Help! I have metals

I was reading up on the sparkle conquest . It does say to treat the pool, turn off the pump and let the precipitate fall out and vacuum up the next morning, then repeat the process daily until there is no more precipitate in the morning. If I am reading this correctly you can add chlorine between doses.

You probably got a mini algae bloom started when the FC was 0. Keep raising the FC to your target range for a CYA of 45.

Do you know where the metals in your pool water came from?

From what I understand after an AA treatment your to only raise the chlorine to minimum level or the stains could reappear. At this point I'm not comfortable slamming the pool. My numbers look good. As far as where the metals came from? No telling. I bought this house/pool year and 1/2 ago as a foreclosure so no telling what was put in prior. After inspection I know they put in an algicide before closing. I've been following TFP for 6 months.

Nope, no well water. No telling what previous owners put in. Pool has been perfect but noticed the liner had a yellow tint...hence the AA treatment. Liner looks great now just can't get rid of the cloudiness which I know has to b the sequestration

Pool LOOKS clear but I know what my normally sparkly pool looks like. When I turn the light on at night looks like wispy clouds floating around. It has now been 2 weeks and I can't get rid of it!

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 75
CA 75
Cya 45

Well flip...and that's really not what I want to say!!! This is a vicious cycle! As soon as I bring my FC higher than 3 my steps start to yellow. Using 16 oz of Jacks Magic for maintenance each week and the water clouds up. I experimented by sprinkling some AA on the steps. Steps clear up and the pool looks great. As soon as I use the sequesturant the water gets cloudy. And it's getting expensive. The Jacks M is $25 for 32 oz bottle. any harm in just using AA each week without the squestrant ... Oh, other than it lowers chlorine/ph right? The liner looks so much better without the yellowish staining but I'm beginning to feel like I'm just running around in a circle. Brush, vac almost daily and backwash when psi goes up.

FC 4.5
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 75
CYA 50
CYA 40

Well,,,cuss word, cuss word, cuss word!! Terrible storm last night. Ended up w bunch of trash. Raised FC from 3-6 last night.to make sure I didn't end up w algae bloom before I could get pool clean this morn..instead, I woke up with a nice clear emerald green pool. FC didn't drop overnight, no CC ..... I did a good job of releasing those dang metals. Sequestrant isn't helping ... Back to square one of AA treatment

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 75
CH 75
CYA 35

Before pics of AA treatment today....after getting the trash out from last nights storm
URL=http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/smforte1/media/imagejpg1_zps49efd0f5.jpg.html]
imagejpg1_zps49efd0f5.jpg
[/URL]

1 hour later....getting ready for another afternoon storm ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whoa. What is the source of the metals? ...don't know what previous owner added and don't have well water - okay.

Have you had the fill water tested for metals? Can you call your water department and confirm low or no ppm of metals?

About the only way you can get off this merry-go-round is to do a water dance and replace lots of water- in steps (don't disturb the liner) and refill with water that does not have metals. This is what I would do.

You could get the AA treatment going, watch stains lift, then start the drain/refill and flush all/most of the stains and metals out.

Water can be/is expensive, but so is sequestrant.

- - - Updated - - -

....gonna have to start eating beans!
It's been a long time since I've heard that one! :lol:

Your right Butterfly....looks like I'm gonna have to do drain, refill....is it affective to do it in small parts? This is driving me nuts! Pool would be beautiful if it weren't for these stains. Spending a small fortunate on AA and sequestrants I seriously think I'm not adding enough sequestrants. Having a hard time justifying $50 week to the hubs!

Earlier in the thread you stated you are not on well water. Take a sample of your fill water to be tested for metals. If the test is negative you can drain down as low as 1 foot in the shallow end. Refill and retest the water for metals. You can also do a series of smaller drain and refill cycles if you are concerned about floating the liner.

I'll prob do a smaller series of drains....think I'll wait til right before I close it up for the winter. In the last 5 weeks so far I've used for sequestrants;
1 container of sparkle conquest which clouded my water for 3 weeks
2 bottles of Jacks Magic
2 bottles of Sea Klear

All have the phosphoric acid....

I'll prob do a smaller series of drains....think I'll wait til right before I close it up for the winter.
What? :shock: You close your pool in Bama?!! Okay, if that's what you wanna do :p

Please let us know how things go after the drain/refill dance.

Have you had the fill water tested yet - from the tap, not from the pool? :smile:

Wish I didn't have to "close".....actually just cover, but I have tons of pines and oak trees around my pool and the debris is unreal. I wanted to see my water all year but after the first few weeks of owning the house last fall ran out and bought a leaf net and covered it with that. Still major debris. Amazing how those lil pine needles can go right thru the net.

But, No haven't tested tap....I did have it tested at Leslie's last year and they said high copper. I just don't believe anything they say. On my way to another pool store this morn to purchase some AA (I usually buy online but ran out) and start over. May try yet again another sequestrant.

Wish I didn't have to "close".....actually just cover, but I have tons of pines and oak trees around my pool and the debris is unreal. I wanted to see my water all year but after the first few weeks of owning the house last fall ran out and bought a leaf net and covered it with that. Still major debris. Amazing how those lil pine needles can go right thru the net.

But, No haven't tested tap....I did have it tested at Leslie's last year and they said high copper. I just don't believe anything they say. On my way to another pool store this morn to purchase some AA (I usually buy online but ran out) and start over. May try yet again another sequestrant.

You had the tap water tested and it was high copper? or, the pool water?

You can grab a sample of tap water to take to this other pool store :wink:

Trip to pool store....wanted them to test for metals and darn lady threw out my water before doing it. Their numbers and mine pretty much the same. Letting my FC drift down to add AA

Mine
FC 2.5
CC .5
Ph 7.5
TA 75
Ch 75
Cya 45

Theirs

FC 2.65
CC .5
Ph 7.65
TA 90
Ch 70.....tried to sell me 25 lbs of CH.... I didn't bite
Cya 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.