Help Identifying Algae or Pollen

AlexBB

Jun 15, 2020
PA
Hello,

First post and came across this site from researching DIY pool care. I just moved into a house a few weeks ago that has a pool and I started noticing this build up on the bottom of the pool. At first I thought it was pollen because there are several tall trees behind the pool, but then I came across mustard algae online and they appear the same. Can anybody tell by pictures what this is?

I appreciate your help,
Alex

Attachments

• Pool 1.png
    Pool 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • Pool 2.png
    Pool 2.png
    762.8 KB · Views: 48
Hey Alex !

Pollen usually has two telltale signs and its very feasable for PA right now.

1) its everywhere. Your patio, the car, the street, etc
2) you have .5 CCs or less and/or pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

What do your tests look like ?

Reactions: Tatum4701
Hey Alex !

Pollen usually has two telltale signs and its very feasable for PA right now.

1) its everywhere. Your patio, the car, the street, etc
2) you have .5 CCs or less and/or pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

What do your tests look like ?
Thanks a lot for the response. We just had a major storm and it rained so much that I actually had to get a pump and drain the pool so it threw everything off. I lost power for 4 days and couldn't run the pump. Prior to the storm I was at FC 2 and TC 2, but now my TC is at 0.5 and I've been running boost on the SWG to get it up but I'm going to add liquid chlorine to get it up and look into the slam article now. When all the tests looked good even before, I still had those buildups on the bottom of the pool. I will get my chlorine up and then try that overnight test

will get my chlorine up and then try that overnight test
Solid plan. Keep us posted !

Also, i just cleaned my cartridge filters and they were caked with pollen. Whether or not your immediate issue is pollen, your filter probably looks like mine if it hasn't been cleaned/backwashed. Ooooh thats another thing, fill out your signature so everyone knows what you are working with by an easy glance.

Reactions: AlexBB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.