Help. I removed cover to find a foot of water left in my inground pool!!

Highfargone

Apr 4, 2020
East Syracuse NY
I’ve opened and closed my own pool since 2012. This is the first year I’ve lost so much water. And worse, I fear I’ve discovered it too late. It’s a 20 ft octagon shaped unground. 15000 gallons. With a skinner, 1 return and a bottom drain.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Welcome! :wave: Some things to consider quickly:
- Find the source of the leak. If it's a tear, patch it and refill. If it's related to the drain (or hydrostatic valve if installed), close-off the drain and decide whether to repair yourself, see if anyone is available to repair, or just leave it closed.
- Condition of the liner? Is it still flexible or brittle? Did it start pulling away from the wall or attached areas near the coping that may require professional assistance?
- How old is the liner? 2012 as well? Maybe time to replace?

Highfargone

Apr 4, 2020
East Syracuse NY
I bought the house in 2012 with no knowledge of when the liner was installed. No one knew. It seems to be in good shape. It’s not pulling away from coping. But it does have some considerable wrinkling.

Highfargone

Apr 4, 2020
East Syracuse NY
I’m hoping it is the drain. I spoke to someone and asked if that could be the problem. I was told if that was the case all the water would be gone. But if it is a gradual leak that may not be true

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I’m hoping it is the drain. I spoke to someone and asked if that could be the problem. I was told if that was the case all the water would be gone. But if it is a gradual leak that may not be true
Sure. I guess it depends on if your water has finally stopped dropping, or if a hyrdostatic valve (if equipped) was partially stuck open at some point. It doesn't take much of a tear to lose water. They can be incredibly tough to find at times.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
It could also be a very slow leak and the water level hasnt gotten to that spot yet, whether it is the drain or a pinhole in the cove.