets in my steps so I will heed your advice. I guess my only question at this stage is how would this algae be able to thrive since I have a SWG and have always kept FC at appropriate levels?

Extremely simple "Circulation" and this is why I asked if you had jets in your steps. You could keep your levels double of your minimum, but certain areas of pools lack circulation. I have 6 returns, 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, and 2 in the steps. This year, I changed out my circulators for regular eyeball returns (Fusion). I aimed 2 upwards to push leaves into the skimmers and those areas alone after a few days showed algae spots (all due to circulation). Personally, I use the circulators as it literally eliminates the need for brushing and increases circulation as they rotate.

This is why we highly recommending weekly brushing to avoid situations like this. Probability is that the pool was not used as much, meaning that chlorinated water was not travelling towards the steps, therefore limiting or reducing the circulation.

Catanzaro,

As for circulation, what are my options (if any), now that my pool is already built and large concrete deck poured, to improve my circulation? I only have one skimmer, two jets and two main drains. Wondering if there's any way to do it without busting up deck?

Catanzaro,

As for circulation, what are my options (if any), now that my pool is already built and large concrete deck poured, to improve my circulation? I only have one skimmer, two jets and two main drains. Wondering if there's any way to do it without busting up deck?

Just brush the pool and the steps. Nothing you can do about circulation.

Catanzaro,

The One & Only Circulator

You can look at the circulators (no guarantee, but this worked for my friend and cut his brushing time down a lot). He only has one skimmer, one main drain and 2 returns (deep and shallow), but does have 2 returns in the steps. There are 2 types (The mega and the regular ones). I would call the owner directly and find out if the mega will fit. The mega are designed for 2" plumbing, and will fit 1.5" plumbing, but the backing has to be 4" in depth, and 2" in width. My friend had a pool built in where the mega fit one deep end and not the other 2 returns. The pool company is claiming everything is the same, which is not.

My other friend has one mega and one regular and they both work. The issue is pressure as well. The mega, being larger will stop water and make the return spin freely. The smaller version may not spin freely and will require the adapter. Also, some people have reported that the pressure has increased significantly as well. For me, the pressure rise is .5 PSI will all 6 returns in the pool, plus the 2 step returns do not fit (too large of returns).

Outside of this, you will not be breaking up concrete. Only option is to brush frequently and possibly purchase the circulators. Keep the steps clean with your sponge, et. Do it while in the pool as this will be more fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.